Stephen Fry joins Norwich City board
Top television and media celebrity Stephen Fry is set to be appointed as a director of Norwich City. Lifelong City fan Fry will join fellow A-list celebrity and the Canaries' joint majority shareholder Delia Smith on the board.
Top television and media celebrity Stephen Fry is set to be appointed as a director of Norwich City.
Lifelong City fan Fry will join fellow A-list celebrity and the Canaries' joint majority shareholder Delia Smith on the board.
The 53-year-old comedian, writer, actor and presenter will act as an ambassador for Norwich City, using his contacts and enormous personal fanbase to help give the Canaries' profile a boost at home and abroad.
With a host of successful television and film credits under his belt and several projects on-going, Fry has Britain's largest personal following on Twitter with a staggering 1.67million fans signed up to receive updates from the star.
You may also want to watch:
Based in Norfolk, Fry has followed the Canaries since childhood and attends games whenever his hectic schedule allows him to.
He said of his pending appointment: "Having been shockingly overlooked by successive Norwich City managers all these years as a player, I have come to the sad conclusion that it is probably unlikely now that I will ever be picked to play for the first team.
- 1 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 5 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 6 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 7 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 8 Former City coach leaves England U21 post
- 9 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 10 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
"But I am happy instead to play my part in another capacity, as that of a proud and passionate ambassador for a great football club.
"The day may still come when I am needed out on the pitch, I haven't entirely ruled that out, but until then I shall endeavour to serve with enthusiasm and energy, spreading the word far and wide of Norwich City Football Club and the pleasures and rewards to be had as a supporter.
"Truly this is one of the most exciting days of my life and I am as proud and pleased as I could be."
Delia Smith commented: "Having one of the club's most passionate supporters who just happens to also be one of the country's best-loved performers join us to act as an ambassador for the football club will be just fantastic and we're delighted to welcome Stephen on board."