Tom Trybull and Harry Toffolo get game time as Norwich City U23s lose Brighton opener
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Tom Trybull made his first appearance in a yellow shirt – but Michee Efete’s spectacular goal could not prevent Norwich City Under-23s slipping to an opening defeat.
Matt Gill’s young Canaries lost out 2-1 to Brighton and Hove Albion at Colney on Monday afternoon in their opening Premier League 2 Division Two clash of the campaign, with a 2-1 defeat at home to Brighton and Hove Albion.
But there was good news for first team head coach Daniel Farke, as summer signing Tom Trybull completed 90 minutes on his first public outing since joining the club.
Left-back Harry Toffolo also played the first half on his return from pre-season injury, while there were 90-minute outings for senior goalkeeper Michael McGovern and defender Ben Godfrey, fresh from his new four-year deal.
Summer striker arrival Tristan Abrahams also started and finished the game. The striker was immediately loaned back to National League Leyton Orient for the season following his move, but is available for City’s development side as part of the deal.
You may also want to watch:
Much like the first team on Sunday, City dominated possession in the opening stages – and took the lead on 25 minutes in spectacular fashion as Glenn Middleton’s inswinging corner was acrobatically hooked past Rob Sanchez by centre-back Efete.
Brighton almost equalised just moments later through Aaron Connolly, who flicked the ball up and volleyed a looping effort narrowly over the bar.
- 1 Canaries not pursuing Spurs defender; Billing latest
- 2 City release 2021/22 squad numbers
- 3 Norwich City issue face masks advice to fans
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 5 City boss raises the bar ahead of Carrow Road return
- 6 Canaries visit a matter of pride for Gills boss
- 7 City recruitment chief to join Boro
- 8 Balance of risk and reward for Norwich legend at Swansea
- 9 Get ready for 'new, improved' VAR, City fans
- 10 Canaries' Q&A - with Paddy Davitt and Dave Freezer
City finished the half strongly with Todd Cantwell testing Sanchez from long range and were worth their advantage come the break.
However, the Seagulls’ second-half response was immediate as a deep cross found Henrik Bjordal at the back post, and he squared for Des Hutchinson to tap into an empty net.
Cantwell dragged his shot wide after a neat cutback by sub Max Aarons on the hour, and 10 minutes later the visitors sealed victory thanks to James Tilley’s wonderful free-kick from 25 yards.
City’s development side return to action swiftly, with a long trek to Middlesbrough on Friday.
• City: McGovern; Godfrey, Odusina, Efete, Toffolo (Aarons, 46); Trybull, Phillips; Aransibia (Higgs, 70), Cantwell, Middleton, Abrahams. Unused subs: Hallett, Wallis, Mututala-Sambu. Goal: Efete. Bookings: Odusina, Cantwell, Trybull, Aarons, Phillips.
• Brighton: Sanchez, Collar, Cox, Molumby, Kerr, Hall, Bjordal, Hutchinson, Connolly, Sanders (Mandroiu, 88), Tilley. Unused subs: Alzate, Collings, Davies, Ajiboye. Goals: Hutchinson, Tilley. Bookings: Hutchinson.