Stevenage Ladies 4 Norwich City Ladies 1 – Tough first away trip for Canaries
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City’s first away game of the season took them to Hertord Town to face Stevenage in the FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One.
First order of the day for Norwich, to adjust to the smaller pitch and defending an early attempt by the home team, well saved by keeper Fiona Coombes.
Having not conceded a goal, Norwich saw their own early attempt saved by Katherine Long at the other end 11 minutes in. Norwich sitting deeper than normal failed to deal with Leah Littlechild’s strike from distance giving Stevenage the lead on 21 minutes.
The visitors responsded with a well worked attack from the restart, with Millie Daviss seeing Littlechild palm the ball over the bar. Stevenage gained a second five minutes later when a Norwich error gave Kristi Burling an easy opportunity. Norwich rallied in the final 15 minutes, with Chelsea Garrett going close twice and Aimee Durrant pulling one back to make it 2-1 at half-time.
In the second half Norwich took the game to Stevenage, with three decent attempts on goal in the first 15 minutes. However it was the hosts who found the net with 60 minutes played, when captain Donna McGuigan scored past the stranded Coombes. Soon after injury forced Norwich goal-scorer Durrant to leave the field, replaced by Vivian Moyo, Norwich reshaped and although battling hard conceded a fourth on 82 minutes, when Littlechild scored her second.
You may also want to watch:
Another substitutions followed, debutant Eliza McDonald replaced by Paige Shorten. With added time the half stretched to 54 minutes with both teams pushing forward and each going close but the final score was 4-1.
Norwich miss out on points in the first away fixture of the season, but will regroup and go again on Sunday 17th September, away to Actonians Ladies.
- 1 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 2 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 3 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 4 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 5 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 6 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 7 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 10 Farke's fledglings: How City chief moulded the next generation for Canaries
Norwich: Coombes, Goodfield, Osborne, Arnoup, Parker, Durrant (Moyo 73), Drake, Shorten (McDonald 84), Daviss, Garrett, Broad, Subs not used: Brogan