STARTING XIs: Vrancic starts for Canaries at Brentford
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The match-winning heroics of last week have earned Mario Vrancic his first start of the season, as Norwich City take on Brentford in the Championship this evening.
Vrancic replaces Jordan Hugill, with Teemu Pukki pushing back into the lead striker role, with the Bosnia & Herzegovina international his chief support.
Todd Cantwell has shaken off a hip issue to retain his starting place, Marco Stiepermann returns in place of Josh Martin, who has a back problem, and Jacob Sorensen also makes his first appearance among the substitutes.
City were forced into a late change after Xavi Quintilla pulled up hurt in the warm up, with Sorensen stepping in at left-back, leaving the visitors with six on the bench.
The Canaries are without young striker Adam Idah due to his red card on Saturday, as he begins a three-game ban, while centre-back Christoph Zimmermann is still working on a calf issue which has kept him out for three matches.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Farke is expecting to be without full-back Sam Byram (hamstring), midfielder Kieran Dowell (ankle) and winger Onel Hernandez (groin) until January after surgery on their injuries.
The hosts make three changes, with former Canaries winger Sergi Canos dropping to the bench alongside Vitaly Janelt and Charlie Goode, with Emiliano Marcondes, Bryan Mbuemo and Mathias Jensen starting in their place.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 8 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 9 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 10 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
Brentford have made a solid start as they to shake of the hangover of play-off final defeat but slipped to 11th in the early table after a 3-2 defeat at Stoke on Saturday in which they were trailing 3-0 before fighting back in the final 20 minutes.
Having moved into the new Brentford Community Stadium, Thomas Frank’s team have so far beaten Huddersfield and Coventry at home but losing 4-2 to Preston.
The Bees welcome back Macrondes after a two-game injury absence but are without captain Pontus Jansson for a few weeks, who missed the defeat at Stoke. Central midfielders Christian Norgaard and Shandon Baptiste also miss out through injury.
NORWICH (4-2-3-1): Krul; Aarons, Hanley (C), Gibson, Sorensen; Skipp, Rupp; Buendia, Vrancic, Cantwell; Pukki. Subs: McGovern (GK), Tettey, McLean, Stiepermann, Placheta, Hugill
BRENTFORD (4-3-3): Martin; Dalsgaard, Pinnock, Sorensen, Henry; Dasilva, Jensen, Macrondes; Mbuema, Toney, Ghoddos. Subs: Daniels (GK), Thompson, Goode, Canos, Forss, Fosu, Janelt
REFEREE: Jeremy Simpson