Canaries beat Tottenham in friendly ahead of Premier League restart
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City sharpened up for the restart of the Premier League with a 2-1 friendly win over Tottenham Hotspur this afternoon, in a match split into four quarters.
Erik Lamela gave the hosts an early lead but the Canaries responded through striker Josip Drmic turning in a free-kick from youngster Josh Martin and Mario Vrancic scoring direct from a free-kick of his own.
The match was very much played under practise circumstances behind closed doors and was split into four periods of 30 minutes, with Spurs taking the lead in the first quarter before bringing on a raft of youngsters and conceding the two late goals.
A report on Tottenham’s website revealed that top international talent including Harry Kane, Heung-Min Son and Steven Bergwijn all played as they made their comebacks from injury.
World Cup winning captain Hugo Lloris was in goal and fellow French international Moussa Sissoko was also in action for Jose Mourinho’s side, although full teams have not been released.
You may also want to watch:
The report from Spurs states that City keeper Tim Krul had made a good early save to tip a shot from England skipper Kane on to the bar, prior to Lamela turning in Bergwijn’s cross from the left with a powerful header off the underside of the crossbar.
It goes on to say that Dele Alli later twice went close to doubling the lead before Lloris made a good save to deny City left-back Jamal Lewis, followed by Drmic and Vrancic turning the game around in the final 10 minutes.
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 8 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 9 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
- 10 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
The friendly follows on from an intra-squad friendly at Carrow Road on Tuesday which featured some of the club’s academy players, with City releasing a highlights video which featured three goals from each side.
That showed Teemu Pukki and Adam Idah scoring for one team, as well as a spectacular strike from just inside the penalty area from Timm Klose, and finishes from Josip Drmic and Ondrej Duda for the other team, with Hertha Berlin loanee Duda also scoring a penalty.
It’s the third time the Canaries have played at 62,000 capacity Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this year, having narrowly lost 2-1 in the Premier League in January but won a penalty shoot-out in the FA Cup fifth round shortly before football was suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic, after fighting back to draw 1-1.
Both Spurs and Norwich restart their top-flight campaigns on Friday, June 19, City at home to Southampton (6pm) and Tottenham hosting Manchester United (8.15pm).