Thetford/Watton Times area reports

BRANDON LASSES U11 on the last day of the season travelled to Thorpe St Andrews to play Norwich City Girls U11and with barely 30 seconds gone they conceded a goal from a free-kick.

BRANDON LASSES U11 on the last day of the season travelled to Thorpe St Andrews to play Norwich City Girls U11and with barely 30 seconds gone they conceded a goal from a free-kick. Leah Zawiasa, Jessie Whybrow and Georgia Dargan, Millie Bales, Ruby Robertson and Suzy Duggan figured in play and Katie Amacker made a couple of good saves. Abbie Craigen came on with fresh legs and Brandon kept trying to push but on 22 minutes a lovely lob beat Katie who could only get fingers to it. Norwich scored a third. With the second half barely a minute old, poor defending let Norwich in for their fourth. Freya Hayward and Savannah Hatch had come on Millie had two shots saved. Norwich went on and scored three quick goals. Final score: Norwich City Girls 7, Brandon Lasses 0. Brandon player-of-the-match: Georgia Dargan.

BRANDON LASSES U12 finished their league programme with a comfortable 3-1 victory away to Lawshall. They soon took the lead after a good throw from Georgia O'Malley set Ellesse Master free to fire home. Bethany Field's good crossfield ball from defence set Ellesse through for her second. Lawshall dug in and mid way through the second half pulled a goal back. Brandon built from the back when Beth put Brianna Jamgochian free and a strong run and cross was met by Ellesse to complete her hat-trick at the far post. Final score: Lawshall Lions U12 1, Brandon Lasses U12 3. Well done to the whole Lasses U12 squad who have finished a credible runners-up in the league and will look to better this with positive cup performance next week.

BRANDON LADS U9 visited Thetford Indies who took the lead after eight minutes in a scramble. Will Bales made another excellent save in the Brandon goal, Brandon defended well, but so did Indies. After the break Brandon were unlucky not to equalise. Cameron Francis, Tyler Churchill, Alex Matthews, Stephen Clarke and Jake Vincent worked hard up front with Callam Horn and Ben Long looking steady at the back. Will Bales was exceptional in the Brandon goal. In the last 15 minutes Brandon began to pile on the pressure but the Indies' defence was superb. Jake Vincent was unlucky not to score when his venomous shot was just tipped over for a corner. Stephen Clarke just missed when his shot glanced the crossbar from five yards. The game ended with Brandon's first competitive league/cup loss in over two and a-half years. Final score: Thetford Indies U9A 1, Brandon Lads U9 0. Man-of-the-match: Callam Horn.

BRANDON LADS U9 welcomed Lakenheath U9. Callam Horn and Jake Vincent were both denied by excellent saves and Alex Matthews went just wide. Stephen Clarke was looking good on the right wing and consistently delivered good balls across the Lakenheath box. Jake Vincent also hit the post before shooting again only for Alex Matthews to follow up with an excellent tap-in for 1-0. Jake added one with a speculative shot from 40 yards which Alex Matthews stepped over to fool the excellent Lakenheath keeper for 2-0. Will Bales made a good save before Jake Vincent and Callam Horn both hit the woodwork. Stephen Clarke finished off a Jake Vincent shot, Jake Vincent slotted one past the Lakenheath keeper, Callam Horn scored an excellent individual goal from a Stephen Clarke through ball and Alex Matthews added one to make it 6-0 at half-time. Jake Vincent scored an outstanding volley from a flighted Stephen Clarke corner. Tyler Churchill came on for Alex Matthews and worked hard on the left. Jake added another but Lakenheath were rewarded with a good goal for 8-1. Jake Vincent added another before Lakenheath scored their second. Alex Matthews made it 10-2 for Brandon before Jake Vincent finished the match off with a good strike from a Callam Horn throw in 11-2 (Jake Vincent 6, Alex Matthews 3, Callam Horn, Stephen Clarke). Man-of-the-match: Alex Matthews.

BRANDON U13 came up against Stowmarket Town Youth U13B for the second time in a week and after losing the first encounter Brandon looked to get there revenge. The first half was a well fought battle with Brandon looking strong at the back and playing some good football in midfield but failing to threaten the Stow goal. The second half saw the impressive Lewis Stevenson move into midfield and linking well with Isaac Allen who was Brandon's biggest threat in attack, however Brandon's first goal came after a great ball from Kane Philpot, split the Stow defence and it was Danny Baker who out smarted the keeper to take the lead. The second was soon to follow for a great corner from Allen which was met with a fantastic header from Muzza Burt. Brandon were now in complete control of the game and got there third after good work from Ryan Hewitt who latched on to a loose ball, his first shot rebounded off the keeper straight back at him for a simple tap-in. This was another solid performance with every player playing his part. Man-of-the-match: Jordan Scott, superb defending.

