Thetford joy at matching leaders
Thetford Town 1, FC Clacton 1Thetford, sixth from bottom of the Ridgeons Division One table, put on a battling performance to draw with leaders FC Clacton.
THETFORD Town produced the surprise of the day in Ridgeons League Division One on Saturday.
Although sixth from bottom of the table, they put on a battling performance to draw with leaders FC Clacton.
Thetford boss Mark Scott said he was very pleased with the result, adding: “Hats off to all the lads. With their scoring record and our defensive one, it didn't look good on paper.
“It was a good performance, everyone played hard and battled hard. We didn't expect to win but nearly did in the last couple of minutes when the ball was cleared off the line.
You may also want to watch:
“We were competitive and showed character, and had a full squad to choose from - which doesn't happen often.
“We were disappointed not to win when Matt Howard's effort was cleared off the line but equally very pleased to get a draw out of the game.”
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 5 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 6 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
Scott felt the morale-boosting win over Fakenham the previous weekend, with their first clean sheet, had helped Saturday's performance, and wants to take that confidence into future games, starting at Long Melford on Saturday.
“Let's hope this is a platform to build on,” he said. “We have already beaten them when not playing well, but it won't be taken lightly. I think every game for us is a tough one.
“If we perform the way we did on Saturday and have commitment we should have no problems.”
Thetford Town 1, FC Clacton 1
As expected, the league leaders applied the early pressure, but Town contained them well limiting the free-scoring side little chance to any real sight of goal, writes Bob Richards.
Town had the odd sortie into the Clacton box but it was not until the 20th minute that Town got their first corner.
Bowden, in the Town goal, did well to block the advancing forward's shot, he was then called to save well on 26 minutes, but then Town had a spell of pressure with a Dixon effort just wide.
Town competed well against Clacton and Mann had two good efforts.
Town had a dream start to the second half when Dixon took a through-ball from Kedian to run on to score. But within two minutes Clacton broke down the left and the resulting cross was headed in by Heighway.
Then the game went from end to end with Mann having a great chance, shooting over from close range.
The game still had some life at the end with Howard going close and then Clacton just shooting wide. In the closing minutes Town thought they had all three points but the ball was cleared off the line.
Thetford Reserves entertain Needham Market on Saturday, ko 3pm.