Thetford/Watton Times area notes

HARLING U12 made it 12 out of 12 straight wins in the league with a 5-0 win over Wymondham - a spectacular effort from all the boys, although Wymondham made it hard for them, the score at half-time being only 1-0 through an own goal.

HARLING U12 made it 12 out of 12 straight wins in the league with a 5-0 win over Wymondham - a spectacular effort from all the boys, although Wymondham made it hard for them, the score at half-time being only 1-0 through an own goal. However, the second half was a different story. Daniel Canham (MoM) made sure Wymondham never had a sniff of a chance and two goals from Daniel Mobbs and one each from Rob Turner and Luke Holland sealed the win.

LAKENHEATH LEOPARDS U12 went into this game after a great result the week before, wearing their new kit sponsored by P-Jays and Concave football boots. Bulldogs were keen to avenge the 3-0 loss against Lakenheath in the league the previous week. The game started well with attacking by both sides but it was Bulldogs who scored first with a fine goal by their winger. They continued to press Lakenheath whose defence held firm and Lakenheath had chances to break but to no avail. Bulldogs were rewarded with a second goal after a defensive lapse by the Leopards. Lakenheath looked like scoring when Ben Nolan broke through and rounded the goalkeeper, but the shot went just past a post. The second half started with some changes to the Lakenheath line-up with a view to scoring some goals. It was end to end but Lakenheath started to gain ground and pushed Bulldogs hard. They were rewarded when Ben Nolan slammed in a shot from close range, and you could see the Lakenheath spirits rise. The Leopards continued to push and even brought on Sam Buckley to have three forwards and reduced the defence to three. Bulldogs held firm but from a last-minute corner, Miles Stiddard scored his first goal of the season to bring the scores level. The final whistle blew soon after and Lakenheath missed out progressing to the semi-finals of the cup. Bulldogs 2, Lakenheath Leopards U12 2 (6-4 on aggregate). MoM: Connor Knight. Manager's MoM: Miles Stiddard.

MUNDFORD U9 produced another excellent display of football against Swaffham, starting well in the first quarter by Harvey Shorton scoring the first goal. Swaffham started playing as a team at this point only to find themselves 3-0 down at half-time. Jude Blakemore showed his skills off by possessing the ball for a large chunk of the game and with the help of his team-mates Sam Rolph and Fernando Alves, Harvey scored another two goals. Swaffham struggled to get the ball into the other half, giving Mundford keeper Angus Marsh a day off. However, the Swaffham keeper, who played brilliantly, was continually working hard and saving goals. In the third quarter James Gornall, defender, sent a lovely ball straight into the box, enabling Jude to score the next goal. This was repeated by Fernando Alves passing a smooth ball for Sam Rolph to tap in the net making it 5-0. In the last quarter, despite Billy Morris's brilliant defending, a corner kick from the Swaffham team resulted in a consolation goal. This reprieve was short-lived as an own goal from Swaffham made the score 6-1. Harry Cater set the last goal up, passing across to Harvey to make the final score 7-1 to Mundford.

MUNDFORD U11 hosted Thetford Indies and once again produced a dominant display. The first half in particular saw some extremely inventive play, Jack Pinner was instrumental in prompting many attacks, often linking up well with Michael Corbyn and Ryan Harvey. Harry Walker also produced a good cameo display and could have added more goals to his tally. The second half saw some sloppy play creep in and Indies showed great battling qualities to get on the scoresheet while Ben Wells also made a good penalty save but all in all some good performances from the team. MoM: Harry Walker. Final score: Mundford 16, Thetford Indies 2. Scorers: Ryan Harvey (4), Michael Corbyn (4), Sam Long (3), Jack Pinner (2), Harry Walker (2), John Pearce.

MUNDFORD U14 played Dersingham, at home in the league, and won 3-1. Both teams started strongly with attacks at both ends, but neither team were able to score. Atrocious weather conditions made the game more difficult, but just before half-time Dersingham managed to break through and open the scoring. In the second half, Mundford upped their game, and a superb free-kick from Mason Thorogood gave them the equaliser. Sam Bunten then out-ran the Dersingham defence, and made it 2-1, and a great strike from Robbie Smith ensured a 3-1 win for Mundford. Good work in defence from Ryan Billmen, Daniel Jackson and Ben Peacock, and great midfield play from Mason Thorogood and Archie Blakemore.