THETFORD BULLDOGS U9 hosted Indies B and warmed up for the Mundford match with a sharp and confident 10-1 win. Daniel's throw-in was turned in by Rhys at the front post. Lewis burst down the wing and fired a cross in to force an own goal. Bulldogs got a third when Rhys threaded the ball for Daniel to find the top corner. Luke fizzed in a free-kick which forced a penalty, which Lewis converted. Bulldogs got a fifth as Pedro beat two players before playing Lewis in, who brilliantly squared to Rhys for a tap-in. A sharp move saw Quinn cross for Jayden to sweep home. The seventh was a great individual goal, as Luke picked the ball up out wide and the giant defender shrugged off three players before smashing his shot into the bottom corner. Rhys, Lewis and John were combined well to create Bulldogs' eighth, scored by Lewis, followed quickly by No 9 when John scored directly from a corner. In the last quarter, Josh scored Bulldogs' 10th, before Indies scored a late consolation goal. MoM: Rhys.

Most Read

THETFORD BULLDOGS U9 travelled to Mundford where two of the league's most gifted sides drew 3-3. John made a superb stop to deny Mundford. Pedro and Luke had to be at their best to stop Mundford's dangerous attack. Mundford took the lead but Bulldogs got the equaliser when Luke's corner was turned into his own net by a defender. John had to make another brave stop then Rhys shot inches wide. Lewis, after beating two defenders, shot inches wide. Mundford re-took the lead but Bulldogs levelled again when Daniel won a corner and Luke added to his list of special goals as he whipped the corner straight into the net. Rhys, slotted home his 45th of the season with a classy finish to give Bulldogs the lead. t Pedro, Luke and Jack were excellent at the back and John was solid in the goal. Lewis' pace took him through, and as he rounded the keeper he was clipped, but instead of falling, he tried to play on, but his finish was blocked. Mundford then set up a counter-attack and although Pedro blocked, Mundford scored from the rebound. The teams now finish third and fourth. Both teams and everyone concerned with them should be proud of this great match. Hopefully now Bulldogs can go and win the Plate Cup. MoM: Lewis.

THETFORD BULLDOGS U12 hosted Wymondham in the Plate Cup and won 7-1. Bulldogs took the lead through Aiggos and doubled their lead when Daniel scored. The third came when George whipped in a good cross for Milo to tap in, before Aiggos made it 4-0. In the second half Wymondham made it 4-1 from a very good free-kick, but Bulldogs instantly replied when Daniel made it 5-1. Milo threaded a good ball through to Daniel for 6-1, before Aiggos completed his hat-trick, to make the final score 7-1. MoM: George Serrano.

HARLING COLTS U12 finished a fantastic season with another win, 9-0 against Watton U12, making it 19 out of 20, with only one drawn game, a really special achievement. Man-of-the-match Rorie Knights opened the scoring with Isaac Watkinson adding two more before half-time with passes from Rob Turner and Knights. Jack Rodwell set up Turner for the fourth, Sam Smith got the fifth from Turner's through ball, and Watkinson set up Knights for the sixth. Knights pulled the ball back for Callum Olpin to get the seventh, Watkinson headed in the eighth from a Dan Mobbs corner for his hat-trick and then added one more from another Turner pass to end the game.

LAKENHEATH LEOPARDS U12 played Dereham Blue U12 in a quarter-final game of the South Norfolk Trophy. Lakenheath started well with three chances in the first two minutes from Ben Nolan, Sam Buckley and Jamie Allsop. However, they conceded a goal from Dereham's first break. After the Dereham keeper saved a shot from Sam Buckley, Nico Hickford scored from close range. From them then on it was Lakenheath all the way. Quick goals from Ben Nolan, Jamie Allsop and Sam Buckley meant the first half ended 4-1 to the home team. The second half started with Dereham scoring a surprise goal. Jamie Allsop knocked in his second of the game. Then after some good work in midfield Sam Buckley broke free, went around the keeper and coolly slotted in his second. The final goal came from the break when Kieron Danbrowsky crossed a lovely ball for Ben Nolan to score his second. Sam Buckley was denied a hat-trick by offside in the final minute. Man-of-the-match was Kieron Danbrowsky and manager's man-of-the-match was Nico Hickford. Final score: Lakenheath Leopards U12 7, Dereham Blue U12 2.

LAKENHEATH LEOPARDS U12 played Litcham U12, the top-of-the-league team, who knew a win would clinch the league title. Lakenheath started well, passed the ball around and kept Litcham at bay. Lakenheath had several chances but the Litcham defence held firm. Kieron Danbrowsky played as the lone forward and kept the Litcham defence on their toes. Just before half-time Litcham made a break and scored their first goal. The second half was a gripping as the first with Lakenheath pushing forward all the time. They were rewarded when Jamie Allsop crossed and Kieron Danbrowsky scored the equaliser. It was a tight game. However, 10 minutes before the end Lakenheath tired as they had only one sub and Litcham scored two quick goals to end the match 3-1. Man-of-the-match was Miles Stiddard and manager's man-of-the-match was the whole team for their enormous effort.

