Tough game for Wymondham
Wymondham Ladies 1, Thorpe Ladies 7WYMONDHAM Ladies took on top-of-the table unbeaten Thorpe, who only needed three points to guarantee the league title.
Wymondham Ladies 1, Thorpe Ladies 7
WYMONDHAM Ladies took on top-of-the table unbeaten Thorpe, who only needed three points to guarantee the league title.
Both teams were up for the game and Wymondham won several early corners. Woody's deliveries were good and the first goal came directly from her corner; the goalkeeper only able to touch it into the roof of the net.
Thorpe responded well, applying pressure, but Wymondham were equal to it, keeping the one goal advantage. There were goal-line clearances from Rachael, Lydia and Mowgli throughout the half; Wymondham putting their bodies on the line in aid of the cause.
You may also want to watch:
Thorpe's pressure soon counted when the right winger pulled the ball back from the goal line and the ball was tapped in. Thorpe then doubled their lead before half-time when the left winger outpaced Wymondham's defence and slotted the ball away to double their advantage. Wymondham's pressure was good and played very well in the first half, the midfield trio of Laura, Woody and Mowgli playing very well, battling Thorpe's midfield.
Half-time score: 2-1.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 4 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 5 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 8 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 9 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
- 10 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
Wymondham started the second half slowly and Thorpe were quick to score their third minutes into the half. Thorpe applied more pressure and without the injured Mowgli, Wymondham conceded more goals against an attacking Thorpe. Wymondham kept going to the end, and all players put in a good shift.
The final score was 7-1 and credit must go to Thorpe who have won all their games and secured promotion to the Eastern Region Football League.
Player-of-the-match was between Woody and Mowgli; Woody's passing heading and set pieces caused Thorpe problems and Mowgli's challenges and attacking flair also caused problems and it was Mowgli who was Wymondham's best player on a difficult day although positives must be taken from their first-half display.
Wymondham's next game is away to Swanton on April 11.