Thetford/Watton Times area in spotlight

BRANDON LASSES U12 hosted Sprowston and lost 4-2. The Lasses came away from this game scratching their heads and wondering how they lost after dominating. Sprowston took the lead with a controversial free-kick and added a second with a deflection. Brandon were shell shocked but continued to dominate with excellent football. Lasses pulled one back after an excellent run from Millie, going past four players and slotting into the corner. Sprowston went 3-1 up after another long shot took another deflection. Lasses pulled the score back to 3-2 with a great run and left-foot finish from Masters. Sprowston killed the game off five minutes from the end with a good strike. PoM: Millie Bales

BRANDON LASSES U10 beat visiting Thorpe United 8-0. Scorers were Shannon Richardson 5, Alexis Coleman 2, Melissa Boulton 1. PoM: Alexis Coleman. Brandon were outstanding from the off, dominating play and goalie Fraya Williams never touched the ball all game! Shannon Richardson had her shooting boots on, notching an impressive five, and Alexis Coleman and Melissa Boulton, both scored great goals. Jess Morley worked hard in midfield, and controlled it with ease. Defensively, Louise Kennedy, Louise Boardman, Tori Orcutt and Millie Honour were solid, and went on some great runs down the field. Another impressive display.

HARLING COLTS U13 lost at home to Poringland 2-1. A closely-contested game saw Harling just miss out to Poringland with centre-backs Dan Canham and Trafford Rusted both putting in great performances. Poringland took the lead but clever work from Isaac Watkinson played in Callum Olpin for an excellent equaliser. Poringland scored again before the break but Harling nearly gained a point with two good efforts from Daniel Mobbs.

MUNDFORD U12 had to dig deep to see off a committed Tugas side at home, 3-0. Ben Wells made two great saves when Tugas broke through, and after some great battling from Jack Pinner and Michael Corbyn, Ryan Harvey was on hand to coolly slot home. Mundford’s passing game gradually saw them get on top with Joe Zipfell picking a few quality passes, from one of these Harvey was bundled over in the box and picked himself up to score from the spot. Dean Scott and Luke DeMeyer once again had solid games at full-back. Just before the end Corbyn raced onto Harvey’s through-ball to finish in the corner. Mundford 3, Tugas 0. MoM; Ben Wells.

THETFORD U13 travelled to top-of-the-table Scole and came away 5-1 victors. Town applied pressure from the off with some fantastic passing and teamwork which paid off with an early goal. Town soon got another. Scole managed to pull one back. Town, not settling for second best, got another before half-time. Town came out in the second half with more intent but with Scole’s keeper made some fantastic saves. It was hard work but Town managed two further goals, one from the spot. This was a fantastic team effort. Scorers were Max, Samuel and Daniel. Thetford MoM: Luke Ward, Taylor Deacon. Scole MoM: Max Melanson.

THETFORD BULLDOGS U14 visited West Winch and Peter Hawes was tested straight away and made a lovely save and then Bulldogs took over the attack and with Tom Cole setting Jack Thorpe up he made it 1-0. West Winch then tested Ross, Alex, JT and Alfie in defence but they kept them out, and if they slipped through Peter saved it. West Winch got a break and levelled but Bulldogs stepped up again and between Bradlee, Tom and Jack, the latter from a good kick made it 2-1 at half-time. In the second half West Winch got a controversial penalty. Peter got to it but it got through. Bulldogs worked again with James, Marston, Harry and Jack playing a great midfield game but despite everything West Winch scored again and again. Final score: 8-2. Bulldogs never gave up and worked so hard. Team MoM: Peter Hawes and Jack Thorpe; opposition MoM: Jack Thorpe.

THETFORD BULLDOGS U11 visited top-of-the-table Weeting and gave an excellent account of themselves before losing 3-2. With both sides attacking from the start, it was Weeting who scored first but Bulldogs had several chances to equalise. The second half continued with both sides playing some good open football and Bradley broke through to score with a sublime finish. Bulldogs sensed victory but were undone by an unfortunate own goal, soon followed by a third. Heads never dropped and Lawrence powered home a header but it was a little too late. An entertaining game played in a very sporting manner. MoM: Adam.

