Thetford Times area notes

BRANDON LADS U13 had a home game against Needham Phoenix, Needham started well but Brandon dealt with the early pressure and looked dangerous on the break, with the pace of Harry Rampley and Isaac Allen.

BRANDON LADS U13 had a home game against Needham Phoenix, Needham started well but Brandon dealt with the early pressure and looked dangerous on the break, with the pace of Harry Rampley and Isaac Allen. Brandon settled into the game and started to pass the ball well and took the lead when Lewis Norton lobbed the keeper after some good work in the box, Brandon soon made it two after great work from Allen on the right he cut inside to drive the ball home, Needham got a goal back before the break. The second half was end-to-end football with chances at either end but it was Needham that got the equaliser and then went on to get the winner with a scrambled effort. This was another improving display from Brandon against a top-of-the-table team. MoM: Lewis Stevenson outstanding in defence.

BRANDON LASSES U15, against a brave but depleted visitors Debenham LC, set their stall out to play attacking football, none more than Kayleigh Nolan who hit a personal best tally of 11 in this match. The Lasses went in at half-time with a 12-goal lead, Nolan hitting five, Tash Rutter four, Sally Eastwood two and Rachel Lynch's long shot. The second period start in similar fashion with Nolan adding six more. A Megan Norton volley, a great solo effort from Ellen Rumsey and an own goal brought the Lasses scoring to a close with the visitors replying following a mix-up in Brandon's defence. PoM: Kayleigh Nolan. Next week Brandon travel to Whitton for a tough semi-final.

BRANDON LASSES U12 were at last back into action against a confident Copleston side who had beaten the league leaders in their previous fixture. On a tight pitch the Lasses took control of the first half creating chances and limiting the home side to the odd break. It seemed a matter of time before the Lasses found the back of the net, but credit to Copleston who kept a clean sheet going into the second half. Brandon took a while to get going again but, when they picked up their passing game mid-way though the half, two quick goals from Brianna Jamgochian and Ellesse Masters gave them the cushion they needed to see the game out. An excellent team display to give them confidence for their cup semi-final next week.

BRANDON LASSES U11 travelled to North Walsham, looking to do the double over them. Some good running by Jessie Whybrow down the right ended with her putting a good ball into Millie Bales who couldn't quite finish. After some great passing football from Leah Zawiasa to Georgia Dargan the ball found Millie and this time had no trouble finding the net. Keeper Katie Amacker was a virtual spectator and the defence of Ruby Robertson and Suzy Duggan stood firm. Brandon then went on the rampage with two goals by Leah Zawiasa and two by Millie, completing her hat-trick. At this stage Brandon made two substitutions with Freya Hayward and Abbie Craigen slotting in nicely to the attack. The impressive Georgia Dargan made it 6-0 to Brandon. With half-time approaching there was a mix-up in Brandon's defence and Walsham scored. Leah picked up a loose ball in the centre of midfield and ran through the defence and completed her hat-trick. A good shot from the edge of the box saw Walsham pull a goal back. Brandon went up another gear again and good build-up play between Jessie and Millie set up Leah for her fourth. Millie then got her fourth with a strong solo run down the left. With Brandon pushing forward Georgia got her second with some great passing through midfield. Millie then added her fifth. Ruby Robertson had a spell up front, she went close, putting one over the bar then hitting a post. With the match drawing to a close Ruby scored with good shot from the edge of the area. A strong display from all Lasses. Final score: Walsham 2, Brandon 12. PoM: Georgia Dargan.

THETFORD TOWN U12 entertained top-of-the-table Litcham and started the game a little uneasily allowing Litcham possession but Town's defence were like a brick wall. Litcham had their chances but couldn't get anything past. As the first half went on Town gained more and more strength. Town started taking control of the ball which saw Daniel make the first half 1-0. Town came out in the second half with more determination than ever and totally swamped Litcham with excellent team work. Max was on fire and no defender was going to stop him as he curled one round the keeper. The midfield did a fantastic job of enabling any chances Litcham had and some superb passing gave Daniel his second. A great tackle kept Litcham at bay momentarily, but with a player down they capitalised on this and went on to score. Town pushed everyone forward and Max put a powerful shot in the back of the net only for it to be disallowed for a debatable offside. Thetford was not going to let this deter them and a cracking goal-kick from Spencer fell to the feet of Taylor who one-touched to Max who hit it home for Town to make the final score 4-1. Thetford Town MoM: The whole team. Litcham's MoM: Dominik. K Bolton said: “All I can say is this is the best you have played. I am very proud of every one of you.”

