Thetford Times area notes

BRANDON LADS U9 welcomed Thetford Bulldogs who presented Dawson Davidson (currently being treated for leukaemia) with a 'get well soon' card signed by all their players.

BRANDON LADS U9 welcomed Thetford Bulldogs who presented Dawson Davidson (currently being treated for leukaemia) with a 'get well soon' card signed by all their players. This was a fantastic gesture by the Bulldogs management and team and set the stage for an excellent game. Brandon got off to a flying start and took the lead when Jake Vincent (MoM) finished off an excellent series of passes from Ben Long, Stephen Clarke and Alex Matthews. Bulldogs bounced back when Reese had an excellent shot, only to be denied by another outstanding save from Will Bales. Reese was looking lively up front for Bulldogs and tried his luck shortly after with a fierce drive from 25 yards that just went wide. The Bulldogs keeper was also being tested and made a couple of excellent saves, one from Jake Vincent and the other from Callam Horn. Alex Matthews was looking dangerous up and down the left flank and Ben Long looked strong in defence. Jake caused Bulldogs all sorts of problems up front and was awarded a penalty for being pushed from behind in the box. Up stepped Callam Horn and slotted the ball home from the spot. Bulldogs fought back hard and John was having an outstanding game in the Bulldogs' goal. Cameron Francis and Tyler Churchill came on for Alex Matthews and Stephen Clarke. Brandon were caught napping and Reese broke through for Bulldogs to make it 2-1 with a well-deserved goal. Pedro was excellent, containing the lively Brandon strike force. Callam looked dangerous, pushing forward and was unlucky when he struck a post twice before finishing off the quarter with an excellent individual run to make it 3-1. Jake added two more goals to his tally and Callam just missed with a left-foot curling ball that just went wide. Ben Long (Players' Player) was outstanding again and kept things tight at the back of the defence. Bulldogs still looked threatening but it stayed 5-1 to Brandon.

BRANDON LASSES U15 put on a brave display with a depleted side against Discovery King's Lynn. Playing with four inexperienced players this was always going to be an uphill battle, but the girls stuck to their task and by

half-time were 2-0 down. Under the circumstances you might have expected Brandon to cave in but Kayleigh Nolan fired the ball under the keeper and they were back in the game. A long-range effort from Frankie Torrance almost made it 2-2 before a Brandon own goal finished off any fightback and just before full-time a sloppy goal gave the visitors a slightly flattering scoreline. Special praise goes to Rachel Lynch, Frankie Torrance and Mariah Moules who defended stoutly. Final score: Brandon 1, Discovery King's Lynn 4.

BRANDON LADS U13 hosted their last game of the season against a strong Woodbridge team and it was Woodbridge that started the stronger team, catching Brandon napping to take an early lead, which gave Brandon the kick-start they needed and soon levelled after great work by Jordan Kemp, who set Danny Baker free to superbly fire home. Brandon soon grabbed their second after a great strike from Kyle Dyer was saved by the keeper who pushed the ball into the path of Harry Rampley who coolly slotted the ball home. Woodbridge kept coming at Brandon and soon got their reward after a defensive mix-up to level. Brandon were playing great football in all areas of the pitch and after a great run by Muzza Burt, he played the ball into Isaac Allen who crossed a superb ball into the box which was met with a first- class header by Kemp over the keeper. The second half was more like a game of chess with each team making their moves but being cancelled out. Final score Brandon 3, Woodbridge 2. The whole game was played at a fast tempo with great football being played in the right manner by both teams. Brandon can be proud of their first season in the top flight of the ISYFL every player has given their all and have been brilliant. MoM: Jake Bogle hard-working winger.

LAKENHEATH U12 travelled to Swanton Morley for the final of the South Norfolk Youth League Plate and won 6-0. The two teams had battled hard throughout the season and were evenly matched, their last two games against each other being draws. Lakenheath were nearly rewarded with a goal in the first couple of minutes but Bulldogs defence held firm. After a corner, Lakenheath defender Miles Stiddard got the ball on the edge of the box beat one player and slotted the ball in the net. A second came when a corner from Ben Nolan was met with the head of Connor Knight, the keeper saved it but Nico Hickford was on hand to score the second from close range. From here on it was all Lakenheath, who pushed forward at every opportunity. The Lakenheath defence held firm when Bulldogs broke and Piotr Babicz made a brave save at the feet of the Bulldogs forward. Kieron Danbrowsky added a third after another good passing move and Ben Nolan added the fourth before half-time. The second half started well and Bulldogs continued to press and play some fine football. Lakenheath had to be on their guard as Bulldogs threatened and even hit the bar after some great passing. After a break from midfield Ben scored his second. Lakenheath attacked again as the game neared the end, and Jack Self shot from the edge of the box only to see the keeper push the ball wide. In the dying minutes with Lakenheath attacking again Jack Self laid the ball off for the captain Connor Knight to hit the ball from outside the box over the keeper. When the final whistle went the Lakenheath team were ecstatic, winning their first trophy of the season. The scoreline was not a true reflection of the game as the Bulldogs battled through to the end.

HARLING COLTS U12 found the League Cup final a game too far and lost out on a league and cup double to a strong Old Catton side 3-1. Jamie Woodcock made a fine fingertip save before Old Catton took a goal lead into half time. A much stronger showing from Harling in the second half saw Rorie Knights, Rob Turner and Luke Holland all go close before Catton added two further goals. MoM Holland grabbed a consolation from Sam Smith's pass.

Most Read

THETFORD BULLDOGS U9 visited Brandon, and despite their best efforts, couldn't find the high standards of early season against the champions elect. Brandon scored within 20 seconds, as Bulldogs were caught napping. This did spur them on and Rhys was denied by a stunning save, and then smashed a drive inches wide from distance. Brandon scored from a soft penalty at the end of the quarter to make it 2-0. In the second quarter, Bulldogs started to get into the game and Jack threaded a ball through to Rhys, who flicked it into the net to give Bulldogs hope. Brandon again put on the pressure but Pedro, Luke and keeper John were solid at the back until Brandon's excellent defender ran through and although John saved the shot, it rebounded in off the Brandon player. Bulldogs then had another chance but the Brandon keeper made a double save to deny Pedro. In the third quarter, Brandon's centre-forward scored a couple more goals. Bulldogs are now on a very good 59 points with two games left to play. MoM: Daniel.

THETFORD BULLDOGS U12 played Lakenheath in the cup final. Bulldogs had the upper hand over Lakenheath in their league meetings and the pressure was on for this match. Bulldogs had the first chance but George's effort was blocked. Andre then drove his shot inches wide, before Lakenheath scored. Bulldogs' heads seemed to drop and Lakenheath turned up the pressure and beat Jospeh for 2-0 then 3-0. This was quickly followed by a fourth before half-time. The second half was tighter and Jordan Turner was making the difference, but Lakenheath smashed in a fifth then a sixth. MoM: Milo Clay.

MUNDFORD U9 played Indies B and won 6-1. Mundford ended what has been a very successful season with a final win. Jude Blakemore quickly hit the first goal and Harvey Shorton quickly followed suit to make it 2-0. Mundford worked well as a team and in the second quarter Jude made the game his own by three wonderful individual goals in quick succession. Harvey added one more.

Amazingly, this is how the score remained for Mundford as Indies B rallied round with the keeper working extremely hard and they managed to get a very well-deserved goal back which took the final score to 6-1. MoM: Sam Rolph.