Three titles decided and penalty shootout drama

With the end of the season fast approaching, there was plenty of excitement in the weekend’s fixtures.

In the League Cup it was shoot outs galore. Holders Marlborough were knocked out on penalties after a 4-4 draw at a Bayer side who have produced some good performances in this season’s cup competitions. Wayne Nelson, Daniel Mace, Ross Joy and Kelvin White scored for Bayer who go into the semi finals along with Norman Wanderers who went through after beating league rivals Windmill Wanderers, also on penalties after the game finished 1-1. PL Rangers gave as good as they got as they drew 0-0 after extra time with Acle Rangers, but the Premier Division side went through after the penalty shoot out. AFC Wanderers had a 4-1 (Danny Pennall, Aaron Kay, Tim Henry and Ben Abrahams) win over a spirited Rose Tavern

In the Premier Division, Hellesdon’s 4-3 defeat at Norwich Busmen means that barring a miracle they will be relegated. David Tayler and Mathew Adcock both grabbed a brace for Busmen and in the division’s other game Sprowston Rovers came back from Aylsham Sunday with a 5-1 victory.

With their main rivals facing each other in the cup, Sprowston Sunday took the chance to move to the top of 1A by winning 4-1 at Vale Longo. After their recent great form, it was a bit of a surprise that Dussindale Rovers completed their season with a 9-1 thumping at Horsford United Sunday, but the result was a major boost for the home side’s survival chances. Also at the foot of the table, Hockering went down 3-2 at home to North Walsham for whom Dan Tindall, Perry Payne and Ross Ellis scored, and despite a brace from Pat Cass, DCS Rapid suffered a 5-3 home defeat to Castlegate FC. Aslacton had a 4-1 (Shaun Moss 2, Billy Lake, Ben Ling) victory over already relegated Eaton FC.

Congratulations to Prince of Denmark who clinched the 1B title with a 5-3 victory at challengers Earlham United. Goals by Ben Morgan, Sonny Atherton, Chris Holmes and Ben Lewis fired the visitors into a four goal half-time lead. Lewis added his second to make it five before a late rally from the home side brought goals for Kevin Tate, Ashley Davies and Damon Brown. Darren Guymer played well for a Denmark side that under the guidance of Steve Simpson have turned themselves around in style. This result coupled with St Faiths single goal (Jody Peacher) win at Unicorns, means that the final games of the season will decide if it’s St Faiths or Earlham that reaches the play off final. Heartsease were held to a 1-1 draw by Moles Rest, whilst Sprowston Wanderers continued good late form with a 3-1 win at Acle Rangers Reserves.

You may also want to watch:

Mad Moose stayed three points clear at the top of 2A after a 2-0 (Lee Wright, Ben Burgess) home win over Deopham. Second placed Norman Wanderers Res were 5-3 winners over Constable Crusaders, but third placed Riverside Rovers were left stunned after a 4-2 home defeat by Dancing Farmers. Aiden Boast, Daniel King (2) and Nick Aston all scored for Farmers. The Cottage were 3-0 winners at Acle Wanderers.

Congratulations go to Bell Inn who clinched the 2B title with a 3-0 (Dale Simpson, Simon Freemantle, Josh Farrow) win at second placed Poringland Wanderers. The Barnham Broom based side now have their County Cup final to look forward to as they try to complete the “Double”. Ribs Rovers 3-0 win at Salhouse Rovers, means that unless they lose their last game by 12 or more goals Poringland will finish as runners up. Briston Wanderers had a 2-1 win at Unicorns Reserves, whilst Sloughbottom Revolution finished their season with a 4-1 home defeat to SDC United. Dan Davies’s goal for the home side saw him finish as the club’s top scorer.

Most Read

Clash of the top two in Division 3A, saw Bungay Town win 2-1 at Brooke to open up a three point gap at the top, whilst Sporting Longdale kept their faint hopes of automatic promotion alive with a 2-1 win at Norman Wanderers A. The season for Newsman Celtic came to a close with a 5-0 victory at home to Phoenix Felthorpe. The third congratulations of the day go to Schoolhouse.

Their 10-0 home win over Hainford Howitzers in 3B bagged them their second title in a row since joining the league. Jordan Rocastle scored eight of the 17 Angel Gardens scored against Costessey Sports, a result that leaves automatic promotion in their own hands in their final game. Hethersett Athletic were 2-1 winners over Salhouse Rovers Reserves, whilst Windmill Elite scored five without reply at home to Taverham United.

In 4A, Bungay Town Reserves made it a club double over Brooke as they beat their counterparts, Brooke Reserves 6-1, whilst Micawbers Tavern won by the odd goal of seven at Hockering Reserves.

In 4B, the top two faced each other with champions Freemasons overcoming Hethersett Reserves 4-3.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus