Stalemate near the top of the table

The third and fourth placed teams in Division One, Bridgham United and Shipdham, met and their respective positions remained unchanged as a result of Bridgham taking a point from a 2-2 draw at Shipdham.

Cranworth secured three welcome points from a 2-0 home defeat of Rockland United, Narborough took a point from a home goalless draw with Great Ryburgh and Tacolneston beat bottom club Cockers 7-3.

In the outstanding third round match in the Ben Smith Memorial Cup, Thetford Rovers Reserves won 6-2 at Hingham Athletic to set up a visit to Gressenhall in the fourth round next Saturday. Although Hingham scored first, they never recovered from conceding a penalty for deliberate handball on the goal line which meant that they had to play for an hour with 10 men. Having said that, the game was played in a tremendous spirit and was very well refereed by Tony Wareing.

In the second round of the Sound & Vision Junior League Cup, the two home teams both won. Dereham Town A beat their counterparts from Swaffham Town 6-3 while Gressenhall netted three without reply from Bunwell.

Division Two leaders Castle Acre Swifts dropped another two points after being held to a 2-2 draw at Shropham United. Hethersett Athletic are up to second place after a 6-0 home win over bottom team Hingham Athletic Reserves and Necton drop to third after being held to a 2-2 draw at Nostro. Northwold S&SC beat Saham Toney Reserves 4-1, Sporle won only their second League match of the season by the same scoreline at home to Yaxham and Wymondham Town A ran out 5-0 winners at West End.

The top three in Division Three all won. Leaders Methwold Rovers beat Splitz Utd 3-1 at home, second placed North Elmham retained their 100% record with a 5-2 home win over Bawdeswell and Thurton & Ashby scored four without reply from Gressenhall Reserves.

Narborough Reserves stay fourth after beating Rockland United Reserves 4-1 and Marham Wanderers are up to fifth after their 5-3 win at Great Cressingham. In the other match, Stoke Ferry beat bottom team Shipdham Reserves by the odd goal of three.

Most Read

Division Four leaders Shropham United Reserves were beaten 4-2 at Mattishall A and Mulbarton Wanderers Reserves are up to second after winning 4-1 at Rampant Horse. Colkirk beat North Elmham Reserves 4-2, Beetley United and Weasenham Wanderers shared the spoils from a 1-1 draw and Tacolneston Reserves beat bottom team Dereham Cockers United by the odd goal of seven.

In the Norfolk Primary fourth round, Morley Village beat Wendling 2-1. Morley will now travel to Hopton in the next round. In the quarter-finals, Tugas United beat Feltwell United 3-0 but Diss Town A went out, losing 2-1 at Belton.