Thetford/Watton Times notes

HARLING COLTS U12 beat their nearest rivals in the league Rocklands 3-0 with a tremendous all round display. Isaac Watkinson gave Harling a dream start with a superb finish in the third minute from Rob Turner's through ball.

HARLING COLTS U12 beat their nearest rivals in the league Rocklands 3-0 with a tremendous all round display. Isaac Watkinson gave Harling a dream start with a superb finish in the third minute from Rob Turner's through ball. The score remained the same, Harling's back four of Jack, Traff, Dan C and Rory Olpin putting in a great performance, until eight minutes from the end when Daniel Mobb's cross was punched onto the bar by the Rocklands keeper and Sam Smith slotted home the rebound. Jamie Woodcock made a super save before the win was sealed when Callum Olpin collected Watkinson's cross, side-stepped a defender and curled the ball home.

BRANDON Lasses U12 had to work hard against Stowupland Falcons for this 2-0 victory to see them reach the SGFL KO Cup final. The Lasses played their usual good passing football but the home side defended deep, limiting them to long-range shots and with their keeper in top form they could not the break through. Stow had an early break and could have taken the lead but were unlucky to see the ball come off a post. It seemed a matter of time before Brandon would take the advantage but, as the game went on, the Lasses started to become more frustrated. Stow always looked to catch the Lasses on the break and had their chances, but Katie Meeson came off her line well to keep a clean sheet. With four minutes remaining Brandon finally made their break through as Ellesse Masters fired home from inside the box followed by Brianna Jamgochiam to seal a hard-fought victory. Well done girls, some lovely one-touch football and a cup final to look forward to.

BRANDON LASSES U11 travelled to second-place Sprowston and with a blustery wind the game came alive immediately with Sprowston having the first effort. Brandon were up for this challenge with Ruby Robertson and Suzy Duggan in defence from the beginning letting Sprowston know who was in charge. In the third minute some lovely passing down the left between Georgia Dargan and Millie Bales led to Millie crossing the ball in to Leah Zawiasa who rifled home to make it 1-0 to the Lasses. Brandon kept pushing with Jessie Whybrow making good runs and passes down the right, but Brandon did ride their luck a bit, restricting Sprowston to several good long-range efforts with Katie Amacker making several good saves. On 10 minutes Leah found Millie and her first-time shot was blocked on the line. Five minutes later Millie had a good shot tipped round the post by the Sprowston keeper. Sprowston had a couple of attacks where they beat the Brandon defence, but Katie was there to snuff them out.

Brandon made two substitutions for the second half with Abbie Craigen and Savannah Hatch coming on. Sprowston came out strong and Katie had to make a couple of fine saves, then in the fifth minute with Brandon failing to clear a ball out of defence, Sprowston rifled a ball in that Katie had no chance to reach. With Brandon still asleep, Sprowston scored again, making it 2-1. Brandon woke up again and started playing again, with Abbie battling in midfield and Savannah going close. This was Brandon getting back to how they can play. With an injury to Savannah and a knock to Abbie, Brandon were back to their starting line-up and were getting closer to equalizing, Jessie, Leah and Millie working well together. With five minutes left to go a long Sprowston throw led to an unfortunate mix-up in the Brandon box and led to Sprowston scoring their third. Brandon carried on pushing forward and were unlucky not to get a second. This was a hard-fought game against a top team and Brandon were unlucky not to get anything out of it. Sprowston 3, Brandon 1. PoM: Katie Amacker.

BRANDON LADS U9 beat Swaffham 5-1. Swaffham visited Brandon on an overcast Saturday morning for a rearranged league fixture. The game was evenly matched initially with Swaffham demonstrating they are a good passing side. The Swaffham keeper was immediately in action, keeping out two chances from Cameron Francis and Callam Horn with excellent saves. Brandon opened the scoring from a Jake Vincent individual run to make the score 1-0. Ben Long was unlucky when his 25-yard shot went just over the bar but Dawson Davidson had an excellent shot saved only for Jake Vincent to pounce on the rebound and knock the ball in for 2-0. In the second 15 minutes Alex Matthews came on for Dawson Davidson and Stephen Clarke replaced Cameron Francis. Alex looked sharp on the left and Stephen continued to cause problems for Swaffham going down the right. Callam Horn made it 3-0 with a sensational strike from 30 yards that was unstoppable. Will Bales, in the Brandon goal, made a couple of good interceptions and catches, but back came Swaffham with a nicely worked passing goal to give them hope of turning the game around at 3-1. In the third 15 minutes Swaffham played some excellent passing football and were causing the jaded Brandon issues in defence. Callam Horn made a last-ditch tackle to deny Swaffham another goal and luckily the ball bounced clear. Brandon were looking tired and not playing particularly well, but kept fighting hard and things improved towards the end of the third period, but the score remained 3-1. Brandon picked things up in the last quarter and started to pile the pressure on Swaffham once again. Dawson Davidson (back on for Alex Matthews) played a great ball through for Jake Vincent to run onto and slot it home past the excellent Swaffham keeper. Brandon then scored the goal of the game when they started to realise passing is the way to create chances and Jake Vincent slotted the ball across the goal for Alex Matthews to curl it with his right foot into the roof of the Swaffham net for 5-1. Well done, boys, another good win - keep it up. MoM: Callam Horn.

BRANDON LADS U9 beat Dereham Wanderers Yellow 9-2. Another excellent result for Brandon against an ever- improving Dereham team. Early on, Will Bales in the Brandon goal made an excellent save to keep things even. But Brandon were awarded a corner shortly afterwards which Ben Long crossed beautifully for Jake Vincent to scramble over the line. Stephen Clarke looked lively on the right side and consistently beat his marker and made some excellent crosses. Stephen made it 2-0 with an excellent strike and he was playing the best game of his season so far. Another excellent move saw Alex Matthews play a superb ball all the way across from the left through the Dereham penalty area for Stephen Clarke to latch onto and dispatch for Brandon's third goal in 10 minutes. Jake Vincent tapped in another himself from a Stephen Clarke cross from the right to make it 4-0 with 15 minutes gone.

Most Read

In the second quarter Dereham played some lovely passing football and were only denied by Will Bales making some excellent interceptions. Jake Vincent added another to his tally from another excellent Ben Long corner- 5-0 at

half-time. In the third quarter Brandon exerted some pressure on Dereham, but they never gave up and still made some excellent passing moves. Callam Horn (captain) made some excellent cross-field passes to create numerous chances for the Brandon strikers. One of which was played to Alex Matthews on the left who beautifully crossed the ball for Jake Vincent to dispatch. Ben Long was then really unlucky when he hit the bar from 30 yards, but the ball dropped to Alex Matthews for a tap-in (7-0). Callam Horn was also unlucky, but the Dereham keeper was having an outstanding game and managed to make the save. In the last 15 minutes Brandon quickly added another to their total when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box. Alex Matthews played the ball back to Callam Horn who subsequently crossed it for Jake Vincent to poke home. Back came Dereham with a great passing goal and well deserved to make it 8-1. Alex Matthews scored himself to make it 9-1 before Dereham added another when Brandon were caught napping in defence. Final score: Dereham Yellow 2, Brandon Lads 9. A good game played in excellent spirit by both teams.

MoM: Alex Matthews.

BULLDOGS U9 hosted Wymondham in a superb match. It was end to end from the start, but Wymondham opened the scoring as their captain tapped in a rebound after hitting a post. Bulldogs got the perfect response - Luke threaded a great ball through and Rhys looked like he would score, but as the keeper saved Joseph followed in to sweep home a perfect response for Bulldogs. The match was end to end with Pedro and Luke dominating at the back and Joseph, Daniel and Rhys trying to find space up front but the quarter ended level at 1-1. In the next quarter Bulldogs introduced Lewis and Jack to try and inject some pace into the game. It was Lewis, with a moment's magic, who nutmegged the defender before weaving past two only to be denied by the keeper. John was then forced to make a save from distance before Luke's long-range free-kick went close. Wymondham then were allowed too much time and their striker crashed a shot against the bar. The next quarter carried on in a tight fashion with both teams trying to make things happen and it was Wymondham who retook the lead when a corner was half cleared only for a shot to be rifled low into the net for 2-1. Luke then powered a shot from the halfway line into the keeper's hands. John was then forced to make an excellent save as Wymondham went for the killer. In the last quarter Wymondham had a real chance, but John made a superb double save, injuring himself in the process meaning Luke would have to go in goal. But Bulldogs didn't drop and Pedro won the ball on the halfway line before crashing a shot against the bar, the rebound dropping perfectly for Lewis to bundle in the equaliser. Bulldogs weren't done and the sensational Pedro won another ball before winning a throw-in which Daniel launched in for Lewis to volley in an immaculate goal. Wymondham didn't give up and Luke was forced into making a brilliant save with his feet in the last few minutes Jack and Rhys managed to see it out in the corners and Bulldogs held on for a great win. Bulldogs were exceptional, right from back to front, and now will look to seal third in the last games of the season. MoM: John.