THETFORD TOWN U12 who travelled to Scole, were stretched in the last 15 minutes but won 4-3. Town took control early on with some great ball work from Jack, Taylor getting the ball across to Daniel who turned the Scole players to cross the ball in for Max to finish. The second came from a great ball from Jake to Max who controlled and finished. Scole scored from a tap-in. Nathan's great ball set up Daniel for a deserved finish. The second half was a different story with Scole making the defence of Dominik, Andrew, Elliot and man-of-the-match Luke Ward earn their points, On the counter, Max shrugged off the defence to slot past the keeper. Scole soon replied with an easy tap-in, and with Town under a lot of pressure Scole scored another. Thetford held on to the end, not an easy game but three points that matter. Scole man-of-the-match: Max Melanson. Thetford Town U12 v Litcham U12 in the league cup final at Watton on Friday, April 30 (kick-off 7.30pm). All support would be welcomed.

WATTON U12, soon to be U13 next season, need three to four new players to freshen their squad up. They are a very good footballing team but need to strengthen up in a few positions. Watton U12 are going to finish mid-table hopefully this season and are three to four players away from a top-of-the-table team .They have great training facilities all year round and play in the Norwich B League but are a few players away from an A league team. If you are interested, contact Paul Jones on 01953 886663.

THETFORD BULLDOGS require managers for the U9 (current School Year Three) and U12 (current School Year Six). These age groups also need players for next season. Any players are welcome and if you are interested in managing or playing for one of these teams please ring Rob Burgess on 01953 885535. Players are welcome for all ages from U6 to U15 teams. If you are interested in playing all ages train between 10.30am and 12 noon on Saturdays at Thetford Sports Centre or look on website for manager contacts. The U6 (School Year Reception and Year One) train at 9.30 to 10.30am at Thetford Sports Centre on a Saturday. If you are interested in playing at this age please ring 01842 763884.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9A inflicted Brandon U9's first league defeat of the season following a solid performance against them across all areas of the pitch. Defensively superb, Indies kept a clean sheet throughout the game thanks to the defensive team of Brandon Dawson and Konnor Dixon with Dixon's hard work winning him man-of-the-match honours. Keeper Jamie Humphrey also earned huge praise for a fingertip save that guaranteed the win for Indies following some sustained pressure during the final quarter of the game from Brandon. Indies started the quicker out of the blocks and threatened the Brandon goal several times, with Kehan Whitby particularly unfortunate on a number of occasions not to have given Indies an even earlier lead. Whitby's efforts were finally rewarded with a well taken goal late on in the first quarter. That was to be the only goal of the game as Indies continued to frustrate Brandon's forwards who were limited to a handful of chances all game as well as creating their own opportunities throughout the game with both Alfie Cooper and Connor Noble both coming close to extending the lead on several occasions. It was some outstanding saves from the Brandon keeper in the final minutes of the game that prevented Cooper adding to his own tally for the season. Final score: Indies 1, Brandon 0 and took Indies to second in the SNYFL U9 table.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9A got off to a slow start against a determined Mulbarton side who kept the Indies strikers at bay for most of the first half. Indies plugged away though and the combination of Aiden Try, Alfie Cooper and Kehan Whitby eventually broke the deadlock late on in the first half with Whitby's first goal of the game which was neatly headed into goal from a Cooper cross. It was Cooper himself who then added a further two goals for Indies in a matter of seconds as the Mulbarton defence crumbled, Aiden Try extended the lead early in the second half with two goals nicely created by Whitby and it was Try who then returned the favour towards the end of the match as he sent a neat ball through to Whitby to finish off Indies' six goal tally. Mulbarton had got their own goal on the scoreboard just prior to Whitby's goal to make the score 6-1 to Indies. Man-of-the-match: Connor Noble. In a second game of the day brought about by the many postponements from the winter, Indies struggled to dominate Mulbarton in the same way they had in the first game. Aiden Try set Indies on their way early in the first half with a back heeled goal as the ball fell to his feet following the keeper's save from a Cooper shot. Mulbarton pegged Indies back later in the half with a superbly taken strike. The response from Indies was immediate however as Copper netted less than 60 seconds after the Mulbarton equaliser to retake the lead. The remainder of the game was quiet and spoilt by some unexpected rain which made the pitch fairly slippery underfoot. With no further goals in the second half, the game remained 2-1 to Indies who completed a fine hat-trick of wins this weekend. Man-of-the-match: Brandon Dawson.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U13 hosted Moreton Hall in a league match which they won comfortably 11-1. From the first minute Indies dominated with Charlie Reed pouncing on a poor goal kick to set Indies on there way. Indies were soon two up when Jordan Foster put Shey Spears away who made no mistake in front of goal. Luke Chappell, Harry White and Tom Mason rounded off the half by all getting a goal each. The second half was much of the same with Moreton Hall trying to cope with Thetford's waves of attacks. Harry White soon completed his hat-trick using his pace to good effect to get another two goals and Tom Mason soon joined him in the hat-trick club, one of his goals being a bullet header. Indies did fall asleep for a minute and what looked to be a hopeful punt upfield bounced over Dom Barke's head and into Indies' net to give Moreton Hall a consolation goal. Charlie Reed got his second of the game and Alex Mcintosh completed the rout smashing the ball in from a tight angle. Man-of-the-match: Tom Mason.

