Toronto to make room for one more
Toronto FC have created space for an extra overseas signing - keeping alive the possibility of a Major League Soccer move for Darren Huckerby. Huckerby, 32, released by Norwich City, has repeatedly been linked with the Canadian club, who already have two ex-Canaries in their squad in Jim Brennan and Carl Robinson.
Toronto FC have created space for an extra overseas signing - keeping alive the possibility of a Major League Soccer move for Darren Huckerby.
Huckerby, 32, released by Norwich City, has repeatedly been linked with the Canadian club, who already have two ex-Canaries in their squad in Jim Brennan and Carl Robinson.
The extra vacancy has arisen because Toronto defender Pat Phelan has moved to New England Revolution and the club received an international roster slot in return.
They have 12 international rosters spots, but only 10 are occupied, meaning there is space to bring in another non-Canadian.
You may also want to watch:
American striker Brian McBride - returning to MLS after four years with Fulham - is another option for Toronto because they own his trading rights.
But USA international McBride, 35, has expressed a preference for joining Chicago Fire in his home state of Illinois, and Toronto director of soccer Mo Johnston said he was open to trading McBride's rights as long as TFC received “something big” in return.
- 1 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 2 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 5 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 6 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 8 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 9 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 10 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
“It's nice to have a dream and to finish your career in front of your home town fans,” he said. “But to make that possible Chicago needs to come deal with me.”
The States could still be the destination for out-of-contract City defender Gary Doherty.
Doherty, 28, has yet to agree a new deal at Carrow Road and is reported to have been in talks with San Jose Earthquakes.
With the Republic of Ireland international yet to sign, it leaves Jason Shackell as the only senior central defender on City's books.