Thettford/Watton Times notes

SWAFFHAM U15 entertained Thetford in the U15 Sub Cup semi-final and it ended 5-0. Swaffham's higher league opponents started strong, scoring twice in four minutes and a third only minutes later.

SWAFFHAM U15 entertained Thetford in the U15 Sub Cup semi-final and it ended 5-0. Swaffham's higher league opponents started strong, scoring twice in four minutes and a third only minutes later. After a goalmouth scramble an own goal made it four. A foul just before the break gave Thetford a fifth from the spot. Swaffham began to fight back with a flurry of moves down the left, with good long passes from George Kerridge which then broke down at Thetford's solid defence, likewise at the other end with Swaffham defending every attack. Jack Crisp palmed a goal-bound shot away for a corner.

WEETING U10 had a top-of-the-table clash with hosts Watton and lost 5-2. It was a very end-to-end game with both teams playing excellent football. The first quarter saw Weeting take the game to Watton and they went in front when N Ward fired home from outside box over the keeper. They were unlucky on a few occasions and the home side always looked dangerous on the counter and were rewarded with a well-taken goal. The second period saw the home team in complete control and it was not for MoM and PoD C Sheppard the 3-1 lead they took at half-time would have been more. The second half was more even. N Ward found J Peeling who controlled well to fire home from just inside the box then the same player rattled the bar. A quickly-taken goal-kick caught Weeting out and with two passes 4-2 to the hosts. The visitors went for it in the final quarter and were unlucky on two or three occaions with the home keeper pulling off two excellent saves and one scramble of the line, but Watton got the final goal from a free-kick.

WATTON U10 faced second-placed Weeting and strengthened their position at the top of the table as they came away with another well-deserved, but hard-fought victory. Watton started slowly, however, with Weeting looking the more threatening early on and took the lead, albeit a little fortuitously as a long-range effort flew in. Watton picked up the pace and James Beaumont burst through to grab an excellent equaliser. Asher Duncan made a smart save before Joshua Walker broke through only to be denied by a tremendous save. The second quarter saw the introduction of Sam Bray and Mattie Hendrie and both were outstanding with their positive running, and assured passing. And it was from a tremendous pass from Matty that Watton gained their half-time lead. Matty cut inside to find Joshua and with a defender at his back, Joshua turned to smash a stunning left-foot shot into the roof of the net. The second half again saw Watton pass the ball around superbly but they still had to be alert as Weeting caused problems. Asher made a couple of fine stops but with Liam Owen and Kade Bond again outstanding in defence, making some brilliant last-ditch tackles, Watton always looked the more likely to score next. This proved to be the case as Joshua quickly grabbed his second with another superb finish. Weeting pulled a goal back but the ever-improving Cameron Hudson spun round to score a tremendous goal. The final quarter saw Ollie Kerrison and Ben re-introduced out wide, and some surging runs maintained Watton's dominance. Ollie, James and Josh all went close before Ben beat his marker to fire in number five and seal a 5-2 win for Watton. A fantastic match, played by two very good sides.

HARLING COLTS U12 won comfortably 5-0 at Watton, taking the lead after just 23 seconds when a great cross from Isaac Watkinson was met first time by Luke Holland at the far post. Holland and Watkinson both hit a post before another great Watkinson cross was sliced into the net by a Watton defender. Harling added a third before the break when Rorie Knights played a one-two with Watkinson and chipped the keeper from outside the box. Keeper Jamie Woodcock made a number of good saves. MoM was Thomas Dunning, a tremendous game. Knights added another, pinching the ball away from the keeper before Sam Smith rounded off the scoring, meeting a Rob Turner corner at the far post.