Stephen Fry joins Norwich City board
Top television and media celebrity Stephen Fry is set to be appointed as a director of Norwich City. Lifelong City fan Fry will join fellow A-list celebrity and the Canaries' joint majority shareholder Delia Smith on the board.
Top television and media celebrity Stephen Fry is set to be appointed as a director of Norwich City.
Lifelong City fan Fry will join fellow A-list celebrity and the Canaries' joint majority shareholder Delia Smith on the board.
The 53-year-old comedian, writer, actor and presenter will act as an ambassador for Norwich City, using his contacts and enormous personal fanbase to help give the Canaries' profile a boost at home and abroad.
With a host of successful television and film credits under his belt and several projects on-going, Fry has Britain's largest personal following on Twitter with a staggering 1.67million fans signed up to receive updates from the star.
Based in Norfolk, Fry has followed the Canaries since childhood and attends games whenever his hectic schedule allows him to.
He said of his pending appointment: "Having been shockingly overlooked by successive Norwich City managers all these years as a player, I have come to the sad conclusion that it is probably unlikely now that I will ever be picked to play for the first team.
- 1 City old boy Martin rebuffed job interest amid Watford reports
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in West Brom's Kipre
- 3 'They've handled this badly but I'm glad Teemu won' - fans react to Pukki POTS award
- 4 Canaries on the right track with Dean Smith, insists Zimmermann
- 5 'Why are the disillusioned leaving their calling card by way of an empty seat?'
- 6 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 7 Ian Clarke: Time for City to end miserable season with a big scalp
- 8 Teemu Pukki named as Norwich City Player of the Season
- 9 Chris Sutton: Pukki is a Norwich legend... Now they must keep him
- 10 PODCAST: A City point to discuss as attentions turn to next season
"But I am happy instead to play my part in another capacity, as that of a proud and passionate ambassador for a great football club.
"The day may still come when I am needed out on the pitch, I haven't entirely ruled that out, but until then I shall endeavour to serve with enthusiasm and energy, spreading the word far and wide of Norwich City Football Club and the pleasures and rewards to be had as a supporter.
"Truly this is one of the most exciting days of my life and I am as proud and pleased as I could be."
Delia Smith commented: "Having one of the club's most passionate supporters who just happens to also be one of the country's best-loved performers join us to act as an ambassador for the football club will be just fantastic and we're delighted to welcome Stephen on board."