Spotlight on Thetford/Watton

HARLING COLTS U12 won again with this win at Jex. Luke Holland opened the scoring, crashing his shot into the roof of the net. Daniel Mobbs doubled the lead, collecting man-of-the-match Rory Olpin's pass, before beating the keeper with a terrific lob before Holland added another with a great long-range effort.

HARLING COLTS U12 won again with this win at Jex. Luke Holland opened the scoring, crashing his shot into the roof of the net. Daniel Mobbs doubled the lead, collecting man-of-the-match Rory Olpin's pass, before beating the keeper with a terrific lob before Holland added another with a great long-range effort. Mobbs and Holland then combined to set up birthday boy Rorie Knights for the fourth before half-time. Holland completed his hat-trick, converting a brilliant Isaac Watkinson cross.

BRANDON LASSES U11 went into this fixture full of confidence, but sadly did not show the same form as they did the previous week. It was Norwich City Girls who were first to every ball and winning every tackle. Even though the Lasses struggled to get going, they held off Norwich and could have taken the lead when Leah Zawiasa put through Millie Bales for a one-on-one with the keeper but she couldn't net. Norwich continued to put Brandon under pressure but with Ruby Robertson and Suzy Duggan at the back and Katie Amacker in goal, Brandon managed to hold Norwich off. Brandon went close with a couple of counter attacks but it was Norwich who scored first and then added a second soon after. Brandon were not at their best but still creating chances with Georgia Dargan shooting wide just before half-time. Brandon started the second half with Jess Whybrow and Savannah Hatch on the wings trying to create chances for Abbie Craigen up front, but it was the Norwich players first to every ball. The game was becoming a real battle with both sides giving everything in the tackles. With a couple of substitutions taking place 20 minutes into the second half, the Lasses lost concentration and before they could settle down gave away three goals in a crazy six-minute period. This kicked the Lasses into life but, sadly, too late. For the remaining 10 minutes the Lasses played as they can and started passing the ball and attacking the Norwich goal. Millie made some great runs but could not find the final pass. The last few minutes saw the Lasses camped around the Norwich goal but could not find the net. Hard work by the Lasses found Leah with just the goalie to beat but it was saved. This game was a real physical battle where the Lasses needed to take their chances. PoM: Suzy Duggan. Final score: Brandon Lasses 0, Norwich 5.

BRANDON LADS U9 visited Garboldisham and the game was fairly even initially on a very tight pitch. Ben Long was unlucky early on, as was Dawson Davidson, and Callam Horn was denied by an excellent save. Brandon opened the scoring from a corner when Ben Long flighted a beautiful ball in for Jake Vincent to slot in. Jake added another shortly afterwards from a trademark Callam Horn long throw. Brandon started to pile on the pressure and Jake Vincent added three more to his total, two were excellent headers from throw-ins and one a slotted finish from a Callam Horn rebounded shot to give the visitors a 5-0 lead at half-time. Garboldisham were unlucky not to score just after half-time when Will Bales pulled off an excellent save but the ball went quickly up the other end for Dawson Davidson to slot the ball to the on-fire Jake who rounded the keeper for 6-0. Jake returned the favour shortly afterwards, laying the ball off to Davidson to crack the ball past the excellent Garboldisham keeper for 7-0. Not to be outdone, Callam Horn added one with a terrific strike from 35 yards that nearly bust the net open. Back came Garboldisham and they were again unlucky when a shot from 25 yards went just wide. Jake then added two more goals, one from a brilliant cross from Cameron Francis on the right and the other a weaving run 10-0 with 15 minutes to play. In the last 15 minutes Callam Horn hit the crossbar for Jake Vincent to tap in 11-0. Garboldisham scored a well-deserved goal through one of their excellent defenders. Alex Matthews was unlucky not to score but Jake Vincent added another two goals in quick succession, before Callam Horn made a captain's run through everyone to slot the ball home for 14-1. Cameron Francis, on the right, saved the best until last and rifled the ball from 25 yards into the roof of the net. Final score Garboldisham 1, Brandon U9 15. Fair play to Gar-boldisham who never gave up and the game was played in excellent spirit. MoM (voted by Garboldisham): Will Bales.

