Spixworth run continues

Spixworth United 2 Acle United 1A goal, two minutes from time by Ben Gowing ensured Spixworth's winning run continued on Tuesday with a 2-1 victory over Acle.

Spixworth United 2 Acle United 1

A goal, two minutes from time by Ben Gowing ensured Spixworth's winning run continued on Tuesday with a 2-1 victory over Acle.

This win meant, for the first time this season Spixworth have won three successive league games. Nine points from these three games have seen us move toward the mid-table area. With two games remaining, both at home, supporters hopes are that we finish the season with a flourish.

On a very pleasant evening a sizeable crowd assembled and enjoyed an entertaining game played on a difficult surface. Considering the large amount of snow and rain during the long winter, playing surfaces are currently very dry and rock hard. Early evening games always present team selection problems due to work commitments and Tuesday was no exception. With Luke Humphries and Ramsay Gashut unavailable, James Richardson suspended, Spixworth named coach Neil Prior as substitute. Our visitors too, experienced problems, having to field a relatively young line up.

Play opened at a considerable pace, the youthful visitors contributing to a lively opening but Spixworth were quick to seize the initiative. Taking the lead after ten minutes when quick thinking at a free-kick twenty five yards from goal allowed Lee Askew to get to the goal line before picking out Andy Hayton at the far post to score from close range.

For the remainder of the half Spixworth appeared comfortable, Duncan Whitlam and Andy Hayton both having good efforts saved. Acles best chance of an equaliser came midway through the half with a header which cannoned off the crossbar. Spixworth coach Neil Prior, was called into action after thirty minutes replacing the injured Ryan Smith. As the half finished Acle enjoyed their best spell of the game penning Spixworth into their own half for several minutes. Despite enjoying territorial advantage they found Spixworths defence in resolute mood!

Most Read

Carrying on where they had left off after the break, Acle levelled the scores in the fifty first minute capitalising on a mistake by keeper Ross Bilham. Acle continued to threaten but despite enjoying the greater share of play failed to create many openings.

Spixworth, led by skipper Ben Gowing who was outstanding throughout, weathered the storm and began to create chances. Duncan Whitlam twice tested the visitors keeper before having to leave proceedings injured. Damian Didwell, Andy Hayton and Lee Askew all went close before a bizarre incident when a Spixworth goal was chalked off for offside despite an Acle defender diverting the shot over his keeper. Just as it appeared the result would end in a draw Ben Gowing rose above everyone at a corner to score with a towering header to ensure all three points for Spixworth.

John Keymer