Thetford/Watton area notes

MUNDFORD U11 were away to New Buckenham in the cup. They soon took the lead when Ryan Harvey latched onto Ben Wells' goal kick and his cross was turned home by Michael Corbyn.

MUNDFORD U11 were away to New Buckenham in the cup. They soon took the lead when Ryan Harvey latched onto Ben Wells' goal kick and his cross was turned home by Michael Corbyn. The same player soon added number two before Jack Pinner finished off good work by Joe Zipfell and Harvey. Just before the break Ryan Harvey, Sam Long and John Pearce scored to make it 6-0. Harry Walker got the scoring moving again before George Hammond stepped forward to smash home a great goal. The away side then got extremely sloppy and had to rely on some resilient defending by Luke DeMeyer to keep the clean sheet intact, but just before the end Hammond was on hand to grab two goals for his hat-trick. Final score: New Buckenham 0, Mundford 10. MoM: Ryan Harvey.

MUNDFORD U14 played West Winch, at home, in the league, and won 4-1. Mundford did not start the game with their usual drive, but were the first to score, when a shot from Mason Thorogood was dropped by the keeper. Much of the play remained in the middle of the park, until eventually Sam Bunten broke through and made it 2-0. Good work in defence from Ryan Billmen, Daniel Jackson and Aiden Bond held the score at 2-0 at half-time. The game was much the same in the second half, with neither team gaining the upper hand. Eventually, despite courageous effort from keeper Adam Whybrow, West Winch scored from a corner. Mundford replied with a great run and goal from Ben Peacock. Thorogood followed this with a strike from outside the box, for 4-1 at full-time. Good midfield play from Thorogood and Callum Webber and a deserved win, despite Mundford not playing to their full potential.

BRANDON LASSES U15 beat visitors Needham Phoenix 10-0. Being captain for the day spurred Harriet Mills on to a personal best four goals in a match. Brandon controlled the game from start to finish and were comfortably 5-0 up by half-time. Goals coming from Mills (2), Kayleigh Nolan (2), and a blockbuster from Tash Rutter. The second half saw Catherine Plant make her debut for Lasses. Frankie Torrance soon made it 6-0 before an own goal took the score to seven. Rutter got her second for number eight before PoM Harriet took her tally to four and the team to a final score of 10-0.

BRANDON LASSES U11 travelled to Firside in the League Cup confident after their last meeting. They started brightly and Leah Zawiasa's shot hit a post. Millie Bales went close soon after followed by Jessie Whybrow but they also hit woodwork. Midway through first half when Brandon were continuing to dominate, they suffered a major setback when the regular keeper had to retire ill, which forced Brandon to reshuffle. Brandon continued to dominate but couldn't apply the finishing touch. Half-time: Firside 0, Brandon 0. Second half was far more even. Lucy Page was running midfield but with five minutes of the match left Firside had a long-range effort that rifled in the top corner. Brandon didn't let their heads drop, they pushed forward and won a free-kick on the edge of Firside's area and Lucy Page scored from it, that proved to be the last kick of the game. This meant extra time. Both teams went all out to win and in the second period Firside had another long range shot and scored. Final score: Firside 2, Brandon 1. PoM: Leah Zawiasa. Special mention to Millie Bales who played well as makeshift keeper.

HARLING COLTS U12 visited Toftwood and returned with a 4-2 win. These two previously undefeated teams put on a great game with Harling coming out on top. Jamie Woodcock's brilliant fingertip save kept Toftwood out before Rorie Knights pass set up Daniel Mobbs to score from the edge of the box. Toftwood equalised before half-time but Harling regained the lead just after the break when Isaac Watkinson's shot was blocked but fell to Sam Smith to slot home. Toftwood equalised again but Harling regained the lead when Knights pass freed Mobbs to slot his shot under the advancing keeper. Harling continued to press and added a fourth in the last minute when Mobbs completed his hat-trick from Luke Holland's pass. MoM: Trafford Rusted for a great performance in defence.

SWAFFHAM U11 played away this week at Dereham Panthers and produced a fine display of teamwork, winning 8-1. For the first five minutes the football was evenly matched, but then Swaffham found their feet and produced three goals in the first half. Panthers came close to the box, but were kept at bay with good defending, and Sam, consistent as ever, dominated the goal area. With some positional changes, the second half saw some fine football, good communication and smooth passing. Swaffham were on a roll, with Filip scoring two goals, Elliot one, and Aiden producing two more, taking his total five. Five minutes from the whistle Panthers put away a striking goal, making the final result 8-1 to Swaffham. MoM: Aiden.