BRANDON LASSES U15 never really got going in this League Cup semi-final and it was no surprise when Whitton took an early lead. But Lasses got it back through a Tash Rutter header from a corner. Once again the home side took advantage of poor defensive work to go 2-1 up. Back came the Lasses and Rutter hit an unstoppable shot for 2-2. On the stroke of half-time more mix-ups at the back let in Whitton for an interval lead. Once the second half had got under way it was clear Whitton had more determination and it wasn't long before they got a fourth. A penalty converted by Rutter gave her a hat-trick, but as Brandon pressed forward for the equalizer the home side hit two more goals to kill the tie. Lasses play Whitton again in two weeks to decide league runners-up, Brandon will have to play much better than this. PoM: Sasha Dent. Final score: Brandon Lasses U15 3, Whitton U15 6.

BRANDON LADS U13 made the trip to Needham Phoenix to play them for the second time in a week. Brandon started well and soon put pressure on the goal, bringing a string of brilliant saves from the Needham keeper. Brandon were playing some great football and took the lead after a quick Brandon throw-in found Lewis Norton who turned and struck a brilliant strike into the corner of the net. In the second half Brandon found themselves under pressure and Needham soon grabbed two goals but Brandon had a good team spirit and never-say-die attitude about them and took the game to Needham. Brandon had now turned the game around and had the Needham goal under attack, Isaac Allen worked tirelessly on the right wing he thought he had an equaliser with a superb strike from 30 yards out which hit the back of the net only to be disallowed, however Brandon did draw level after another brilliant corner from Harry Rampley saw Jordan Harry make a late run into the box and powerfully head home. Brandon were now looking for the winner which soon came from another throw-in from Rampley who found Norton whose shot was deflected for Charlie Power to calmly place the ball in the back of the net for Brandon to take a deserved 3-2 lead. But from the kick-off Needham made one last attack and were through with the keeper to beat but Jack Field raced off his line to close the attack down and bravely took the ball from the feet of the attacker to bring the three points back to Brandon. This was a massive team performance and every player played their part. Well done to you all. MoM: Lewis Norton, brilliant.

LAKENHEATH LEOPARDS U12 started this away game against a determined Wymondham team looking to take revenge for the last game against Lakenheath. There was early pressure from Lakenheath but Wymondham defended well with their goalkeeper pulling off some fine saves. However, Lakenheath proved too strong for Wymondham and Ben Nolan opened the scoring with a fine-taken goal. From then on it was all Lakenheath, who continued to attack the goal at every opportunity. Eventually Shay Thomson struck in the second from the edge of the box with a well-controlled volley. The half ended with Lakenheath piling on the pressure. Lakenheath made some changes for the second half and came out on the offensive again. However Wymondham's defence held strong for the first 15 minutes with their goalkeeper making a string of good saves. Lakenheath continued to press forward and were rewarded after a fine passing move. Kieron Danbrowsky scored his first of the game with a well-taken shot that beat the goalkeeper. He soon followed up with a second to make it 4-0. Lakenheath continued to push but the Wymondham defence held and the game finished 4-0. Connor Knight was MoM and Danny Gibson won manager's MoM.

