Theoklitos is backed to show his mettle
Michael Theoklitos has been backed to bounce back from his nightmare debut as a Norwich City player. City never recovered from the Aussie's early errors and the summer singing ended up shipping seven goals.
Michael Theoklitos has been backed to bounce back from his nightmare debut as a Norwich City player.
City never recovered from the Aussie's early errors and the summer singing ended up shipping seven goals.
But manager Bryan Gunn insists the likeable Aussie will come through.
"Just like all the other players, it's got to be his character," he said. "I believe that Micky Theoklitos has got character and that's the reason that I brought him to the club.
You may also want to watch:
"I have never seen him let seven goals in before, I don't know if he has, but we need to see what his character is like now and I'm sure that he will be just as disappointed as the rest of the players in the dressing room and probably take it more personally as well as a goalkeeper because it's seven goals.
"But he can turn up next week and get a clean sheet and make amends for that.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 4 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 7 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
"(Assistant manager) Ian Butterworth, (coach) Ian Crook and I all shared a 7-1 defeat at Blackburn away and a week after we turned up and we beat QPR 2-1 at home, so we have to believe that the players will react in the same way."
City are at Yeovil in the first round of the Carling Cup tomorrow, with Gunn needing to make some big decisions about key players, including his keeper.
He has Ben Alnwick deputising and could be tempted to give him his debut at Huish Park - although Theoklitos isn't expected to be the only casualty.
"We have got a big squad of players now, plenty of competition for places and we have to sit down and look very carefully through all the goals today and how they came about and then we have to make a professional judgment for the team that we put on the pitch on Tuesday night against Yeovil."