Thetford/Watton Times area notes

BRANDON LADS U13 hosted top-of-the-table Bury Town B and the game didn't disappoint. From the start both teams gave their all in this end-to-end battle, but it was Bury who took the lead from a free- kick on the edge of the box.

BRANDON LADS U13 hosted top-of-the-table Bury Town B and the game didn't disappoint. From the start both teams gave their all in this end-to-end battle, but it was Bury who took the lead from a free- kick on the edge of the box. Some great passing saw Charlie Power place the ball in the back of the net to level and then just before the break Bury scored their second from a tight angle. The second half saw much of the same with Brandon and Bury both playing some great football, Bury did score their third and Brandon had a goal disallowed. This was a great game of football to watch with all the Brandon players all giving 100 per cent and although beaten can hold their heads high with this brilliant display. Final score: Brandon Lads U13 1, Bury Town B U13 3. MoM: Lewis Stevenson, outstanding at the back.

LAKENHEATH LEOPARDS U12 were keen to consolidate their position in the league. Bulldogs were first off the mark with a goal in the first two minutes. The Lakenheath defence were caught napping and paid the price. Lakenheath picked up the pace and were rewarded in the eighth minute when a through pass found Sam Buckley who went around the keeper and scored. The rest of the first half was tough, with both teams giving it their all to get the next goal. From a Bulldogs corner the ball bounced around the six-yard box before being cleared. The second half continued as the first with two evenly-matched teams battling for every ball. Again from a Bulldogs corner the ball bounced around before it was cleared. Lakenheath tried to catch them on the break but the Bulldogs defence held firm. Similar for Lakenheath both Miles Stiddard and Shay Thomson held solid in defence. In the end, a draw, which was a fair result as neither team deserved to lose. MoM: Miles Stiddard. Manager's MoM: Shay Thomson.

MUNDFORD U14 played Reffley, away, in the league and won 5-3. Mundford opened the scoring soon into the game with a goal from Casey Underwood, but shortly conceded an equaliser to Reffley. Reffley continued to attack and due to defensive errors went 2-1 up. Mundford fought back, and after several missed chances, Sam Bunten equalised. Again Reffley caught Mundford on the back foot and despite good defending from Aiden Bond and Adam Brown, scored their third goal but Mundford drew level again with a good strike from Bunten. In the second half Mundford had more of the play, and went 4-3 up when Archie Blakemore chipped the keeper. A corner from Mason Thorogood was headed in by Bunten, to complete his hat-trick. Good luck to the boys in the League Cup final next week.

MUNDFORD U9 for the second week running maintained a clean sheet, this time against Lakenheath. The game started with a lovely pass from Fernando Alves to Jude Blakemore who was waiting in the box ready to tap the first goal in. James Gornall put up a great block on the ball followed by a pass to Sam Rolph who scored the second. Jude was replaced by Harry Cater who scored with his first touch of the ball, having received a pass from Harvey Shoreton, immediately followed by Harry's second goal. Harvey moved in on the last quarter working tirelessly to get the ball and won the prize of a goal which was deserved. Angus Marsh made a couple of great saves but with the help of his team had very little else to do. Late on, Harry kicked high and it went into the roof of the net, sealing his first-ever hat-trick. Final score 6-0. MoM: James Gornall.

THETFORD U12 travelled to Rocklands looking for a victory to boost their chances of finishing second in the league and came away 8-0 winners. Max opened the scoring for Thetford. That first goal spurred Town on and they then took control of the game with Max adding the second before Daniel made it 3-0. Max then completed his hat-trick, making the score 4-0 at half-time. Town started the second half again in control and soon Max had scored his fourth and fifth goals before Daniel added his second to make the score 7-0. Max the completed the scoring with his sixth goal to make it an 8-0 win. Rocklands MoM: Jake Smith. Town MoM: Max.

HARLING COLTS U12 clinched the league title with two games to spare with another excellent display, scoring two goals in each half against Salhouse. Jack Rodwell (MoM) opened the scoring, heading in Rob Turner's free-kick. Luke Holland doubled it with a well-taken shot after a strong run and cross from Isaac Watkinson. Turner netted a well-struck free-kick before Rorie Knights rounded off a 4-0 win with a fine shot after good work by Daniel Mobbs and Rodwell.

Most Read

BULLDOGS U12 took on Lakneheath in a competitive match on Sunday. They nearly scored through Daniel Stevens early on but it went wide. But after some pressure Daniel did score with a tidy finish. Lakenheath started to apply their own pressure and after Jospeh made some good saves Lakenheath levelled. The second half was end to end, lots of good defensive work by both teams. Final score: 1-1. MoM: Arran Milne.

WEETING U10, with this 8-3 win over Thetford Bulldogs, have had their best season since they started three years ago. This is their tenth win of the season and they are also in the Trophy Final. Within a few minutes R Hunter fired home from the edge of box and he soon added another after bursting through the middle. Weeting then scored another when N Ward found the net. The second period saw Bulldogs have their best period and were soon back in it when they scored twice within a few minutes but their hope of getting more out of the game was stopped in their track when first M McCready poked home and then Hunter scored his third before adding a fourth and then J Peeling kept up his goal per game run. Bulldogs managed to pull a goal back and would had a couple more but for some fine and brave goalkeeping by MoM C Sheppard, but the final word went to Weeting when Ward scored the final goal of a very good game to make it 8-3. PoD M McCready.

WATTON U10 maintained their winning run, and moved a step closer to retaining their league crown, with another comfortable victory at Diss. Despite a spirited display from Diss, Watton controlled the game from the start, and quickly raced into a 3-0 lead. Stand-in striker Sam Bray grabbed the first in the first few seconds, and a second soon followed as Ollie Kerrison powered the ball home. Matty Hendrie also went close, before Sam grabbed his second with another fine finish, as Watton looked to run riot. The second quarter was much the same, with Watton constantly on the attack, and with Liam Owen dominant at the back, Asher Duncan hardly had a touch in the Watton goal. Sam grabbed another two well-taken goals, to take his personal tally to four, whilst a second from Ollie meant Watton went in 6-0 at half-time. The third quarter saw Watton create another host of chances, with James Beaumont and Kade Bond also getting on the scoresheet. Sean Grix also had a great strike blocked, as he looked to cap an excellent display, in only his second appearance of the season. The final quarter saw Watton make wholesale changes, and swap players into different positions, but another two goals soon came, as Cameron Hudson bagged a brace. Diss did manage to pull a goal back, before Ollie completed his hat-trick. Late on, a mix-up in the Watton defence saw Diss grab another consolation. The game finished Diss 2, Watton 11.

MUNDFORD U11 completed the league and cup double with a hard-fought 2-0 win over a gallant Thetford Town. The game started very evenly with Mundford probing through Sam Long and Joe Zipfell but finding very little headway against a packed defence. Ryan Harvey broke down the right from a quick John Pearce throw-in and picked out Michael Corbyn to finish in style. Mundford then seemed to lose momentum and Town forced them back but the defence, superbly marshalled by MoM George Hammond, never really looked like conceding. Mundford made several chances in the second half before Long's precise through ball saw Harvey blast the ball home for the second goal, Mundford visibly relaxed now and Pearce saw a shot cleared off the line and Harvey just failed to connect with a Corbyn cross and they remained on top until the end.