BULLDOGS U9 travelled to Indies to face their B team and although totally dominating only managed to take a 3-0 win. Bulldogs were still without Daniel through illness, and John through injury. Bulldogs started quickly and Luke, Rhys, Joseph and Lewis all had chances but Bulldogs couldn't break down Indies' four-man defence. Pedro was dealing comfortably with Indies' one striker. Bulldogs finally broke through when Joseph whipped in an unplayable cross and Lewis swept home at the back post. Bulldogs quickly doubled when a hand-ball allowed Luke to strike a free-kick from 25 yards straight into the top corner. Bulldogs keeper Jayden was protected very well throughout the quarter. The next quarter continued in the same vein with Jack comfortable at the back and everyone else attacking but Indies' tactic of just defending was proving frustrating and Bulldogs best chance came when Kieran smashed against a post but again Bulldogs were comfortable. The next quarter Quinn took the gloves and had to make an excellent save with his feet to deny Indies. Bulldogs got a third when Rhys played a cute ball into Lewis who rounded the keeper only for the Indies defender to smash the ball into his own net. Bulldogs continued to dominate but chances were being wasted as Pedro came close and Rhys was unlucky to be denied by Indies keeper. The next quarter Bulldogs missed more chances as Jayden and Rhys were unlucky before Luke managed to smash over from a yard out, before Indies were awarded a penalty. Although it was Luke who was fouled Quinn brought justice by saving the penalty superbly. The match finished 3-0 but should have been so much more. MoM: Pedro.

Most Read

BULLDOGS U12 hosted Lakenheath in the cup second leg while 4-2 up on aggregate. The game was end to end at the start with Bulldogs playing some great passing football but Lakenheath, but it was Bulldogs who opened the scoring when Andre found the back of the net. Bulldogs went two up when after a great move Daniel rose to head home. Lakenheath turned up the pressure and got a goal after a spell of pressure where Joseph had done well. Lakenheath got a second but Bulldogs held on for a cup semi-final. MoM: Arran Milne.

BRANDON LASSES U11 hosted Waveney Girls and lost 4-1. This was the return fixture from last week's match. Like last week both teams were playing good football. On two minutes though Waveney mounted an attack and scored. This only made Brandon stronger and they nearly replied straight away, with Georgia Dargan going close. Brandon pressure was growing with Leah Zawiasa, Georgia Dargan and Jessie Whybrow dominating midfield. Katie Amacker, when called upon, was making some good saves. On 15 minutes some good passing football by Brandon led to the ball coming to Millie Bales who scored to make it 1-1. Ruby Robertson and Suzy Duggan were having outstanding games at the back. The pressure from Brandon never let up, how they never added to their score was only down to some good saves from the Waveney keeper. Second half saw Millie going close Savannah Hatch and Katie Page put in some good displays but, against the run of play, Waveney made it 2-1. Brandon dug deep and passed the ball around well, creating chances but unable to convert. Waveney broke free and scored again. With the game coming to an end a bit of slack marking from Brandon led to Waveney scoring a fourth on full-time. This result flattered Waveney, a great all-round team performance. Final score: Brandon 1, Waveney 4. Brandon PoM: Suzy Duggan.

BRANDON LASSES U12 beat Sizewell and Knodidshall 5-0. Lasses got off to a good start with Ellesse Master setting up Brianna Jamgochian who put the Lasses one up. Amy Skip then but a ball into Ellesse to score and Chloe Slater then found the net after good hassling put in for the third. Chloe Morley came on for Brandon, making her debut appearance, and Charlie Reeves came on into midfield, both gaining valuable experience. Sizewell competed well and had their chances but Gianna Bly and Lucy Page both put in superb displays at the back and with Katie Meeson in goal kept a clean sheet. Lasses then scored two further goals in the second half, the first after Chloe Killingworth linked up with Brianna to play Ellesse in for her second and then Brianna scoring her second from a good one-two from a short corner and finish from a tight angle.

THETFORD INDIES U9A had a scrappy victory at home to Lakenheath. It took Indies a long time to get into their stride with two of the quietest quarters of football they have played all season. The only goal in the first quarter came late on from Connor Noble who finished off some good work from Kehan Whitby who had driven forwards with the ball. The second quarter continued in the same vein with a single Indies goal coming from Aiden Try. There were two outstanding saves from Jamie Humphrey. Indies exerted their normal dominant influence in the third quarter but with the shake-up in performance prompted by an early Lakenheath goal to close the gap to just one goal. Indies hit back quickly to restore the two-goal advantage after a good through ball from Alfie Cooper was met by Try for his second of the game. Try then completed his hat-trick soon after with a confident run and a well-rifled shot into the net. Whitby completed the scoring in the third quarter to make the scoreline a much more comfortable 5-1 going into the last quarter. Indies were on the back foot early in the final quarter and conceded a second goal before Aiden scored his fourth. There was still time for Indies' keeper Humphrey to make an outstanding save after Lakenheath were awarded a penalty which helped earn him a well-deserved MoM award. Final score: Indies 6, Lakenheath U9 2.

THETFORD INDIES U9A faced a battling Swaffham side away from home who held Indies to just one goal in the first quarter, which came after a Jordan Bowie shot slipped out of the keeper's hands for Connor Noble to pounce. The second quarter was more profitable and was dominated by some excellent play from Alfie Cooper. He finished off a long run from the middle of the pitch by scoring with a wonder strike. Aiden Try benefitted from some superb passing between Cooper, Konnor Dixon and finally Aiden who slotted the ball home. Cooper completed the quarter by toeing the ball over the line after Noble had applied pressure to the keeper. Cooper began the third quarter by completing his hat-trick before a long shot by Aiden Try from outside the penalty area also found its way into the net with help from Jordan Bowie. Cooper capitalised for his fourth goal of the game after Bowie's shot rebounded off the post and dropped to his feet. The final quarter was much quieter as Indies were restricted to a handful of shots with Swaffham getting a consolation. MoM: Konnor Dixon, superb work in defence.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U13 played host to newly-promoted Stow B. Indies started off slowly going 1-0 down early direct from a corner. Indies who started moving the ball around well and putting pressure on the opponents. Indies finally equalised when Harry White whipped in a corner which Alex Mac did excellently to head in. The rest of the half was fairly even with both teams cancelling each other out. The second half Indies went ahead when Charlie Read delivered a corner which Shey Spears attacked well, it was blocked only for Alex Mac to react quickest to put Indies ahead. Indies started playing good flowing football and extended their lead when after good work down the right from Tom Mason set up Harry White to finish off a good move. Luke Chappell and Harry White were causing havoc down the left. The fourth came when Jordan Foster coolly set the ball for Charlie Reed to see the keeper off his line and lob him to finish off the impressive display. Final score: Indies 4, Stow 1. MoM Alex Mac.

WATTON U13 played at home to arch rivals Wymondham. Wymondham always prove to be very tough opponents whenever they meet and this was no exception. An early goal from Ollie set the scene for the rest of the game. A few times Wymondham managed to get past Watton's defence only to be met by Watton's goalie Sam Weaver who kept another clean sheet by some brilliant goalkeeping. Watton's play was simple and well practiced and fooled Wymondham's midfield nearly every time, the goals started to come thick and fast. Watton's goal scorers were Ollie Standley (3), Tom Rayner (2) , C J Edge and Matty Russell. Wymondham, to their credit, never once gave up and were still trying to push into Watton's half right until the end even though they were 7-0 down, which was the final scoreline. Wymondham came to Watton top of the Trophy League but Watton have now taken that place. A very good game to watch, well done to all. MoM: Matty Russell.

WEETING U10 beat Diss Town 6-2 to keep the pressure on the top two. Weeting were soon in charge with MoM N Ward scoring twice with two fine shots. Weeting increase their lead when J Peach fired home and then C Stone finished off a fine move. Diss then manage to pull one back. M McCready's brilliant header turned over the bar with an excellent save, but he was soon on the scoresheet, poking home. The visitors did not give up and pulled another one back, but then J Peach hit a half volley to make it 6-2. PoD: C Stone.