Most Read

WATTON U15 played at Thorpe against a team which has already beaten them this season. Watton tried a new formation and simply shredded Thorpe in every area. Watton's first goal came after 15 minutes from Bruno, who was to score again just five minutes later. The Watton midfield of Nath and Connor played some wonderfully simple passes both back - to a superb supporting defensive three of Joe, Sol and James - and wide at every chance to the lightning pace of Mikey and Jase on the wings. Watton's third goal was the best of the match. Bruno played a beautifully-weighted ball down the right side to Jase who fired the ball in to a storming Nathan header. In the second half Thorpe attacked the Watton lads, but the superb Watton defence of Fitzy and Lewis kept it simple at the back. Keeper Chris showed brave goalkeeping and saved on many occasions to keep Thorpe out, but at the other end, Watton were to score again when Bruno tapped in after a Thorpe defensive error and then Watton made it 5-0 when Jase, finally ended his goal-scoring drought with a superb strike. Watton scored yet again when sub Austin sneaked round the back of Thorpe unnoticed and stroked the ball in the net. Thorpe were to score a superb consolation goal over Chris's head 10 minutes from the end, but Watton had the game safe by then. This was by far Watton's best-ever performance. Final score: Thorpe 1, Watton 6. MoM: Fitzy.

WATTON U12 travelled to Scole and got off to a flyer with a superb goal by Cammy. Watton then, as normal, let this lead slip. Then some good play by Jack to Luke then to Cam who passed to Matt, he crossed to Jimmy, he flicked to Lee, who smashed it in the top corner for his first-ever league goal. Watton with Connor in goal, Perry, Lewis, David and James in defence started to get to grips but again let a sloppy goal in. Half-time came with Watton playing nice football but giving away the ball too much. Second half came with a good through-ball by Cam and a neat finish by Jimmy. Scole again got a goal back. This game looked like a draw but then Lewis won a good header. The ball looked like it was going out but Matt never gave up and slotted the ball past the Scole keeper from an impossible angle. Then Matt added his second when Jack won the header at the back post and he slotted home from close range. Cammy won the ball in midfield, passed to Luke who beat two players, passed to Matt who hit a shot from 20 yards over the keeper for his first hat-trick. The game finished 6-3 to Watton with Connor having a good game and Perry, Lewis, David and James working hard in defence. MoM: Matt Bennett.

BULLDOGS U9 put in their best performance of the season to win comfortably at Mulbarton. On paper, the match looked tight but it ended up a mis-match. Mulbarton started strong but couldn't break Luke and Pedro down. But Bulldogs woke up and after a long spell of corners and throws Daniel played Rhys in and he scored his 20th of the season. Bulldogs went two up quickly when Luke made a superb tackle when Mulbarton's striker was in one-on-one the ball broke to Pedro who lofted the ball over and Rhys smashed high into the net for 2-0. Then Pedro won the ball and beat four players before his cross wasn't finished. Bulldogs continued to dominate but Luke was forced into another superb tackle. Bulldogs then had a spell of pressure and Lewis came close to making it 3-0. Bulldogs third came when Lewis played Rhys in over the top and he placed the ball into the net to complete his hat-trick. Bulldogs created more chances but were becoming wasteful in front of goal. The third quarter Daniel was denied by a superb save from the Mulbarton keeper. Bulldogs got a fourth low when Joseph struck a sublime lob from the edge of the area. Luke again came close. It was five when Luke's long throw was flicked in delightfully by Daniel. The last quarter Bulldogs rested Luke but it continued to be Bulldogs dominating with Pedro and Josh rarely tested in defence and it was Pedro who scored the final goal after a good cross from Joseph. MoM: Pedro.

WATTON U10 travelled to face Dereham Wanderers Stags, and after a bruising contest on a difficult pitch, claimed another three points to go top of the league. Starting the brighter, Watton took an early lead, when a stunning turn and strike from Joshua Walker flew into the roof of the net. This lead was soon doubled as James Beaumont struck superbly from the edge of the box, before a kick in the face saw James replaced by Ben Walker. Clearly shocked, Dereham responded well, but excellent defending from Liam Owen and Kade Bond, and one fine reaction save from Asher Duncan meant Watton led 2-0 at the break. The second quarter saw Watton come out strongly again, and after a couple of near misses from Ben and Sam Bray, Watton scored a third after a wonderful long-range effort from Matty Hendrie found the top corner. Some great teamwork then saw Liam and Ollie Kerrison combine on the left, and Ollie's superb cross-field pass found Sam who stroked the ball home to see Watton lead 4-0 at half-time. The second half started well for Watton as James added his second, but then injuries to Liam, Joshua and then Matty saw Watton lose a little bit of shape, and Dereham pulled a goal back. The final quarter saw Watton start to regain control, with everybody working extremely hard, but another late strike from Dereham, which gave Asher no chance in the Watton goal, saw a final score of Dereham Wanderers Stags 2, Watton 5. Despite difficult circumstances, this was another excellent display by everyone involved.

