Wes Hoolahan among three changes to Canaries’ starting XI for Derby clash
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Head coach Daniel Farke has made three changes to his starting line-up for this afternoon’s Championship clash with Derby County at Carrow Road.
Josh Murphy keeps his place in the starting line-up but Marco Stiepermann reclaims the left-back berth from James Husband and Wes Hoolahan return in attacking midfield in place of Mario Vrancic, who both drop to the bench.
Cameron Jerome, as expected, comes back into the starting XI in place of Nelson Oliveira with the Portuguese forward on the bench after playing the full 120 minutes in Tuesday’s 2-1 defeat at Arsenal in the Carabao Cup.
The Rams make one change, bringing in former Canaries favourite Bradley Johnson in place of the injured Johnny Russell.
Farke reverts largely to the team which won 1-0 at Ipswich last Sunday, extending his team’s unbeaten league run to eight matches, but sticks with Murphy instead of Yanic Wildschut. The Dutchman is on the bench alongside Marley Watkins, who returns after a three-game ban.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich: Gunn; Pinto (C), Zimmermann, Klose, Stiepermann; Reed, Trybull; Hoolahan, Maddison, Murphy; Jerome. Subs: McGovern (GK), Husband, Vrancic, Oliveira, Watkins, Wildschut, Hanley
Derby: Carson; Wisdom, Keogh (C), Davies, Forsyth; Huddlestone, Ledley; Lawrence, Vydra, Johnson; Nugent. Subs: Mitchell (GK), Baird, Pearce, Thorne, Winnall, Weimann, Martin
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 5 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 6 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 7 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 8 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion
City team news
James Maddison is fit for duty after suffering a calf problem in the midweek League Cup exit at Arsenal. Daniel Farke reported no fresh injury concerns on Friday. Grant Hanley is available after being cup-tied and Marley Watkins is also back in the fold after a three-game suspension. Combative midfielder Alex Tettey (calf) is out. Steven Naismith (ankle) returned to training towards the end of the week but will not be considered this weekend. Alex Pritchard, Jamal Lewis, Louis Thompson and Matt Jarvis are all out longer term.
Derby team news
Johnny Russell is an injury doubt after suffering a groin strain in training. Curtis Davies is expected to overcome a shoulder problem.
Derby manager – Gary Rowett
Heavily touted with Norwich in the summer. Dismissed by Birmingham in December 2016 after guiding the Blues to a top 10 finish.
One to watch – Bradley Johnson
Talisman of Norwich City’s 2014/15 Championship promotion success. Alex Neil sanctioned his move to Derby County later that summer. Now back in favour under Gary Rowett. Scored four goals in 11 appearances this season and was on target to help beat Sheffield Wednesday last weekend.
Referee – Peter Bankes (Liverpool)
First appointment at Carrow Road this season. Shown 55 yellow and three red cards this campaign.