Stuart Webber’s summer shake up at Norwich City has the backing of Canaries legend Grant Holt
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Sweeping changes at Norwich City under sporting director Stuart Webber are impressing Canaries legend Grant Holt.
The former City skipper is enjoying his summer break back home with his family in Norfolk after the end of his contract with Scottish Championship title winners Hibernian.
That has allowed the 36-year-old striker to keep a close eye on developments at Carrow Road and so far, following the appointment of head coach Daniel Farke, Holt likes what he sees.
“I think anyone looking from the outside at what they’re doing, trying to break the whole structure up and change it around, can see it kind of needed doing,” City’s three-time player of the year winner said. “They’ve spent a long time as a category one academy club and only really got the two Murphys through – and they were there before everything kicked off with category one.
“So it all needed restructuring, recruitment and everything needs to be stripped back, which they’re trying to do now.
“Stuart Webber has already brought two new scouts (Chris Badlan and Kieran Scott) in to help that along who he knows he can trust and Stuart’s got his ideas.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve met him, I’ve spoke to him, he’s got a philosophy which he wants for the football club and I think the way he speaks and what he wants to do will be good for the club.”
Farke’s arrival from the U23 side of German giants Borussia Dortmund was followed by the first signing of the summer this week when Barnsley forward Marley Watkins arrived on a free transfer.
- 1 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 2 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 3 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 4 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 6 Norwich loan has 'ticked every box' for Ben Gibson
- 7 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 8 City hold talks with Nyland
- 9 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 10 'It’s difficult, but it’s a nice difficulty' - ex-City man's verdict on Buendia
“Everyone’s got to buy into it,” Holt continued. “You’ve only got to look at what David Wagner’s done at Huddersfield and what they’ve achieved, but it’s more than what they’ve achieved, it’s the way they play and the way they go about things.
“I think that’s what Norwich need now, they need stability all the way through and try to look at the bigger picture.
“As fans I think you’ve got to look at the bigger picture and see that it’s not about getting back to the Premier League at this moment in time, it’s about being ready so that when the club do eventually get back to the Premier League they can stay there, fight there and try to develop youth from within, not just bring in signings for millions of pounds.”