WATTON U13 played away to Dereham Diamonds. Watton were already aware that this was not going to be a hard match but, as always, Watton went with the attitude of not being complacent. Dereham Diamonds have a new manager and a fairly new squad and that was where the difference lay. Straight from the off Watton had full control of the game and Dereham's inexperience started to show. Lots of good players but not gelling as a team, unlike long- running Watton. By half-time Watton were 12-0 up and there could have been more but their goalie never let his head down and produced some great saves. The second half mirrored the first with another 12 goals bringing the final score to 24-0. All credit to the Dereham side as they kept battling right to the very end and never let their heads drop, something a lot of other teams would have done. From Watton's point of view the game plan was simple and well executed. This now puts Watton top of the league and yet to concede a goal, well done. Goal scorers were Matty Russell (6), Jason Holt (5), Ben Dack (3), Tom Rayner (3), C J Edge (3), Stephen Clubb, Sam Chillystone, Adam Burridge and Sam Weaver. MoM: Matty Russell.

BRANDON U9 looked sharp from the start against Toftwood and were unlucky not to take the lead within a minute of the kick-off. Alex Matthews looked menacing on the left flank and broke through to open the scoring early on. Jake Vincent made it 2-0 from an excellent flighted corner from Ben Long and Alex Matthews added another from a long pass from Callam Horn in defence. Jake Vincent was unlucky not to add another from a 20-yard strike which the excellent Toftwood keeper just managed to tip over the crossbar. Two minutes later though Jake was played through again by Tyler Churchill to round off the first 15 minutes at 4-0. Brandon looked comfortable in defence with Ben Long and Callam Horn controlling the play and Will Bales hardly touching the ball in the Brandon goal. Early in the second quarter Jake Vincent broke through again and made it 5-0 with his left foot. Brandon then applied more pressure with Ben Long scoring an absolute scorcher from 25 yards. Stephen Clarke then opened his account. Jake made it 8-0 before Toftwood pulled back a well- deserved own goal from an excellent corner. In the third quarter, Brandon played some lovely passing football and began to turn the screw on the Toftwood defence. Stephen Clarke added his second and Tyler Churchill pounced on two more to make it 11-1 with 15 minutes to play. In the last quarter Alex Matthews nearly scored with an excellent header from another brilliant Ben Long corner. Callam Horn scored his first goal of the game with a confident lob from 30 yards. Jake Vincent scored his fifth goal with a great individual run through the Toftwood defence and Tyler Churchill rounded things off with a tap-in from five yards. A brilliant performance from Brandon in a game played in excellent spirit. final score: 14-1. Well done guys. MoM: voted by Toftwood, Callam Horn.

BRANDON LADS U11 beat St John's 4-0. Brandon started the brighter of the two teams and scored an early goal with a great long range effort from Elliott Gibson The midfield of Aspin, Ostrowski, Fuller and Gibson dictated the play and from this they created numerous scoring opportunities for the strike force of Farthing and Brown. Matt Brown doubled the score with a neat finish and just before half-time Olly Farthing broke down the left and scored with a good strike inside the near post. In the second half St Johns put Brandon under pressure but with the back four of Clawson Newson, Benham and Wing defending superbly and Thomaz Ostrowski in fine form Brandon got back to the passing football. After Olly Farthings neat through ball to Greg Ostrowski whose first-time cross was tucked away by the hard-working Matt Brown. This completed the scoring and was a great team display.

BRANDON LADS U12 entertained local neighbours Lakenheath and both teams put on a terrific show for the watching crowd with the hosts winning 1-0. Lakenheath, as always, looked dangerous up front, but any half-chances they had were dealt with coolly and calmly by the well organised Brandon back four of Ridge, Manning, Stubbings and Miller. Leech and Greenacre for Brandon controlled the midfield with Goetsch and Pearson working hard up front. Both teams did fail in the first half to find a clinical finish and it ended 0-0. Brandon started the second half well and from a well-taken Greenacre corner, Goestch nipped in at the far post to score. Lakenheath, to their credit, continued to work hard and put Brandon under a great deal of pressure towards the end of the match, but that strong back four held firm and saw the match out. Great credit to all players in a tough match where it was difficult to make changes.

BRANDON LADS U13 visited table-toppers Woodbridge and started well. Brandon having a large amount of the possession in midfield and soon got the opening goal from Lewis Norton, only for it to be ruled offside. The Brandon teamwork kept them in the driving seat and when Woodbridge attacked it was the impressive Brandon defence of Power, Harry, Stevenson and Scott that came out winners, but Brandon needed to find a way through a tight Woodbridge defence. This was a great performance from both sides, however it was Woodbridge who got the first goal, after a great save from Jack Field but Woodbridge scored from the rebound and then went on to score their second before half-time. The second half was an evenly fought contest, for a long time it looked much like stalemate, however Isaac Allen opened up the Woodbridge defence with some great footwork and coolly slotted Brandon's first goal home. From the restart Brandon were straight back on the attack with the impressive Jordan Kemp who played a defence- spitting pass into Harry Rampley to fire home to pull Brandon back level. Brandon had their tails up now and believed it was their game to win and with Rampley putting in some superb crosses and the threat of Kemp upfront, it looked like Brandon would have the final word. However, this is football and within seconds the ball broke loose for Woodbridge to attack and grab a late winner with a 3-2 final score. Brandon again can be proud of their performance even in defeat, with all 14 players giving a 100 per cent when called upon. MoM: Charlie Power.

