Team Bath 2, King's Lynn 1

FOR their second visit to Twerton Park the Linnets were looking to improve on the result of their last visit, an early season 1-1 draw against Bath City.

FOR their second visit to Twerton Park the Linnets were looking to improve on the result of their last visit, an early season 1-1 draw against Bath City.

Despite Lynn's good record against Team Bath having won all of their previous encounters against the students, Lynn were up against an in-form team who were top of the Southern League home form league having been unbeaten in their previous six matches of which they had won five.

The team news saw Lynn make two changes in the starting line-up from that which played a dull goalless draw with Clevedon last Saturday.

Michael Frew replaced injury victim Alex Notman with a hamstring injury with Frew making his first start since the away defeat at Clevedon. The second change being the return of influential skipper Mark Warren after serving his one-match suspension.

You may also want to watch:

On the bench for Lynn today were the two lads from Norwich - Andrew Fisk and Andrew Cave-Brown who has just renewed his loan period with Lynn for a further month, plus Jack Defty, Greg Crane and reserve team goalkeeper Duncan McAnally.

Lynn lost the toss and was set to kick up the Twerton Park slope. Early action saw a deep cross by Melton headed by a cross goal by Toms to O'Halloran whose close range header was tipped over the bar by goalkeeper Chitty for a fruitless corner.

Most Read

Nolan found Frew who tried to cut in from the right but his cross was blocked for a corner from which Chitty easily held Nolan's header.

Team Bath broke and Abbott won the ball in midfield finding Saunders who tried a lob from just inside the King's Lynn half, which was only just wide as Marshall back-pedalled towards his goal.

Lynn responded and forced a third corner taken by O'Halloran which was put out by yet another from which Cooper forced Chitty into a fine diving save.

On the reasonable playing surface following the recent heavy rains Lynn were playing well showing much more life than in their last week's performance, and with the return of Warren and Cooper looking much more solid in defence.

On 21 minutes Team Bath were awarded a free-kick from which the vastly experienced Brian Tinnion tested Marshall who held the shot safely.

Another Bath attack which showed promise was stopped by an offside flag. Play was then held up for a while by an injury to Team Bath's Metitiri who was able to continue after treatment.

Lynn almost took the lead on 28 minutes when following a Fraser Toms corner Steve Melton's hard volley was blocked on the line by Cannon with Chitty saving Nolan's follow-up.

Metitiri was then cautioned for a foul on Frew.

From the free-kick taken by Camm, Warren was just wide with his header.

For Team Bath Tinnion put in a dangerous cross which Cooper was forced to head for a corner. From the clearance Dean West put MICHAEL FREW away down the King's Lynn right. He held off the challenge of Metitiri to burst into the penalty area and with a fierce shot put King's Lynn into the lead giving Chitty no chance.

Lynn pressure brought yet another corner and this time Toms just tested Chitty as Lynn sought the second goal. A seventh corner was cleared more easily. A slip by Warren allowed Cannon to make a good run for the home side but his low cross was cut out by Cooper at the expense of a corner. This taken by Tinnion allowed Taylor with a firm header to bring an equally fine save by Marshall at the expense of another fruitless corner.

Just before the interval Bath had a good build-up but this time the final ball by Tinnion was poor and Marshall gathered easily.

The half-time interval came with the Linnets well worth their single goal lead.

t Half-time: Team Bath 0, King's Lynn 1

Lynn made no changes at the interval, three minutes into the half Lynn lost the ball in midfield, the ball was played into the Lynn box, Marshall knocked the ball away but was unable to gather and it fell to Neil Saunders who fired home through a crowd of players.

For Lynn Michael Frew responded with a 20-yard shot which went just wide. Team Bath's Dan Dillon was cautioned for a foul on O'Halloran but Toms made a poor effort from the resulting free-kick. Williams for Team Bath then got in behind the Lynn defence forcing Warren to concede the corner which fortunately for the visitors came to nought.

Lynn had by now lost the initiative from their promising first-half display allowing the home side to get well back into the game. On the hour Lynn made their first substitution with Andrew Fisk replacing Frazer Toms. Fisk was then cautioned for a foul as Team Bath continued to have the better of the play.

On 68 minutes Lynn brought on Defty for O'Halloran and two minutes made a third change with Cave-Brown coming on Matty Nolan. Defty went down under a challenge from Taylor as he attempted to turn in the Bath box but nothing was given. After Frew was fouled by Abbott, Cooper tried a lob from the free-kick but his effort was well over the bar. Jack Defty had a goal attempt but his shot was deflected for a corner.

With just 15 minutes left both teams were going for the winner as play swung from end to end with defences at full stretch. Lynn had a period of pressure but the home defence held firm. As the game neared its conclusion play was held up for a lengthy injury to home keeper Chitty after the goalkeeper had just reached a through ball before Andrew Fisk following a good Lynn move. Deep into stoppage time Team Bath got the winner when Steve Abbott applied the finishing touch to a Matt Townley cross after Brian Tinnion's first shot was blocked to give the Bath side their first ever victory over King's Lynn. Team Bath had made a good comeback to well deserve their victory and keep them on course for a play-off place.

t Final score: Team Bath 2, King's Lynn 1

t King's Lynn: Marshall, West, Blois, Warren, G Cooper, Camm, O'Halloran, Melton, Nolan, Frew, Toms. Subs: J Defty, Crane, Fisk, Cave-Brown, McAnally.

t Team Bath: Chitty, Townley, Friend, Abbott, Taylor, Metitiri, Dillon, Saunders, Williams, Cannon, Tinnion. Subs: Graham, Llewellyn, M Cooper, Long, S Cooper.

t Referee: K Haines from Windsor

t Attendance: 171

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus