Spotlight on north Norfolk teams

SHERINGHAM WARRIORS U16 travelled to Costessey and had to play with 10 men, due to late call-offs, but the 4-0 scoreline does not tell the whole story.

Costessey got off to a good start with the Warriors trying to adapt to players playing in different positions and made it 1-0 early on. Cameron Humphrey played up front on his own and kept the Costessey back four on their toes. Tom Todd had to play at right-back and settled into the role really well, snuffing out a lot of Costessey moves. Harry Carrington had to play out right and had a couple of chances which the keeper kept out. Costessey made it 2-0 just before half-time with a ball over top, which split the Warriors’ defence and gave Nathan Lomax in goal no chance. In the second half Jodi Norris and Shane Cox in midfield were doing a lot of good work and creating a lot of opportunities for the team. Josh Glister, who was a left winger, had a couple of good chances, which only just went wide and Cameron also made the keeper work. Josh Dyde and Tommy Bywater with Ali Burghall and Toddy at times came under pressure, but the boys snuffed out most attacks. Costessey made it 3-0. Nathan Lomax pulled off a string of top-drawer saves as the hard-working Warriors tired. Harry shot just wide and Jodi had a goalbound shot tipped over by the keeper. Costessey, who had the luxury of fresh legs, managed to sneak a fourth for 4-0, but all credit to Sheringham who put in an incredible display for 10 men.

CROMER U11 played Worstead Wolves in an exciting end-to-end game. Cromer took an early first-half lead with a long-range strike from Thomas before letting Worstead back into the game with a poorly-defended goal. Cromer exerted pressure for the remainder of the first half resulting in a second goal for Thomas. The second half started evenly but Worstead gradually fought back, scoring two quick goals. The Worstead goalkeeper made some great saves before Aaron scored the equaliser. The game ended with both teams going for the win but neither team could make the breakthrough. Final score 3-3. MoM: Maciek Grabowski, an outstanding performance in goal.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U9 faced Aylsham and were able to continue their winning streak with a comfortable 4-1 victory. Warriors’ first goal was scored by the ever-ready Scales, who slotted the ball into the back of the net after Lambert delivered into the danger area. With Clarke producing some through balls to Scales, Aylsham found themselves having to defend deep. Armstrong and Perry kept the Aylsham defence on their toes with determined battling and helped to force the run of play in favour of the Warriors. Aylsham’s keeper was soon picking EC’s second goal out of the netting when Lawes took the corner and Wells responded with a header. Further attacks came from Armstrong, who sliced the ball over the bar. Aylsham continued to fight, but after a goalmouth scramble, Lambert widened the lead. The second half continued with Warriors continuing to pressurise, which resulted in a medley of shots being fired at the Aylsham keeper by Armstrong, Wells and Clarke. When Warriors faced an Aylsham break, Barrell was there to produce a great clearance header, but the attack continued and Aylsham netted their first. Warriors continued to battle and with Buck’s nifty footwork and speed, they gained control and fired home the fourth from a long-range shot by Scales. Final score: 4-1. Scorers: Scales (2), Lambert, Wells.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U10 were at home to Hindolveston and drew 3-3 in an exciting game. The early stages were end to end with chances in both goalmouths. Hindolveston broke the deadlock when a counter-attack at pace forced Simmons to save, but Whittaker followed up to score. Warriors equalised when Porter-Davies’ shot come pass got a slight touch by Copeman to deceive the keeper and make it 1-1. Warriors went ahead soon after when some good passing between Porter-Davies and Redgrave released Copeman to score and finish off a great move. In the second half, Hindolveston were kept at bay by the impressive Long and reliable Tucker at the back. Copeman intercepted a Hindolveston pass on the halfway line, ran at goal and finished from the edge of the box to make it 3-1. Jarvis put in a lot of hard work to keep the Hindolveston midfield away and Macmillan and Bone came on to battle in midfield and up front. Hindolveston scored two goals to level the score at 3-3 and hit the crossbar in the last minute.

NORTH WALSHAM U14 went ahead after five minutes with a well-taken shot by Copeman with Dereham having been contained mostly in their own half. A Johnson added a second minutes later and Jackson followed up with a third. G Johnson made it four with a well-struck shot after a good passing move and moments later Foster returned a goal-kick with a sweet strike. The game had barely re-started before Foster deftly chipped the keeper for his second. Foster completed his hat-trick after a clever lay-off from G Johnson was blasted into the roof of the net. Jackson scored his second before an excellent header for his third. Early in the second half Jackson scored his fourth, and after continued North Walsham pressure he nothched his fifth. A great strike from G Johnson made it 13 and Walker had a tap-in for 14 as the ball ricocheted around the box. Wright drove in a great strike late on to make it 15-0.

NORTH WALSHAM ANGELS U14 girls visited league leaders Thorpe Rovers with a depleted team, only being able to field eight players. With Emily representing Norfolk, Izzy donned the keeper’s shirt. Sophie S had a niggling back injury but lined up in defence with Jess F and Lucy. Sophie H dropped to right midfield, Zoe moved to the left with Charlotte in the centre, leaving Olivia as lone striker. Angels took the lead when Charlotte’s left-foot strike found the bottom left corner. Thorpe equalised before half-time and gradually made the player advantage tell in the second half. Jess, Lucy and Zoe all needed attention for knocks and Sophie S finally succumbed to her injury and had to leave the field. Thorpe scored three times but even as the final whistle sounded Angels were battling against the odds, looking for another goal. The eight players who started the match should be very proud of their display.