‘Sergi Canos you hero!’ – City fans hail former winger as Brentford beat Leeds to leave Norwich on the brink of promotion
- Credit: PA
Sergi Canos may have left Norwich City over two years ago but he is the toast of Norfolk this evening, after inspiring Brentford to a hugely important victory over Leeds to leave the Canaries on the verge of promotion.
On a day of swirling emotions, City were pegged back twice to draw 2-2 at Stoke this afternoon, leaving them three points clear of second placed Sheffield United, who won 3-0 at Hull to boost their automatic promotion hopes.
But both teams were given a huge boost this evening as third placed Leeds suffered their second successive defeat, losing 2-0 at Griffin Park to remain six points behind leaders Norwich and three behind the Blades.
Canos set up Neal Maupay for the opening goal and then scored himself to leave Norwich on the brink of a Premier League return.
The Spanish winger joined Norwich in the summer of 2016 for around £2.5million, after City had been relegated, but was sold to his former loan club Brentford just six months later after only six appearances during Alex Neil’s reign.
You may also want to watch:
Leeds now need an 11-goal swing to deny City – who just need a point to seal the deal. That could come on Saturday evening against Blackburn at Carrow Road or at Aston Villa on the final day, who look almost certain to finish in the play-offs – and who go to Leeds next Saturday.
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above and below
- 1 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 4 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 5 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 6 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 7 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 8 How Trent and Walker are shaping City star's progression
- 9 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 10 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss