Team news: Four changes for injury-hit Norwich City at Middlesbrough
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City head coach Daniel Farke have made four changes to his starting line-up as injuries bite ahead of tonight’s tough Championship fixture at promotion favourites Middlesbrough.
James Husband replaces Marco Stipermann, who has a groin strain but is among the substitutes, at left-back against his former club in the only defensive change following Saturday’s 0-0 home draw with Bristol City.
As expected Alex Tettey replaces Harrison Reed in defensive midfield and James Maddison comes into attacking midfield in place of the injured Mario Vrancic (calf).
Josh Murphy drops out completely and Yanic Wildschut starts against his former club, with fit-again striker Nelson Oliveira also among the substitutes.
The hosts make just one change from the team which started their 1-1 draw at Fulham at the weekend, with speedy attacker Adama Traore returning from suspension in place of former City loanee Patrick Bamford.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich: Gunn; Pinto (C), Zimmermann, Klose, Husband; Tettey, Trybull; Watkins, Maddison, Wildschut; Jerome. Subs: McGovern (GK), Reed, Oliveira, Hoolahan, Stiepermann, Franke, Hanley.
Boro: Randolph; Christie, Fry, Gibson (C), Fabio; Clayton, Howson; Traore, Baker, Johnson; Assombalonga. Subs: Konstantopoulos (GK), Friend, Shotton, Leadbitter, Braithwaite, Bamford, Fletcher.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 4 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 5 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 6 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 7 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 9 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 10 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
City team news
Mario Vrancic (calf) is ruled out. Wes Hoolahan (knee) and Marco Stiepermann (groin) were doubtful ut are on the bench. Nelson Oliveira is in the squad after a groin injury. Russell Martin played 90 minutes for the development squad at Reading on Monday. Steven Naismith (groin) is still sidelined. Alex Pritchard, Matt Jarvis, Jamal Lewis and Louis Thompson remain long-term absentees.
Middlesbrough team news
Fabio was forced off at Fulham with a dead leg but is okay to start. Adam Traore returns to the squad after suspension. Martin Braithwaite is on the bench after hamstring trouble.
Middlesbrough manager – Garry Monk
Left Leeds United in the summer after guiding the Whites to the fringes of the Championship play-offs. Not out of work for long when he was snapped up by the Teessiders. Formerly guided Swansea to a top eight Premier League finish in 2014/15.
One to watch – Jonny Howson
No introduction needed for the former Norwich midfielder, who was part of the squad that beat Boro to clinch Championship promotion at Wembley in 2015. Scored 24 goals in 188 games for the Canaries during a five-year stint before returning north in the summer.
Referee – Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire)
Booked James Husband, Josh Murphy and Nelson Oliveira in City’s 4-2 Championship defeat at Aston Villa earlier this season.