Most Read

THETFORD INDIES U9 put up a good fight in the Open Cup at Gorleston but lost 4-2. After conceeding an early goal the boys found their rhythm and got back on level terms with a pass from Byford to Baulch. Winstone was in good form at the back alongside Sayers and Bradly and there was good passing up front between Lockwood and Baulch who gave Indies the lead after a good run. Gorleston drew level and came back strongly in the second half to lead 3-2. Carroll in goal kept Gorleston at bay and Indies kept pressing with Lockwood hitting a post and shots from Byford and Baulch, with Bennet and Barnet joining the action Indies pushed on but Gorleston took advantage of some tired legs to grab a late fourth for 4-2.

THETFORD INDIES U10 beat Mulbarton U10 6-2. This was the final game for coach Shaun Noble and son Connor before the family moves to Cornwall. Connor picked up a hat-trick in his last game with his team-mates. It was some great short passing between Noble and Aiden Try that led to the first goal with Aiden slotting the ball home. Connor Noble then got on the scoresheet himself shortly after before an own-goal from a Mulbarton defender following a fierce cross from Aiden Try for a three-goal lead. Jamie Humphrey some excellent saves but Mulbarton’s efforts were finally rewarded with a goal, before Indies replied with a sweet strike from Connor. Aiden and Connor added further goals before Mulbarton replied. MoM: Jamie Humphrey.

THETFORD INDIES U10 climbed to second place in the SNYFL table with a comfortable 5-1 victory over Dereham Wanderers. However, although the final scoreline demonstrated Indies’ dominance of the game, they didn’t have it all their own way and Dereham got close to an equaliser. The Dereham keeper performed well keeping the many fierce Indies shots out of his goal and it was a well placed shot from Kehan Whitby that finally beat the keeper. A long-range effort from Aiden Try doubled Indies’ lead. Dereham got a goal, followed by a penalty award but the kick struck a post with Lucas Fowles clearing the danger. Callum Brown scored his first goal for the team to restore their two-goal advantage. Indies dominated the final quarter with further goals from Kehan Whitby and Aiden Try completing the scoring. MoM: Konnor Dixon.

SWAFFHAM TOWN U10 travelled to New Buckenham and came away with a comprehensive 11-0 victory. A great pass from D O’Neill saw L Worby round the keeper to score with style, E Lait stabbed home when the keeper failed to hold O’Neill’s shot. Worby added his second when he steered home C Burton’s thunderous free-kick. C Burton was outstanding in defence, enabling the superb midfield of E Lait, M Friend and D O’neill to create chances for two cracking goals from J Melladay. M Friend then helped himself to a brace and the impressive O’Neill hit four more goals, one direct from a corner. Lenderyou pulled off two quality saves to keep a clean sheet. A very accomplished team performance. MoM: Matthew Friend

BULLDOGS U13 entertained Morley in the league and came away losing 5-1. The only goal of the game from Bulldogs came frrom Andre Macao after some good build-up play. Morley were well organised and defended very well, giving Bulldogs very few chances. A special mention goes to Alfie Small for going in goal, and producing a superb performance. Well done Alfie, man of the match.

WEETING U11 kept their unbeaten record with a 3-2 win over Thetford Bulldogs, one of their nearest rivals. This was an excellent game of football. Weeting drew first blood when a fine move was finished off by J Peeling, they should have scored more in this half but for some stubborn defending and vital saves by the keeper who was their man of the match. The second half saw the visitors fly off the blocks and were soon level with a nicely worked goal. They then had a goal disallowed for offside. A long clearance by C Sheppard was headed past his own keeper by their central defender. This seemed to spur the home team on and J Peeling was foiled four times by the keeper but he got his reward with a crisp shot into the top corner. Bulldogs kept going and in the last few minutes from a corner they scored with a nice-placed header. MoM: R Hunter. PoD: B Saberton.

WATTON U11 visited Toftwood looking to maintain their excellent run of form and produced another wonderful display to come away with another well-deserved victory. Watton played quick, pass and move football and the opposition had no answers as they dominated from the start. Ollie Kerrison followed up to score from close in and then central midfielders Cameron Hudson and James Beaumont drove forward to hit excellent strikes. Substitute Korben Willis then latched on to a fine through ball to make it 4-0 at the break. In the second half a fifth goal was scored by Korben from close range. Cameron then scored his second, before Joshua Walker got in on the act as he first rounded the keeper to score from a tight angle and then knocked home his second after a brilliant team move. Final score: Toftwood 0, Watton 8.