Most Read

LAKENHEATH LEOPARDS U12 went into this game with Dereham Stripes after a fine win the day before, so confidence was high. With a mixture of fine passing and running with the ball it wouldn't be long before they scored. The first came from Ben Nolan after a great pass from the midfield. It wasn't long before the second was added by Jamie Allsop, again a fine-taken goal after some terrier-like work. Dereham then stepped up a gear and started to pressure Lakenheath and the defence of Watson, Granger, Johansen and Stiddard were up against it, and Dereham were rewarded with a goal after some missed clearances. This seemed to galvanise Lakenheath and they were rewarded before the end of the half when Jamie Allsop completed his hat-trick. The midfield of Knight, Nolan, Thomson and Gibson held strong and won every ball and this allowed Sam Buckley and Jamie Allsop to run riot in the last third of the pitch. The second half started as the first ended, at a high pace with both teams tackling hard for the ball. However Lakenheath were on a roll with Jamie Allsop adding his fourth and Ben Nolan scoring with a lovely shot from the edge of the box. It was then the turn of Dereham to bring one back when Lakenheath took the eye off the ball and allowed one to cross the line. Sub Kieron Danbrowsky bought some added pace to the front line and soon scored his first goal. From a Lakenheath corner swung in from Ben Nolan, Danny Gibson scored his first goal of the season from close range. The game ended with Kieron Danbrowsky scored his second. Final score 9-2. MoM: Sam Buckley and manager's MoM: Piotr Babicz.

MUNDFORD U11 travelled to Panthers and despite missing a host of chances still ran out comfortable winners. Ryan Harvey and John Pearce went close before Luke Demeyer's through ball was slotted home by Harvey. Soon after Harvey closed down the home side's keeper and was fouled in the box, the same player picked himself to score from the spot. The hat-trick soon arrived after he was first to react after Joe Zipfell's shot rebounded off a post. Just before half-time George Hammond broke up an attack then sent Harvey away and his cross was turned into his own net by a defender. The second half saw wave after wave of attacks from Mundford and from one of these Harry Walker's strong play allowed Harvey to notch another and Jack Sutterby stepped up to crash home a penalty after Zipfell was fouled in the box. Result: Panthers 0, Mundford 6. MoM: George Hammond.

MUNDFORD U9 played Garboldisham U9 in a very exciting game which started off well for Mundford with Harry Cater scoring the first goal which was very quickly followed by a second from Sam Rolph. The second quarter saw Harvey Shorter kick in a left-footer making the score 3-0 at this point. James Gornall kicked a fantastic ball down the side to allow Sam to make it 4-0. At the start of the third quarter Mundford let their defences down and Garboldisham managed to get a goal back. However, this delight for them didn't last long and Mundford put their goalkeeper through his paces with another three goals from Sam and Harvey in this quarter. Not too deflated, Garboldisham carried on fighting right to the end despite Harvey scoring another three goals and Fernando four goals, making the final score 13-1.

THETFORD TOWN U12 played away this week to Wymondham and came home 7-1 winners. Town started the game with 10 men to even the odds to a struggling Wymondham side, but Town found it hard to settle. After 15 minutes a great ball through to Daniel saw him net his first of the game, the goal opened the game up and Town started to get into their stride and started to dominate and capitalise by getting another from Taylor. Town had many more chances but couldn't net and with the ref having a big part in Wymondham's game it was time to bring on the extra player. The second half started a lot more smoothly with some great passing and ball work and eventually another goal this time from Nathan Boulton. This was soon followed by Daniel with his second and Taylor netting a further two, getting his hat-trick. With a couple of minutes to go Jake Smith hit a left-footed scorcher, his first for the team and one to be proud of. Once again to the whole team well done. Thetford MoM: Taylor Deacon. Wymondham MoM: Daniel Jursck.

WEETING U 10 moved into the League Cup final with this second-leg win and a 9-7 aggregate. The visitors went ahead when a sweeping move from one side of the pitch to the other for R Hunter fire home into the top corner and within two minutes B Saberton forced a save from the keeper who was unable to hold on to the ball and J Peeling smashed home. Weeting were in complete control of the game at this point and it took a freak goal for the home team to get back into it when a long bounce went over the keeper's head. The second period was only a few minutes old when N Ward's cross was turned into his own net by an unlucky Wymondam defender. The second half saw the home team take over the game but with the visitors' team in no mood to surrender the cup final spot they restricted them to few shots and when they did get through player-of-the-defence C Sheppard saved well. The final quarter was more even and once again C Sheppard pulled off two excellent save and was unlucky when the home team scored late on. Over the two legs Weeting just about deserved to go to the final at Watton on May 1. MoM: R Hunter.

BULLDOGS U9 hosted unbeaten Brandon in a top-of-the-table clash. Right from the start the match was end to end with Daniel finding space but unable to find a shot while Bulldogs' keeper John was solid to deny Brandon's dangerous forward. Then a hand-ball gave Brandon a penalty but this went wide, at the other end the Brandon keeper made a good save to deny Rhys. Brandon opened the scoring with a thunderbolt strike from distance giving John no chance. Bulldogs responded but Lewis missed a real good chance and Bulldogs were made to pay as Brandon capitalised on sloppy defending to pounce for goal two. The third quarter Bulldogs came out and got back into the game, Joseph was looking dangerous on the wing and from a cross Daniel came close to scoring. Before a cracking move between Jayden, Daniel and Rhys, saw the Brandon keeper make an amazing save with his legs to deny the Bulldogs striker. The last quarter Bulldogs went to four up front and were having chances with a string of Jayden's long throws not being capitalised on. Then on the break Brandon made it 3-0. MoM: Pedro.

BULLDOGS U9 hosted Mulbarton in the league and started well and Daniel threaded through Rhys who fired home. Bulldogs got a second after Luke's long throw came to Daniel who slotted home at the back post. It was quickly three when a rebound was hit at Rhys and flew into the net. Rhys completed his hat-trick after a superb bit of wing play by Joseph played him in to finish. Bulldogs yet again were poor in the second quarter only good defending by Luke and Quinn protected John. Bulldogs then got their fifth when Daniel pounced to hammer into the roof of the net. Mulbarton got a deserved goal as a corner was flicked in by their striker at the front post. The next quarter Quinn took the gloves and John moved up front and smashed in from the edge of the area to make it 6-1. Then a Luke corner came straight the way across for John to hammer home his second. Josh was denied his first ever goal by a good save and Joseph who was on fire on the wing hit a post with an extraordinary effort. The eighth came when Luke was played in by the ever impressive Pedro to slot home from a difficult angle. Luke then took the gloves and only a good save denied John his hat-trick. Bulldogs got their ninth thanks to a good finish from Rhys after Joseph had beaten four players to cross. The last goal deservedly went to Joseph who beat two defenders before tucking in a cool finish. MoM: Luke.

BULLDOGS U9 hosted Indies A in a superb match. Both sides were playing an open game and Pedro, Jayden and Luke were stopping Indies getting any good ball and Daniel and Rhys were putting in a shift to make things happen up top. Indies opened the scoring when their excellent centre midfielder hit a looping shot in but Bulldogs didn't let this deter them and Jayden was having a mammoth game in defence. The second quarter Bulldogs introduced Lewis and Keiran and they soon got into the game causing problems for the Indies defence. Pedro and Jayden were looking excellent still and when the ball did get past them John was on solid form. The next quarter Quinn imposed himself on the game and a string of long balls by Luke didn't get any rewards, Rhys kept trying and he found his chances limited to snap shots, against the impressive Indies goalkeeper. Jayden and Pedro were still looking solid at the back and feeding the balls for Luke to give Quinn and Rhys chances. John was forced to make a good save to deny Indies livewire striker. The last quarter Lewis's direct running style was causing problems and Bulldogs found themselves close to the leveller a few times. Luke and Daniel were close before Luke's goalbound free-kick flicked off the wall. Bulldogs were applying pressure with Luke's long throws and corners but that crucial goal didn't come and Indies won the local derby after a superb match. Bulldogs should be immensely proud of themselves and now look to take third place. This result is a testament of their improvement and Jayden, Pedro and Luke were sensational. MoM: Daniel. A tough match against Lakenheath next.

