Spixworth United notes

Spixworth United 3, Scole United 0: Spixworth progressed to the next round of the Senior knockout cup with a comfortable 3-0 victory over division one side Scole United on Saturday.


Spixworth progressed to the next round of the Senior knockout cup with a comfortable 3-0 victory over division one side Scole United on Saturday. A sizeable crowd enjoyed an entertaining cup tie played in blazing sunshine. Spixworth were boosted by the return of regular central defenders Mark Bloomfield and Ben Gowing following their suspension, allowing Luke Humphrey to return to his more familiar left back role. Peter Williams made a first start in midfield, replacing Ryan Smith taking a place on the substitutes bench.

Both teams served notice of their intentions to attack during a hectic opening period. Scole had already gone close before striking an upright in the tenth minute, fortunately for Spixworth the ball rebounded away from the visiting forwards. Within two minutes Spixworth had taken the lead when a retreating Scole defence allowed Lee Askew time and space to score from twenty yards. Spixworth now seized control of proceedings, Ramsay Gashut wasted a great chance, Dan Allen had a goal disallowed before the home side eventually increased their lead after twenty nine minutes. A long free kick into a crowded penalty box was collected by Dan Allen who slotted home from six yards. Shortly after the second goal Damian Didwell limped off with a calf strain , being replaced by Josh Barzey. Scole then enjoyed a good spell, a goal bound effort was cleared off the line, keeper Ross Bilham had to be alert making two fine saves. Five minutes before the interval Spixworth went further ahead, Peter Williams and Ramsay Gashut caught the Scole defence napping with a short corner from which Ramsay weaved his way into the penalty area and confidently scored.

Scole began the second half with determination creating two good chances in the opening five minutes. Indeed, Scole enjoyed a very good period during which they continually tested the home defence. To their credit Spixworths defence, with Luke Humphrey outstanding, competently dealt with the Scole attacks. Ryan Smith was introduced on the hour, replacing the tiring Peter Williams. Moving into the last quarter play became even with the pace understandably slowing. Spixworth created further chances during the final ten minutes but wayward finishing ensured there would be no further scoring.

A pleasing result and with it a very good team performance. An increased attendance was very noticeable, interest in the club appears to be gathering momentum. A competition has been launched for the design of a new club badge, details of which can be found in the match day programme.

Next week we make the long trip to Dersingham Rovers. On the final Saturday of the month we are at home to Watton United.

Most Read

John Keymer