MUNDFORD U9 played Thetford Bulldogs U9 in an extremely tight game with Mundford dominating the first quarter. Torrential rain didn't dampen the spirits of Harvey Shoreton though, allowing him to get a fantastic left-footer in after a pass from Jude Blakemore getting Mundford off to a good start. They kept the pressure on the whole quarter with Sam Rolph covering every inch of the pitch, a corner taken from the Bulldogs deflected off of a Mundford player making it 1-1 at the end of this quarter. The second quarter got off to a good start with Harvey slamming in a second goal. Once again this was a short lived lead as the bulldogs scored an excellent goal from a corner which seemed to take its own direction into the goal. The third quarter Angus Marsh came out to save a goal but the ball was slotted passed into the net taking the bulldogs into a 3-2 lead. Mundford kept their cool and with continued defence from James Gornall and Billy Morris supporting Fernando Alves, Harvey finally got the hat-trick he deserved after such a hard game. Final score: 3-3. Man-of-the-match: Sam Rolph.

WATTON UNDER 10 played their final league game of the season at home to second-placed Cringleford, and after being crowned champions the previous week, produced another tremendous performance to finish the season unbeaten, and extend their winning margin to nine points. Starting well, Watton took the game to Cringleford, but the long ball approach of the visitors meant Watton's defence needed to be alert at all times, but with Liam Owen playing the game of his life at the back, Cringleford rarely threatened early on. With Kade Bond and Asher Duncan also outstanding, this allowed Ben Walker and Ollie Kerrison the freedom to get forward, but despite this pressure, an entertaining first quarter finished goalless. The second quarter was much the same, as Watton continued to play their excellent passing game, but with the opposition keeper in good form, the breakthrough was proving hard to come by. Just before the break, however, after both Sam Bray and Matty Hendrie had gone close, the deadlock was finally broken. As Liam received the ball from Asher, he clipped a lovely ball forward, and Joshua Walker did the rest, as he stroked it past the advancing keeper. The half-time whistle went almost immediately after, and Watton went in leading 1-0. The second half saw Cameron Hudson pushed into midfield, and his fantastic energy was rewarded as he scored two excellent goals. Cringleford did rally, however, but Liam and Kade remained strong, and a smart save from Asher saw Watton leading 3-0 going into the final quarter. The final quarter really opened up, as both sides went looking for goals, but it was Joshua who bundled the ball home from close range to make it 4-0. A long range effort did briefly give Cringleford hope, but with Ollie and Ben now in full flow, this didn't last long, as James Beaumont got on the end of two great crosses to steer the ball home and make it six. With moments to go, Joshua then completed his hat-trick as he headed home another cross. Watton 7, Cringleford 1.

WEETING U10 took on fourth spot Wymondham in their final league game of the season and came away with a victory that keeps then in third place. The match was a credit to the league and was a very tight game with both teams playing some excellent football and would have been more goals but for some fine keeping on both teams. The opening goal came midway through the first quarter when J Peeling raced down the left wing and pulled the ball back for R Hunter to fire the home team in front.

The rest of the quarter and the second was very close with both teams making chances but was unable to find the net. The third quarter was the visitors best period and was rewarded with a fine goal when a flick on was meet with a deft touch to find the net. The fourth quarter saw the game open up more as both teams begun to tire and it was Weeting who once again took the lead when R Hunter low drive from the angle of the box went in off the post. With the match running out it seem the home team would take the three points but with a couple of minutes left they where unable to clear there box and the ball was volleyed hard a low for 2-2. Wymondham looked to have secure a point but Weeting had other ideas and went straight back on the attack and with shoots being blocked two or three times, the ball fell to R Hunter who lobbed it into the net for the winning goal and hisn hat-trick. Man-of-the-match was J Peach who got rave review from the Wymondham manager for not making one mistake.. PoD was N Ward who was just in front of R Hunter, hat-trick man.