Team news: Seven new signings to start Norwich City’s opening-day Championship clash at Fulham
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Seven of Norwich City’s new signings start this afternoon’s Championship opener at Fulham, with key men Ivo Pinto and Wes Hoolahan also fit enough to start on the bench.
Loan goalkeeper Angus Gunn starts in goal, with German centre-backs Christoph Zimmermann and Marcel Franke starting in front of him, as well as James Husband at left wing-back.
Southampton loanee Harrison Reed anchors the midfield, with Bosnia & Herzegovina international Mario Vrancic in a more advanced midfield role and former Barnsley forward Marley Watkins in support of striker Cameron Jerome.
Skipper Russell Martin starts after a late fitness test and winger Josh Murphy is fit enough to feature among the substitutes having missed the final pre-season friendly against Brighton last weekend.
Irish playmaker Hoolahan returns to the bench despite playing just 90 minutes in pre-season, missing the last five friendly games with a thigh issue, as does Pinto, from a hamstring strain picked up in the opening friendly at Cobh Ramblers in early July.
Steven Naismith is suspended for the first two matches of the campaign and new signing Tom Trybull is not ready to feature after signing on a free transfer yesterday after a successful trial – although both featured as City’s under-23s drew 2-2 with Burnley in a friendly at Colney on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
However head coach Daniel Farke is without defender Timm Klose (leg), attacking midfielder Alex Pritchard (ankle) and longer term injury victims Matt Jarvis (ankle) and Louis Thompson (Achilles) for his first competitive game in charge of the Canaries.
Fulham are without goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli due to a muscle strain so bring in former Brentford stopper David Button but are boosted by the return of key midfielder Tom Cairney, who missed the Cottagers final friendly with a knee injury. New £5m signing Aboubakar Kamara is only among the substitutes for the hosts though.
- 1 Spurs confirm Skipp has had surgery after injury with Canaries
- 2 Could City target any free agents this summer?
- 3 City star facing possible race for Euros fitness due to injury
- 4 Former City defender lands senior role at Wolves
- 5 City ranked top Premier League club for fan engagement
- 6 Tettey's heartfelt thanks to City fans
- 7 'My mission is not over' - Klose opens door to permanent Basel stay
- 8 City transfer rumours: Manchester United defender in the frame
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 10 ‘It’s me, it’s Tettey’ - Canaries legend's best quotes
Norwich: Gunn; Martin (C), Zimmermann, Franke; Wildschut, Reed, Husband; Vrancic, Maddison; Watkins; Jerome. Subs: McGovern (GK), Pinto, Oliveira, Murphy, Hoolahan, Godfrey, Tettey.
Fulham: Button; Fredericks, Ream, Kalas, Sessegnon; Norwood, Johanson, Cairney (C); Aiyte, Kebano, Aluko. Subs: Rodak (GK), Odoi, Edun, Madl, Piazzon, Kamara, Cisse.
• Follow updates from Craven Cottage in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live