STARTING XIs: Barden, Martin and Rupp start as City take on Luton
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Barden and Josh Martin both start as Norwich City start their season at Luton Town in the League Cup this afternoon, with a host of first team players unavailable.
It’s a slightly unfamiliar line-up for City, with 19-year-old keeper Daniel Barden making his debut due to Tim Krul and Michael McGovern being away on international duty.
However, it remains head coach Daniel Farke’s preferred 4-2-3-1 formation, with recent signing Jordan Hugill starting as the lone striker.
New arrivals Bali Mumba and Sam McCallum start at full-back either side of Christoph Zimmermann and Timm Klose.
There are more familiar faces in midfield as Alex Tettey partners Lukas Rupp in the middle, with Marco Stiepermann and summer signing Kieran Dowell joined by Josh Martin in attacking midfield after the youngster impressed during pre-season.
You may also want to watch:
Onel Hernandez is only fit enough for the bench after a minor groin strain during pre-season but Villarreal loanee Xavi Quintilla misses out with a niggle.
Academy players Andrew Omobamidele, Reece McAlear and William Hondermarck are all on the bench, alongside January signing Melvin Sitti.
- 1 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 5 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 6 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 7 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 9 Di Cunningham: Why City fans are in a class of their own
- 10 Chris Goreham: The importance of Hugill and home schooling
Ben Gibson was signed from Burnley on Friday evening in a similar deal to Quintilla, which will see a loan made permanent if promotion is secured, but did not arrive in time for the game.
City are without the following players due to international action: Tim Krul, Michael McGovern, Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey, Jamal Lewis, Oliver Skipp, Jacob Sorensen, Kenny McLean, Todd Cantwell, Danel Sinani, Przemyslaw Placheta, Teemu Pukki and Adam Idah.
Luton are only without two players due to international duty, Croatia goalkeeper Simon Sluga and Wales centre-back Tom Lockyer their only international absences.
They also have left-back Dan Potts out with a foot injury, while midfielder Eunan O’Kane and former Everton defender Brendan Galloway won’t feature as they recover from long term problems.
Nathan Jones returned as manager during last season’s three-month suspension and sparked a remarkable revival, taking 16 points from a possible 27 to clamber away from relegation trouble.
The winner of today’s tie will go into the draw for the second round, with ties due to be played on September 15-16, with rounds three and four also due to be played in midweek this month as well.
NORWICH (4-2-3-1): Barden; Mumba, Zimmermann, Klose, McCallum; Rupp, Tettey (C); Dowell, Stiepermann, Martin; Hugill. Subs: McCracken, Omobamidele, McAlear, Sitti, Hondermarck, Vrancic Hernandez
LUTON (4-1-3-2): Shea; Cranie, Norrington-Davies, Pearson, Bradley (C); Rea; Mpanzu, Berry, Lee; Cornick, Collins. Subs: Isted, Hylton, Shinnie, Moncur, Clark, LuaLua, Bree.
REFEREE: John Busby