Thetford/Watton Times area in focus

BRANDON LASSES U10 played an end-to-end game away to Swanton and both sides fought well.

Alexis scored two brilliant goals and Amaris, Tori, Jess and Shannon were unlucky not to increase the score with some great shots. Louise K stepped up in goal and had an amazing performance for her first time in that position. Millie once again held a great position in defence and Faye and Louise B helped to keep the back line looking solid. A good display from all the girls.

BULLDOGS U13 travelled to Swanton Morley Blacks in the league and came away with a good 3-1 win. The first half finished 0-0 with both teams missing good chances. In the second half Bulldogs took control of the game. The first goal came from a good finish by Daniel Stevens after a good through-ball from Ryan Brown. The second came shortly after when Archie Moore produced a great finish from 20 yards, when the ball came to him from a corner. Blacks replied just before the end of the game to make it 2-1 then Connor Coleman made it 3-1 after a good run and finish. A well-deserved win. Bulldogs MoM: Aigars Parpucis. Swanton MoM: Daniel Stevens.

MUNDFORD U15 travelled to Litcham for a league game, and came away 17-0 winners. Mundford had control of the game from the start, holding Litcham in their half. Scorers in the first half were Mason Thorogood, Aiden Bond (2), Callum Webber (2), Sam Bunten (2) and Tom Wells. Half-time score 8-0. The second half saw further goals from Casey Underwood (3), Bunten (3), Alex Gristock, Jake Cottrel, and Thorogood.

MUNDFORD U12 made their way into the League Cup final with an emphatic 8-0 victory over Thetford Town. After a very even first quarter Mundford burst into life when Michael Corbyn slid home and Ryan Harvey shot home from an acute angle before Dean Scott scored a beautiful volley from outside the box, Corbyn completed the quickfire four goals when he finished from close range. Mundfod dominated after the break and played some lovely football. Harvey finished a good move and Sam Long grabbed a deserved goal when he bravely headed home. John Pearce’s lovely cross was slotted home for Corbyn’s hat-trick and Harry Walker completed the scoring when he thumped one home from 20 yards. MoM: Joe Clarke.

You may also want to watch:

LAKENHEATH YOUTH U13 played a friendly with Mildenhall. Both teams started well, it was end to end but Mildenhall started to pull away and were rewarded with a goal when there was a mistake made by the Lakenheath defence. However, it did not last long as Kieron Danbrowsky scored the equaliser after a fine chip over the keeper. Mildenhall pushed hard and a mistake in defence allowed them to take the lead. In the second half Lakenheath scored three quick goals from Ben Nolan, Kieron Danbrowsky and Callum Thorgood to make it 4-2. From then on Mildenhall pushed but the Lakenheath defence held strong. Lakenheath had a few chances but could not convert them. Late on, Mildenhall scored their third but Lakenheath held on to win. MoM: Connor Knight; manager’s MoM: Max Granger.

THETFORD TOWN U13 hosted Heigham Park and from the off Town wasted no time before Daniel scored his first of four goals. Soon after, Ruben scored on his debut for Town. Heigham Park were determined to keep in the game and were very unlucky with the ball hitting the bar. Daniel packed another two goals in the first half making the score 4-0. The second half saw some great football from both teams and even when Town made the final score 6-0 with another goal from Daniel, and Bart powering the back of the net, Hingham Park never gave up. MoM: superb display of football and great effort, Daniel Jurczyk.

Most Read

THETFORD BULLDOGS U14 played at leaders Castle Rising. Bulldogs showed them how much they had improved since their last meeting and they made Castle work. Bulldogs’ defence made a couple of errors but learnt by them, Sam made some fantastic saves. Irui Nunes, Brad-lee Allan, Tom Cole and Jack Thorpe worked really well together and it was unlucky they didn’t score. The whole Bulldog team kept testing Castle and got a lot of possession. Final score 6-0, no reflection of the game, the whole of the Bulldog team played so well. Next week Bulldogs are in the semi-finals of the Sub Cup. MoM: Brad-lee Allan and James Darton.

BRANDON LASSES U13 travelled to Witnesham already crowned league champions but looking to end the season with a 100 percent record. They knew they would be in for a tough game against a competitive Witnesham side. In a closely- fought contest the home side always looked dangerous going forward and defended superbly to limit Brandon’s chances. Late on, Witnesham broke free and netted.

BRANDON LASSES U12 welcomed Horsford for their second encounter of the season knowing only a win would do. Horsford played well from the kick-off with excellent defending and goalkeeping. Although Brandon defended well and controlled the midfield they failed to create any real chances up front and went into half-time 0-0. The Lasses started the second half much better, attacking the Horsford goal and putting the away team under real pressure. The chances started to come with both A Craigen and L Craigen unlucky not to break the deadlock. Brandon started to dominate with some lovely passing football, more chances for the Lasses came from Dargan, Zawiasa and Skipp, all unlucky not to score. Solid performances at the back from Amacker, Robertson and Page kept Horsford at bay as the odd counter-attack came. Brandon’s patience paid off in the second half when an excellent dummy from Dargan found Skipp on the right, his excellent cross then set up Bales to finish well. Lasses pushed to extend their lead and hard-working Masters was rewarded when a corner from Lucy, flicked on by Bales and superbly finished by Masters on her left foot. Another decent performance keeping the Lasses top. Final score Brandon Lasses 2, Horsford Youth 0. PoM: Leah Zawiasa.