BRANDON LADS U16 started off in a very lively way against Diss Town and quickly got some good pressure on goal. Preston Sharpe got the scoring under way with a well-taken goal. Brandon were now settling down into a good rhythm. They were quickly rewarded with another goal. This time, some great one-touch passing saw Matt Molyneux played into the box by Luke Browne and finish with a low drive, the keeper well beaten. Just before half-time, Brandon went 3-0. This time Matt Molyneux was played in by Callum Powell and tucked the ball away neatly beyond the goalkeeper. The back four and midfield were working very hard and this was evident by Jake Tate having little work to do in goal. Molyneux should have had a hat-trick before half-time but was unable to direct a header goalwards. The second half saw chances come and go for both teams but the defence and midfield were keeping Diss to long shots on goal. Then a long kick by Jack Tate saw the ball go beyond their defence and Preston Sharpe tucked the ball away for his second. Changes were made, with all subs making an appearance and the good work was kept up. With minutes to go Jake Tate was forced into a save and Jake Silverwood cleared a certain goal effort off the line. Final score: Brandon Lads 4, Diss Town 0.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9B continued their winning run at Garboldisham with a nail-biting victory. The small pitch meant that any loose ball could be to the advantage of either side. An hour of end-to-end play started with an early goal by Garboldisham but was immediately answered by pressure from Harry Blake and a cracking shot at goal from the corner by Harry Roberts. The ricochet off the post was nicely tidied up by Shannon Richardson to make it 1-1. Harry was not to be denied and only had to wait four minutes before spotting an opening. The shot from the corner of Garboldisham's box was impossible to save, right up in the top corner of the goal. Meanwhile, with the ball popping out all over the place, Phoenix Bartram-Gorzelak in defence and Jaden Bernard in goal kept Garboldisham at bay. Harry Blake finished off the quarter with a fantastic display of calm control under pressure, feeding the ball directly to Shannon in front of the goal who looped it over the bewildered keeper for a 3-1 lead. Lucas Fowles and Eddie McGill brought the pressure to bear in the second quarter with fine passing and several shots at goal later on in the quarter which didn't quite make it. Again, Phoenix and Jaden managed to clear any danger from loose balls, normally being chased by a very determined Garboldisham striker. One more goal was conceded to Garboldisham. Half-time clearly refreshed the Red Dragons who came out with renewed energy, especially Lucas who managed an excellent shot from the corner of the box after eight minutes to make it 4-2. A hand-ball offence on the goal line saw Garboldisham get a penalty. Lucas put in an excellent cross in front of Garboldisham's goal, confounding the keeper and setting Harry Blake up for a well-controlled fifth goal for the Red Dragons. The frenzy continued in the fourth quarter, boosted by Lucas' early goal but the control and passing remained despite the energy that was being put in. Some excellent control and defensive work up into midfield from Kit Heathershaw and Eddie McGill kept Garboldisham frustrated. Garboldisham finished the match with the final goal a couple of minutes from the end. MoM: Shannon. Final score: Indies Red Dragons 6, Garboldisham 4.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U10 were visited by Needham Market Phoenix and turned in an excellent team performance to run out comfortable 5-1 winners. After a slow start which saw an early goal conceded, Indies found their rhythm, began passing and increased their work rate to slowly take control of the game. In attack Indies always looked a threat, with Charlie McGill, Ryan Fox, Taylor Vickers and Tom Osbourne linking well to create a number of chances. Indies equaliser came just before half-time when Charlie McGill advanced with the ball and placed his shot beyond the keeper. In the second half Indies' defence took control, breaking up the Needham attacks and quickly feeding the ball forward. Lewis Sayers, Joe Kingsbury, Luke Nicholas and Ryan Goulding were disciplined in their marking and strong-tackling, gradually drawing the threat out of the Needham attack. On the odd occasion that the defence was beaten Harry Macintosh was in superb form in goal, producing some excellent saves. Early in the second half Indies got their second when Taylor Vickers shot home, quickly followed by a third as Ryan Fox topped off an energetic performance with a well-taken goal. Charlie McGill and Taylor Vickers then grabbed a second each as Indies ran out comfortable winners. Final result: Thetford Indies 5, Needham Market Phoenix 1.