LAKENHEATH LEOPARDS U12, after a two-week lay-off, started very slowly and Scole were quick to capitalise on this scoring two quick goals which caught Lakenheath out. Lakenheath tried to come back with some strong defending and attempting to catch Scole on the break. They were rewarded when a Connor Knight corner was headed in by Shay Thomson. However, Scole were the stronger team and by half-time they had scored another three goals, including one from the penalty spot. Lakenheath came out in the second half a different team. They competed for the ball and put Scole under pressure. Sam Buckley and Ben Nolan continued to push forward causing problems for Scole. Lakenheath netted through Kieron Danbrowsky after breaking free from his defender. Lakenheath continued to press but could not find that extra spark to score as the Scole keeper was having a great game. Scole scored their sixth and this ended the game. Miles Stiddard was MoM; Jamie Allsop Manager's MoM.

Most Read

MUNDFORD U11 travelled to Swaffham for the first of two matches in two days and it was very much a case of d�j� vu from the previous visit as the boys played quickly and cleverly right from the start. From John Pearce's cross, Michael Corbyn was quickly on to it to turn and shoot home. He soon grabbed his second after good play by Ryan Harvey. Todd Hutcherson had a great game at the back and George Hammond was starting many attacks from the back and from one of these Pearce sent Harvey racing down the right whose cross flashed across the box for Jack Pinner to power home from an acute angle. Joe Zipfell, Sam Long and Roberto Alves were creating many chances and Harvey produced two quality finishes. In the second half the scoring got going again when Dean Scott curled a pass into the path of Pinner, who moved it onto for Corbyn and his low cross was neatly finished at the near post by Harvey. The seventh goal came after a bit of a goalmouth scramble and DeMeyer was on hand to knee the ball home. Then Long raced onto a pass and absolutely thundered it home. Good display from all. Swaffham 0, Mundford 8. MoM: Michael Corbyn.

MUNDFORD U9 were winners against Dereham Wanderers (Yellow) by 7-0. This was an exciting game with Mundford dominating the first quarter helped along by Harvey Shorton scoring two goals. Dereham started playing as a team in the second quarter although despite their keeper saving some good shots he let one in from Sam Rolph's left foot. His continued good skills enabled him to score another two goals in the third quarter giving him a hat-trick. Superb defence was continually at the back by James Gornall. Harry Cater came on in the second quarter and passed a superb cross ball to Jude Blakemore enabling him to get one in the goal. The game was finished off by a final goal from Jude making it 7-0 to Mundford. Hats off to Dereham who continually rallied round to fight.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9B started confidently and energetically against Garboldisham. At three minutes into the game, Wilkinson in defence brought the ball forward with good control and shot a superb goal just under the bar. In the second quarter Brown, Bernard and Fowles were brought on with Bernard spotting chances and feeding the ball to Brown, demonstrating good control and determination. The ball was passed to Fowles who scored a fine goal. Tiredness crept in allowing the ball through to test Heathershaw in goal initially and then Bernard. Midway through the third quarter brought fresh energy on to the pitch courtesy of McGill and Richardson. After a nice feed from Wilkinson, McGill took the ball through Garboldisham with great skill and passed to Richardson for a fine goal with the score now at 3-0. A goal was conceded soon after but the energy and determination from McGill and Blake kept Garboldisham under pressure in the fourth quarter resulting in a comfortable 3-1 win. MoM: McGill.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9A bounced back from their disappointing semi-final SNYFL Trophy defeat to Brandon to keep a pleasing clean sheet in this league encounter with Swaffham. The clean sheet was largely due to the defensive heroics of the Konnor Dixon, Brandon Dawson partnership and Jamie Humphrey's safe pair of hands. Indies got off to a good start after an early goal from Kehan Whitby following good interplay between Alfie Cooper and Whitby. But the Swaffham defence kept Indies to the one goal for the rest of the first quarter. Cooper, the playmaker of the first half, put Aiden Try through for his first goal of the day which was soon followed by his second after a fierce cross/shot from Whitby was met by the foot of Try to make the score 3-0. Indies continued to pile on pressure in the third quarter with two more goals from Try for his hat-trick, the third being the pick as he turned neatly on the edge of the penalty area and fired the ball home. MoM: Kehan Whitby, worked tirelessly in defence and attack. Final score: Indies 9, Swaffham 0.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U11 are looking for players to join their team. Indies is a Chartered Club with qualified CRB and FA-registered coaches. If interested call Nigel on 07889829303 for details. The team trains Saturdays 10 to 11.30am at Thetford Rugby Club.