Tangerines leave it late
March Town United 0, Diss Town 1: It took an 81st minute goal on debut by Jake Burton to give the Tangerines a winning start to the season at March on Saturday.
March Town United 0, Diss Town 1
It took an 81st minute goal on debut by Jake Burton to give the Tangerines a winning start to the season at March on Saturday. A fine display of goalkeeping from Chris Anker kept the score close.
George Watts-Sturrock, one of six Tangerine debutants, forced Anker into a 9th minute diving save. Paul Nicholls was only denied by the feet of Anker in the 18th minute after his header had seemed to send the goalkeeper the wrong way. Again Anker was forced to use his feet to keep out a shot from Stuart Garner in the 35th minute.
PetreHooks was th enext to be denied when his dipping 53rd minute shot was tipped over the bar by Anker. Two minutes later Matty Hill was forced to dive to block a shot from Ashley Brand. Xavier Huckle drew another save with the feet in the 66th minute from Anker. Two minutes later Hill used his feet to keep out a shot from Luke Pepper.
You may also want to watch:
The only goal of the game came in the 81st minute when a corner from Garner was punched out to Jason Hunt. He passed the ball out wide for Chris Collins-Reed to centre. Burton nipped in front of Anker and diverted the ball with his head past the goalkeeper.
Diss will be at home to Great Yarmouth Town on Tuesday (kick off 7.45pm).
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 5 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 6 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 7 'We want to top this season off properly' - Krul's message to fans
- 8 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 9 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 10 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
March: C Anker, Mennary, Dawson, Norman, M Anker, Roddis, Escorcio (Quinn 83), Pepper, Anderson (L White 60), Brand, Smith (Cornell 59). Subs not
used: Spibey, G White.
Diss: Hill, Jenkinson, Garner, Nicholls, Collins-Reed, Shadrack, Hooks (Huckle 57), Watts-Sturrock, Burton, Hunt, Bryant. Subs not used: Abbott, McDowall.
Referee; Jody Downs (Sudbury)