BULLDOGS U12 hosted Dereham Stripes. Dereham started well and forced Joseph to make a save before Aiggos came close for Bulldogs but the keeper saved well. After a good moved Andre looped in a shot to open the scoring. Then Bulldogs found their flow, but the Dereham keeper was in inspired form. Straight from the second-half kick-off Daniel got the ball and after a great run doubled the lead. The Bulldogs defence was looking solid and Daniel tripled the lead after a free-flowing counter. MoM: Andre Marco.

THETFORD INDEPENDENTS U9B played away at Dereham Wanderers Yellow. The match started with intense effort and good team work. The teams seemed evenly matched with scrambles at both ends of the pitch. A close shot by Richardson was the high point of this quarter, although a minor mistake allowed Dereham to score. The next quarter saw more good work, but frustratingly the chances and minor mistakes being made by Dereham weren't being converted into goals. In this quarter, the team were inspired by the work put in by McGill and Brown and an excellent header towards goal by Blake, but it was saved. Another minor mistake allowed Dereham to score their second goal. The third quarter saw Fowles shine, demonstrating good headers to the rest of the team. Excellent shots by Fowles and Richardson still failed to make goals. Enthusiasm and energy remained into the final quarter making for a very exciting match. Dereham scored their third and final goal, but Richardson set up Blake to score in the closing seconds of the match finishing on a high. A very good game misrepresented by the score. Final score Dereham 3, Indies 1. MoM: Richardson

Thetford Independents U9B hosted Harling where a firm home pitch and beautiful weather got the Indies off to a flying start. A good corner from Richardson was chased into the box by the team with Wilkinson confidently slotting the ball in for the first goal. This exciting game was made more so by the slight lack of concentration by both teams, leading to minor mistakes and some very close shaves. Without Heathershaw's excellent work in goal, the Indies would have been several goals down by the end of the quarter. The second quarter saw McGill and Wilkinson injured after hard work, but they were cheered up by an excellent goal by Fowles. Towards the end of the quarter, Harling's comeback began, despite the excellent efforts of Brown and Blake in midfield. In the third quarter, the Indies lost their way a little, despite good work by Brown and Fowles, allowing Harling to take the lead, finishing 3-2. Galvanised by the prospect of losing the match, Indies replied from the start of the fourth quarter. With most of the team back in conventional positions, Bartram-Gorzelak, Wilkinson and Heathershaw were solid at the back allowing some fireworks at the front. Richardson made an early run with fine control beating several challenges and finished with an excellent goal within the first minute. Richardson continued to worry Harling, using several excellent feeds from Fowles. The relentless pressure on the Harling goal resulted in a handball and a penalty against Harling. Richardson converted this to a goal in expert fashion. The match finished with a great feed from McGill to Blake who set up Fowles for the final excellent goal. Final score Indies 6, Harling 3. MoM: Richardson.

LAKENHEATH LEOPARDS U12 went into this game on a hot sunny day, the first for the year. Lakenheath started well and soon had the Dereham defence on the ropes with crisp passing and good running off the ball. However, the Dereham defence held strong and continued to thwart Lakenheath in the first half. It reminded the supporters of the previous game that Lakenheath played against them. Midway through the first half Danny Gibson pounced on a ball in the Dereham box, he went around one player and even though he was on the goal line, he sneaked the ball past the post and goalkeeper to make it 1-0. The first half continued with both teams even and the score remained at 1-0. The second half started at a higher tempo with Sam Buckley scoring within a few minutes of the restart to widen the gap. Soon after Sam Buckley jinked around the defence and passed the ball into the box for Kieron Danbrowsky to slot the ball in from close range. It looked like Lakenheath were going to run riot, but they let their guard done and Dereham pulled two back, one from a short corner that Lakenheath missed. Lakenheath started to raise the tempo again and soon Sam Buckley was through on goal to claim his second of the game. Dereham continued to press Lakenheath, but Miles Stiddard in defence seemed to stop every attack. Connor Knight hit a post from close range and it seemed the next goal would never come. Sam Buckley, though, was on a mission and soon grabbed his third of the game to clinch his first hat-trick of the season and the match ball. Kieron Danbrowsky rounded off the game with his second and the Leopards wrapped up a fine game. MoM: Miles Stiddard and Jack Self.

MUNDFORD U11 hosted Harling and moved a step closer to the league title despite a laboured performance. Ryan Harvey made the difference, particularly in the first half as he brought the game to life with a quickfire hat-trick. Todd Hutcherson rose majestically to head home George Hammond's free-kick and just before half-time Harvey outpaced the Harling defence and laid the ball across for Harry Walker to finish. The score-

line flattered Mundford and Harling deservedly pulled a goal back just after the break and had another great chance soon after, but Ben Wells produced an outstanding save low to his left. This saw the home side get on top and Harvey raced through to score. Jack Pinner was on hand to finish off a scramble before John Pearce completed the scoring with a neat finish. Final score Mundford 8, Harling 1. MoM: Ryan Harvey.

