Team news: Norwich City make six changes for Carabao Cup second round tie against Charlton Athletic
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City head coach Daniel Farke has made six changes to his starting line-up for tonight’s Carabao Cup second round tie against League One side Charlton Athletic at Carrow Road.
Portuguese right-back Ivo Pinto has been passed fit after a back problem forced him to miss Saturday’s 4-2 loss at Aston Villa, having missed much of pre-season with a hamstring strain.
That allows Russell Martin to move into the middle of defence alongside Marcel Franke, with Christoph Zimmermann dropping to the bench.
Angus Gunn is rested, with Michael McGovern starting in goal and Remi Matthews providing cover. James Husband is on the bench as Marco Stiepermann moves to left-back and Southampton loanee Harrison Reed is rested completely, with Tom Trybull on the bench as cover for Alex Tettey in central midfield.
Wes Hoolahan and James Maddison return in attacking midfield, with Mario Vrancic among the substitutes but Josh Murphy and Steven Naismith keep their starting places.
You may also want to watch:
Marley Watkins has shaken off the foot problem which saw him only make the bench at Villa Park and starts up front as strikers Cameron Jerome and Nelson Oliveira both have groin issues, with Oliveira a major doubt for Saturday’s league trip to Millwall.
Centre-back Timm Klose is back in training but Charlton’s visit comes too soon, with longer term injury absentees Alex Pritchard, Jamal Lewis, Matt Jarvis and Louis Thompson all not involved.
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 6 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 8 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 9 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 10 'Champagne on ice' - City set for Carrow Road celebration next week
The Addicks make nine changes, with striker Lee Novak returning after the completion of a three-match suspension but former Canaries midfielder Andrew Crofts unavailable as he completes a three-game ban following his red card during the 2-1 win at Exeter in the first round.
Billy Clarke and Regan Charles-Cook scored the goals as a young side sealed victory over their League Two opposition and it is another youthful team playing at Carrow Road.
Karl Robinson’s side sit sixth in the early League One table with two wins and a loss in three games, winning 4-1 at home to Northampton on Saturday thanks to a late brace from Jake Forster-Caskey adding to earlier goals from Northern Ireland international striker Josh Magennis and highly-rated attacker Ricky Holmes.
Defensive duo Harry Lennon and Lewis Page remain long-term injury absentees, as does winger Mark Marshall, with midfielder Ben Reeves not yet to fit to return.
The teams met just over a month ago during the latter stages of pre-season, when goals from Yanic Wildschut and Steven Naismith earned a hard-fought 2-0 victory for Norwich at The Valley.
Norwich: McGovern; Pinto, Martin, Franke, Stiepermann; Tettey; Hoolahan, Maddison, Naismith, Murphy; Watkins. Subs: Matthews (GK), Husband, Zimmermann, Vrancic, Wildschut, Trybull, Godfrey
Charlton: Phillips, Dijksteel, Konsa, Sarr, Jackson (C), Charles-Cook, Aribo, Fosu, Clarke, Ahearne-Grant, Novak. Subs: Amos, Pearce, Barnes, Dasilva, Lapslie, Hackett-Fairchild, Magennis
• Keep up to date with all the action from Carrow Road in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live