BRANDON LASSES U11 travelled to Witnesham for the last game of the season, a top-of-the-table championship decider. An excellent start from the Lasses saw the Wasps frustrated early on. Brandon defended as a team, playing for each other and giving their all. But the breakthrough came for Witnesham who scored after a decent passing move down the right. The rest of the first half turned into a real battle with strong tackling and great spirit from both sides. The second half started with both teams still in the game and both wanting the points. Brandon looked good defensively and were quick on the counter-attack but just not quite finding the final ball through. Witnesham failed to extend their lead with two clear-cut chances flying past the post from short range. Lasses had a chance late on but no-one could connect to finish as the ball bounced around the area. An excellent performance to finish an excellent season. PoM: The whole team.

BRANDON LADS U9 had another excellent win away at Thetford Bulldogs. With a 12-0 lead from the first leg of the semi-final it was time for the boys to enjoy their football and have a bit of fun. Daniel Bean looked sharp early on and opened the scoring with a tap-in from a Hayden Edgecombe free-kick. Teddy Webber then made it 2-0 with a goal kick that he latched onto. Bean then added his second from a superb pull-back by Tommy Younge. At the other end, Lucas Kent imade an excellent save. In the next quarter, Lucas Kent scored a well-taken tap-in to take the score to 4-0. Lewis O’Malley picked up the ball just inside the Bulldogs half and let rip with another excellent strike to fire the ball into the roof of the net for 5-0. In the last 15 minutes Daniel Bean got a well deserved hat-trick from a superb ball from Tommy Younge and Jordan Paddy (MoM) was all over the pitch, looking really strong. Teddy Webber also looked menacing all game and played some excellent through balls and passes from the middle of the park, Bulldogs got a well-deserved consolation goal for 6-1 (18-1 on aggregate). Brandon play the South Norfolk Cup final on Saturday, April 30.

HARLING COLTS U13 conceded two goals early on against Lakeford, but despite this, Harling put in a good performance and were unlucky not to come away with a point. Jack Rodwell’s strong run and cross set up Luke Holland, who scored with a dipping shot from outside the box. Lakeford scored again, but Sam Smith showed great determination in getting to the by-line and pulling the ball back for Holland to volley home his second. Lakeford scored once more, but a harsh penalty decision in their favour saw justice done when Harling keeper Jamie Woodcock tipped the kick over the bar. Final score: Lakeford U13 4, Harling Colts U13 2.

SWAFFHAM TOWN U10 travelled to Morley and made a good start when L Worby scored direct from a corner. Solid defending from C Burton, T Burke and J Sanders limited Morley to long-range efforts which J Lenderyou dealt with comfortably. J Melladay surged onto M Friend’s pass to hit a screamer into the net. D O’Neill hammered home a low shot for number three and L Worby slotted in to make it 4-0. H Despard was unlucky not to add a fifth when he failed to connect with D O’Neill’s teasing cross. Morley scored a late consolation goal. Final score: Morley 1, Swaffham Town 4. MoM: Callum Burton.

MUNDFORD U10 started their game against Brandon with both teams playing attractive passing football. The first quarter ended goalless. Brandon pressure eventually paid off with a fine 20-yard strike into the bottom of the net. Mundford came back into the game and forced several corners. Harvey found himself in on goal and calmly slotted the ball into the net. Mundford dominated the rest of the quarter but failed to capitalise on their possession. By the last quarter Mundford were dominating, and following an excellent passing movement which started in their own half, Harvey was put through on goal and he finished confidently. It was no surprise when Harvey completed his hat-trick for a 3-1 win for Mundford, earning him man of the match.

WEETING U11 remain clear at the top with a 5-2 win over a Diss team that gave their all until the end and scored twice in the last few minutes. The first half saw the visitors start well but the home team then got their passing going. J Peeling fired home and it was soon 2-0 when C Stone’s superb cross-field pass found D Peacock whose instant touch set him up for Weeting’s 100th league goal of the season with a fine volley. Peeling made it 3-0 from close range. The game was put beyond Diss when within five minutes of the second half Peacock scored from the penalty spot. Diss scored two late goals. Peacock’s fine run set up Peeling for his hat-trick and a 5-2 win. MoM: J Peeling. PoD: J Peach.

WATTON U11 continued their excellent winning run as they saw off Poringland at home. In a mixed display, Watton dominated the first half, scoring six goals without reply but the second half was much more even with Poringland pulling a goal before two late goals from Watton saw them wrap an 8-1 victory. The goals were scored by Cameron Hudson (3), Joshua Walker (2), James Beaumont, Kade Bond and Korben Willis, but the whole team takes great credit for another determined performance, which saw them continue working to the end and again show tremendous character.

INDIES U10 beat Lakenheath thanks to a goal fest from Alfie Cooper. Despite the final scoreline Indies didn’t have it all their own way. The opening goal from Alfie Cooper within the first few seconds of the start looked promising for Indies but two Lakenheath goals within a couple of minutes during the second quarter turned the game in the home team’s favour. Cooper managed an equalising goal just before the half-way mark. Indies added one more goal to re-take the lead during the third quarter after an Aiden Try cross was met cleanly by Cooper for his hat-trick. Indies then dominated the final quarter of the game as Lakenheath failed to cope with wave after wave of crosses from the right by Aiden Try. These efforts earned him man of the match. These crosses were met by Cooper for both his own and Indies’ fourth of the game. It was then Eddie Wilkinson who scored his first goal of the season after latching onto another cross from Try. Alfie Cooper then completed the scoring with his fifth goal on what was a golden day for the midfielder. Lakenheath earned a soft penalty late in the game to pull back another goal but was too little, too late.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter