The top 10 saves of Tim Krul’s award-winning Canaries season
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
After seeing Tim Krul deservedly named Player of the Season, David Freezer picks his top 10 saves of the Dutchman’s 2019-20 campaign - and you can let us know your favourite.
Not including the Player of the Season winner’s penalty saves, here are the top 10 saves we’ve narrowed down from open play. Let us know your number one in the poll below.
10 Soucek v West Ham (h) - The midfielder made great contact with a volley to meet a cross from the right but Krul was able to push the effort over.
9 Aguero v Man City (h) - Raheem Sterling floated a cross to the back post which Sergio Aguero met well with but Krul reacted to punch the header over, as part of his busy evening making sure of a famous 3-2 win for Norwich.
8 Keita v Liverpool (h) - A fine double save kept the score at 0-0, getting down to a Mo Salah shot and then bravely jumping up to deny Naby Keita, only for the leaders to eventually snatch a late winner.
7 Sigurdsson v Everton (a) - Timing was crucial, with the score still at 1-0 after Todd Cantwell’s opener at Goodison Park. Gylfi Sigurdsson squeezed a powerful shot past Christoph Zimmermann and the unsighted Krul guessed correctly, almost like a penalty save, falling on the ball just before his line.
You may also want to watch:
6 Pulisic v Chelsea (a) - Lovely control from the American to turn quickly and thump a rising shot from just to the left of the penalty spot, but Krul tipped onto his crossbar.
5 Lanzini v West Ham (a) - Whipped cross from the left meant Manuel Lanzini just had to flick the header goalwards from close range but Krul sprawled to his left spectacularly.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 8 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 9 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 10 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
4 McNeil v Burnley (h) - An almost gravity-defying save, as Dwight McNeil’s 25-yard free-kick from the left of the D took a deflection off the Norwich wall, only for Krul to stick out his left glove at the last moment as he was heading in the wrong direction, to punch the ball over his bar.
3 Martial v Man Utd (h) - Desperate dive at the last moment somehow turned an Anthony Martial header over the bar, after Marcus Rashford had flicked on a corner at 0-0. On a day he also saved two penalties, certainly didn’t deserve to be on the end of a 3-1 defeat.
2 Neves v Wolves (a) - A nightmare day for City, losing 3-0 at Molineux, but Krul stopped the third arriving sooner when he superbly denied a Ruben Neves free-kick from just inside the D. The Portuguese midfielder thumped his effort towards the top-right corner but the Canaries number one stretched to tip the ball on to the bar.
1 Maguire v Man Utd (h) - Somehow clawed a Harry Maguire header on to the post, when it looked like the ball was just about to cross the line after a Bruno Fernandes corner, with the score still at 1-1 in extra-time. Maguire was able to scramble in a late winner during the FA Cup quarter-final however.