STARTING XIs: Buendia on the bench as City revert to team which lost at Spurs against Newcastle
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Emi Buendia’s two-game injury absence comes to an end for Norwich City this afternoon but the playmaker starts on the bench at Newcastle.
The Argentine attacker missed the 2-1 loss at Tottenham in the league and the 2-1 win at Burnley in the FA Cup with a thigh injury, having been nominated for the Premier League Player of the Month award for December due to his fine form.
He is back on the bench in place of Marco Stiepermann, as is Mario Vrancic following the end of Ibrahim Amadou's loan.
Otherwise it's the starting XI from that narrow loss at Spurs, with Lukas Rupp continuing on the right alongside fellow new signing Ondrej Duda in attacking midfield.
Newcastle make three changes to their team that drew 2-2 at Everton in the league prior to a disappointing 0-0 home draw wtih League One side Oxford in the FA Cup fourth round last weekend.
You may also want to watch:
DeAndre Yedlin returns at right-back and Isaac Hayden moves into midfield, with the Longstaff brothers dropping out and new signing Nabil Bentaleb and speedy star Allan Saint-Maximin starting.
Two more recent signings are also on the bench in the shape of Spurs loanee Danny Rose and Inter Milan loanee Valentino Lazaro.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 8 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
NEWCASTLE (5-4-1): Dubravka; Yedlin, Fernandez, Lascelles (C), Clark, Ritchie; Hayden, Bentaleb, Almiron, Saint-Maximin; Joelinton. Subs: Darlow (GK), Schar, Lejeune, Lazaro, Rose, Atsu, S Longstaff
NORWICH (4-2-3-1): Krul; Aarons, Zimmermann, Hanley (C), Byram; Tettey, McLean; Rupp; Duda, Cantwell; Pukki. Subs: Fahrmann (GK), Lewis, Vrancic, Trybull, Buendia, Hernandez, Drmic
REFEREE: Martin Atkinson
VAR: Peter Bankes
- And don't forget to download the Pink Un app for exclusive insight and analysis as our reporters follow the Canaries around the country