MUNDFORD U14 played Woottons away in the league and came away comfortable 6-0 winners. Mundford had control of the game from the start, but for a while were unable to find the back of the net. Sam Bunten eventually opened the scoring then turned provider for Casey Underwood who headed in Mundford's second goal. They continued to pressure and some good individual play from Mason Thorogood enabled Underwood to score again, half-time score 3-0. In the second half Mundford continued their attack, with Underwood completing his hat-trick. Bunten completed the scoring and his own hat-trick with two further goals. Excellent defending from Daniel Jackson and Aiden Bond ensured a clean sheet for Mundford. Good work

in midfield from Robbie Smith and Adam Brown.

THETFORD TOWN U12 beat Morley 8-3. Thetford entertained Morley in the league and came away with a hard-fought victory. Town started brightly and soon found themselves a goal up after a great strike from Max. Domonik quickly added a second, scoring from close range after Morley failed to clear a corner. Morley were then reduced to 10 men with one of their midfielders sent off for the rest of the first half to calm down. Town took advantage of this and good work by Jack saw him tripped inside the area to earn a penalty which Max tucked away. Just before half-time Max completed his hat-trick for a 4-0 lead. The second half started with Town in complete control and soon scoring number five after a great passing move which started in their own area. Daniel quickly added two more before Town lost their shape and let Morley back into the game when they scored three quick goals to make it 7-3. Max then scored a great free-kick to make the final score 8-3. Well played, everyone. Town MoM: Andrew and Nathan, well done.

WEETING U10 beat Mulbarton 5-2. Weeting kept the pressure on the second-placed team with this fine win over a visiting team who never gave up. Mulbarton started the brighter, but on Weeting's first attack a fine move ended with R Hunter firing home from just outside the box. The second followed very quickly and again it was Hunter who found the net. Mulbarton reduced the lead from a corner which somehow managed to find the net and again from another corner pulled level when again the home defence could not clear the ball. This seemed to wake the home team up and they began to play their best football of the match and were rewarded when B Saberton latched onto a loose ball after the keeper could not hold a shot. Hunter then scored his hat-trick goal when he spotted the keeper out of position to give the home team their two-goal lead back. Mulbarton tried hard to reply, but C Sheppard was in excellent form in the home goal and it was Weeting who scored the final goal when J Peach fired home after B Saberton's shot was parried out to him. MoM: R Hunter. PoD: J Peach.

SWAFFHAM U15 beat hosts Watlington 3-2. After a fast end-to-end start, the game settled down with good moves from either side, ending short of goal until the seventh minute when Jordan Fitter hit a long ball from the midfield, finding Josh Colman who turned, beat two defenders and had his first shot blocked by the keeper but made sure when the rebound came back to him. Even play continued without a breakthrough, finishing the first half 1-0 to Swaffham. After five minutes Swaffham had a player shown a red card, after a blatant foul on the keeper. With a man advantage Watlington pushed forward, until Jack Hooton made a good run down the left crossed to Lewis Goacher who chipped the keeper from 15 yards out for the second. Dean Hadley made it three when Watlington failed to clear the ball, hitting goal from the edge of the area. After 30 minutes with 10 minutes left, Jack Curl soon hit back with a quick reply. With tension taking a hold, a foul gave Curl his second from a penalty with a minute left. Watlington pushed for an equaliser, Swaffham's defence held out.

WATTON U10 faced Wymondham in another crunch clash, and after a tremendous game between two excellent sides, came away with another vital three points. With both sides at full strength, both Watton and Wymondham started strongly, and chances were limited in the first quarter. Much of this was due to Kade Bond and Liam Owen, who were once again totally dominant in defence. Some great passing and movement, however saw Watton start to control the game, with James Beaumont, Ben Walker and Ollie Kerrison bossing the midfield. Joshua Walker was also linking the play well up front, but the quarter finished goalless. The second quarter saw Watton on top, as they started to create more chances, but Wymondham's more direct style was always a threat. Both Asher Duncan and the home keeper made a couple of smart saves, but the score remained 0-0 at half-time. The second half saw the introduction of Cameron Hudson up front, and as Watton started to dominate, it was he who opened the scoring with a close range finish. Shortly after this lead was doubled as a great corner from Matty Hendrie was headed in superbly by Cammy to claim his second. The final quarter saw the game start to open up, with both teams going close. Asher again had to be alert, but it was Watton who looked the more likely to increase their lead. Sam Bray, James and Joshua all went close before the end, but the game finished with a final score of Wymondham 0, Watton 2. An excellent display by whole squad.