Teemu Pukki sticks to his hair-raising promise as Norwich City earn Championship title
- Credit: PA
Norwich City won the Championship in a way that befitted champions – and it made the smile on Teemu Pukki’s face just that little bit bigger.
It also ensured the Finnish international left Villa Park with a very different haircut to the one he arrived with as he celebrated lifting the famous Football League trophy after victory over Aston Villa.
In the end, the Canaries finished 11 points clear of Leeds in third, unbeaten in 14 games and with two defeats away from home all season – just six in the Championship all season.
“I promised Grant (Hanley) and Kenny (McLean) that if we were champions they could do what they wanted to my hair, and this is what came out,” beamed Pukki – with both sides of his head shaved and a strip of blonde hair in the middle.
“I actually like it – I’m happy with how it ended up. Grant was the guy who did it in the end. I think I had to do something to my hair, to be honest. I like how it is – hopefully my fiancée will like it as well.”
You may also want to watch:
As for the final act of an incredible campaign, Pukki said: “We wanted to come here and prove that we are the best team in this league, and we did.
“It was a tough game. Aston Villa made it really hard for us – but yeah, we deserve this. In my mind we are the best team and we deserved to get that trophy and celebrate on Monday (at the parade) with it.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 6 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 7 Hugill thrilled with brace and determined to help keep City on track
- 8 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 9 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 10 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
“It does make it even more satisfying (by beating Villa). They have been on fire lately. They haven’t lost in a long, long time (12 games) so you could say that was the two most on-fire teams at the moment.
“So it was really tough and a great atmosphere, full stadium, and it was a nice place to win the trophy.”
Now everyone of a Norwich City persuasion can enjoy a fitting send-off back in Norwich with Bank Holiday Monday’s parade and celebrations at Carrow Road, with Russell Martin and Wesley Hoolahan’s celebration match.
“It’s a two-way thing and the support we got this season – I can’t describe it,” said Pukki, whose opening goal against Villa took his total for the season up to 30, with 29 of those coming in the league.
“It’s so lovely just to spend a day with them and the whole city, all the fans. They deserve this as much as us. It will be a really nice day.”
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…