Pukki tops the lot again – but only 3 Norwich City players make EFL fans’ top 51 list
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City striker Teemu Pukki can add another title to his momentous season, after being named the best player across the entire EFL by supporters.
National football magazine FourFourTwo polled fans across the country for their top 51 players in the three Football League tiers - and the Canaries' 29-goal freebie came out on top.
Pukki's season saw him make the EFL Championship team of the season, named Championship player of the season by the EFL and take away City's own player of the season and players' player awards.
While Pukki's goals caught the imagination and earned him the Championship's golden boot, his 10 assists also put him inside the EFL's top 10 goal-creators.
"That's Pukki this year: the difference-maker. He's the hero that no one anticipated - perhaps not even Norwich," said the magazine - which was possibly true back in August but certainly not now, given City's Championship title success and Premier League return.
You may also want to watch:
While Leeds, Sheffield United and Aston Villa all have a pair of players in the top 10, you have to travel down to 16 to find the next Norwich name - that being young Argentine playmaker Emi Buendia.
Young right-back Max Aarons is the only other Norwich player to feature, coming in 46th.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 3 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 4 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 5 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 6 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 7 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 8 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 9 Farke is not looking over his shoulder at City
- 10 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
Former Canaries Jason Shackell and Ian Henderson also featured in the list, compiled by fans who voted for their top five players in their club's division - excluding their own club.
The players were then given points according to their subsequent rank and the league they played in.
- FourFourTwo's top 51 EFL players of the 2018-19 season
1: Teemu Pukki (Norwich City)
2: Pablo Hernandez (Leeds)
3: Billy Sharp (Sheffield Utd)
4: Harry Wilson (Derby)
5: Oliver Norwood (Sheffield Utd)
6: Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa)
7: Che Adams (Birmingham)
8: Bradley Dack (Blackburn)
9: Kemar Roofe (Leeds)
10: Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)
- Other Norwich players on the list
16: Emi Buendia; 46: Max Aarons
- And some former Canaries too
41: Jason Shackell (Lincoln); 45: Ian Henderson (Rochdale)
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…