Thorpe battle well to no avail
Thorpe United Ladies 0, CNK Basildon 1
Thorpe Ladies hosted Basildon in the Plate competition, played in cold and blustery conditions.
Basildon are flying high in their own league, as are Thorpe United themselves.
The match started as it was going to go on with Thorpe making all the chances but without a finishing edge.
But Basildon who took the lead, against the run of play, after a scramble in the goalmouth.
Meg had the first good chance after a strong tackle which the travelling keeper saved.
Hannah had her first save to make after 23 minutes, tipping a shot around the post
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries after Blackburn midfielder
- 4 'That's changed the narrative' - City fans react to news of investment talks
- 5 Webber maps out City transfer strategy
- 6 Norwich City and investment - it's not always been good
- 7 'The focus now has to be on where the club goes from here' - Robin Sainty
- 8 City fans react to controversial Webber interview
- 9 City more together than some think - Webber
- 10 We haven't given up on City - Fans rush to buy tickets for new season
Charlotte was next to worry the goalkeeper but her 20-yard strike went wide.
Thorpe had control of midfield and chances kept coming to equalize.
Lauren used the weather to try and trick the keeper but her shot from the half-way line was punched over the bar.
Thorpe’s next chance came when Alice took control and powered through the centre, giving Charlotte her first shot of the match.
Thorpe now controlled the match with Meg next to threaten the goal but her shot just crept wide.
With chances quickly coming along Bex troubled the keeper but her shot also went wide.
The second half carried on in the same fashion with Thorpe controlling the flow of the game but unable to take the chances they created.
Subs Lisa Marie and Megan both took to the field, then another good free-kick by Lauren nearly gave Megan her chance but the keeper anticipated well.
Another good set-piece led to Charlotte challenging the keeper but her header went over.
Basildon had their first chance of note in the second half but Hannah saved well from a close-range attempt.
Charlotte started taking the battle to Basildon herself with a couple of strikes that were either saved or cleared the bar.
With time running out opportunities from dead-ball situations seemed the best way to break Basildon down but stout defending blocked Thorpe’s route.
Hannah kept Thorpe in the game with a block at the attacker’s feet to stop Thorpe from going further behind.
Even as the match drew to a end Thorpe threw everything at Basildon, but to no avail and the game ended 1-0 to the visitors.
Thorpe team: Hannah Bray, Jemma Campbell, Kim Broome, Lauren Kett, Laura Wiseman. Rebecca Russell, Charlotte Groves, Alice Ford, Kerry Rose, Bex Lake, Meg Evans. Subs: Megan Champion and Lisa Marie Riches.