Canaries star earns international call-up
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City goalkeeper Tim Krul has been called up to the Netherlands squad.
The 32-year-old is part of the preliminary 32-man squad for the Nations League games against Poland and Italy.
Krul was one of the few stars of City’s Premier League campaign last season, his performances earning him the Player of the Season award.
Canaries head coach Daniel Farke spoke to Dutch boss Ronald Koeman – who now appears to be close to agreeing to take over as manager of Barcelona – earlier this year and recommended his number one for an international recall.
“I don’t want to give advice to Ronald,” said Farke at the time. “He is an experienced coach. I did meet him. He knows what to do but when you watch such a game and how big an impact Tim has then without a doubt you have to say he is one of the best keepers in this league this season.
Krul – who joined City on a free transfer from Brighton two years ago - suffered a serious knee injury during a Euro 2016 qualifier. He was called up by the Dutch in March for games against the US and Spain, which were cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
You may also want to watch:
The Netherlands play Poland on Friday, September 4 and three days later take on Italy – both matches in Amsterdam. City have an EFL Cup tie away to Luton on September 5 with their Championship campaign due to start on the weekend of Saturday September 12.
Holland squad: Nathan Ake (Manchester City), Ryan Babel (Galatasaray), Donny van de Beek (Ajax), Steven Bergwijn (Tottenham), Marco Bizot (AZ), Myron Boadu (AZ), Daley Blind (Ajax), Jasper Cillessen (Valencia), Memphis Depay (Olympique Lyon), Leroy Fer (Feyenoord), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool), Denzel Dumfries (PSV), Hans Hateboer (Atalanta Bergamo), Mohamed Ihattaren (PSV), Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona), Luuk de Jong (Seville), Teun Koopmeiners (AZ), Quincy Promes (Ajax), Davy Pröpper (Brighton), Marten de Roon (Atalanta Bergamo), Perr Schuurs (Ajax), Calvin Stengs (AZ), Kevin Strootman (Olympique Marseille), Kenny Tete (Olympique Lyon), Tim Krul (Norwich City), Joël Veltman (Brighton), Tonny Vilhena (Krasnodar), Stefan de Vrij (Internazionale), Wout Weghorst (VfL Wolfsburg), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool), Owen Wijndal (AZ), Jeroen Zoet (PSV).
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 5 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 6 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion