Norwich City transfer rumours: Spurs boss Mourinho interested in signing City starlet Lewis
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Tottenham Hotspur boss Jose Mourinho is set to be handed a transfer war chest this summer - and reportedly wants to sign Norwich City left-back Jamal Lewis.
The 22-year-old has featured on 19 occasions this season for City, although found himself occupying the bench at the turn of the year due to the impressive form of Sam Byram.
Lewis had re-emerged as a pivotal cog to Daniel Farke’s system prior to the coronavirus suspension and had nailed down a consistent starting berth in the side following Byram’s hamstring injury.
The Northern Irish international netted his first league goal for the Canaries against Leicester City after superbly volleying the ball beyond Kasper Schmeichel and into the net as City recorded a 1-0 victory.
According to German outlet BILD, Mourinho has been provided with significant funds to strengthen his squad accordingly, with City starlet Lewis on a shortlist of potential incomings.
You may also want to watch:
Mourinho is planning a squad overhaul this summer, with the full-back positions high on his list of priorities.
Max Aarons has been linked relentlessly with a move to North London, but BILD are reporting that Spurs would prefer to sign OGC Nice right-back Youcef Atal.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Canaries 1-1 Coventry City
- 2 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 3 Thankless task for makeshift striker Marco in Coventry draw
- 4 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
- 6 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 7 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: Farke and the City curse
- 9 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 10 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
Lewis is said to be Mourinho’s left-back of choice, with Ryan Sessegnon failing to impress the Portuguese since he arrived at the club in November.
Experienced left-back Danny Rose is currently on loan at Newcastle United and is expected to move on this summer.
Lewis impressed in City’s FA Cup victory over Spurs earlier this month and Mourinho is a keen suitor, according to the report.
Mourinho added Steven Bergwijn and Gedson Fernandes to his ranks in January but is expected to go further once the transfer window opens following the conclusion of the current season.
Marcel Sabitzer, Geoffrey Kondogbia and Eder Militao are among the names being considered by Mourinho as he continues to plan for next season.