BULLDOGS U12 visited Scole. Both sides had early possession and it was Bulldogs who had the first chance and were unlucky not to score. Scole opened the scoring to make it 1-0 and although Joseph made a great save Scole scored a rebound to make it 2-0. Bulldogs were working hard but couldn't break Scole down. Alfie was brought down as he headed for goal and Daniel netted the penalty but Scole soon restored the two-goal advantage with a free-kick. Bulldogs were defending well but Scole scored for 4-1. Daniel made it 4-2 with a good finish. MoM: Archie Moore.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9A played in a tight affair against Thetford Bulldogs. There was not much between the two sides despite the two clear victories that Indies already had under their belt against Bulldogs. Indies' Kehan Whitby struck the ball from distance toward the Bulldogs goal and it looped towards the keeper and slipped through his hands. Despite not scoring again, Indies went on to soak up pressure from Bulldogs and withstood the physical pressure they applied admirably. Final score: Bulldogs 0, Indies 1. Man-of-the-match: Konnor Dixon.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9A kept a third clean sheet in a row as they beat Toftwood 3-0. It would have been a much higher scoreline were it not for some wayward shooting . Indies dominated from start to finish with Jordan Bowie opening the scoring midway through the first half followed shortly after by a second from Aiden Try whose shot found its way through a crowded penalty area. Defender Konnor Dixon scored the third goal in the second half with a beautiful strike from distance and it was another defender, Brandon Dawson, who secured the MoM title.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9A played two back-to-back games against Toftwood this weekend caused about by the huge backlog of games brought about by the severe winter weather. Indies once again dominated throughout as they had done in the first match, and it was defender Konnor Dixon (MoM) who stole the show with two strikes. Kehan Whitby's hard work and perseverance paid off with a goal towards the end of the game to make the score 3-0 to Indies, giving them a pleasing nine points out of nine available this weekend.

THETFORD Indies FC, supported by Norfolk County FA, is holding mini soccer coaching sessions at Admirals School for players aged five, six and seven this Saturday 9.30-10.30am. The sessions are filled with skill-based activities and bring fun and enjoyment within a structured environment. Please bring a drink and �1. To register please contact Paul West on 07725 070527.

SWAFFHAM U15 travelled to Tilney U15 winning 3-0. A low key first 20 minutes had both teams labouring to create chances. A well placed free- kick from the left side of halfway from Grant Newman dropped on the edge of the area for Josh Joachim to have his overhead kick bounce awkwardly for the keeper, who held the ball at the second attempt with Josh Colman closing in. Swaffham began to up their play and on the half- hour mark a long throw-in found Colman who dodged two defenders to his the first goal. Tilney dominated early play in the second half, but a long ball from Colman found Lewis Goacher unmarked and he easily hit home the second. Despite Tilney's good play a poor clearance went to Joachim who went wide to hit a first time shot into the net to give Swaffham the points and keep up their top-spot challenge.

WATTON U10 booked their place in the League Cup final, after a tremendous display against visitors Thetford Bulldogs. Leading 5-1 from the first leg, Watton knew that Bulldogs would come at them looking for goals, but a brilliant first-half display saw them kill off the game, and left stand-in goalkeeper Matty Hendrie a virtual spectator. Liam Owen and Kade Bond set the tone of the game, as they broke up every Bulldogs attack, and with Ben Walker, Sam Bray, and James Beaumont outstanding in midfield, Watton passed and moved the ball around superbly. Joshua Walker was also in excellent form up front, and he broke the deadlock in the first quarter with another clinical finish. The second quarter saw the introduction of Cameron Hudson and Ollie Kerrison, and they helped maintain Watton's control, as they pinned Bulldogs back. Joshua, James and Liam all went close, but Watton went in leading 1-0 at half-time. The second half saw Kade and Matty swap positions, and Matty immediately made his mark, as he cut in from the left, and fired home from a tight angle. With the game virtually won Watton swapped things around, and this allowed Bulldogs to come more into the game, but a couple of smart saves from Kade and some excellent blocks from Liam and Cam ensured Bulldogs did not get a consolation. The final quarter saw Watton regain their control and create a number of excellent chances. The woodwork, some fine goalkeeping and a horrible bobble kept Watton at bay, before Ben wrapped up the scoring with another fine finish to give a final score of Watton 3, Bulldogs 0 (8-1 on aggregate). The final will now be played on Saturday, May 1 at Watton Sports Centre.