Norwich City on verge of sealing Manchester City forward on Premier League season loan
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Norwich City are on the verge of confirming their first signing of the summer, with Manchester City forward Patrick Roberts joining on a season loan.
The 22-year-old forward, who can play on either flank and centrally behind the lead striker, is set to become the Canaries' first piece of incoming business since securing their return to the Premier League.
Roberts completed his medical on Wednesday after the Citizens sanctioned the move, no doubt helped by the positive experience goalkeeper Angus Gunn enjoyed with a similar spell at Carrow Road for the 2017-18 campaign.
City have confirmed new deals for first-team regulars Timm Klose and Marco Stiepermann since clinching the Championship title earlier this month - but Roberts would represent the first new arrival of the close season.
The forward spent the 2018-19 season on loan at La Liga outfit Girona, making six league starts and 21 appearances in all competitions for a side eventually relegated to the second tier. He was unable to register a goal in a struggling team but did clock an assist in their Copa del Rey victory over La Liga's surprise package Alaves; he also spent two months on the sidelines after sustaining a hamstring injury in December.
You may also want to watch:
The best part of Roberts' three seasons before that were on loan at Celtic - all of them ending with the Scottish title, as well as 18 goals and 26 assists from 78 appearances.
Roberts first emerged from Fulham's youth system, making his Premier League debut in 2014 as an 18-year-old before Manchester City signed him for an undisclosed fee reportedly worth £12m. He has played just four minutes of top-flight action for the club and is reportedly out of contract come next summer.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 3 Can City seal just their third Carrow Road promotion?
- 4 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 5 Another goal for Drmic - could City striker earn Euros recall?
- 6 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 7 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 8 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 9 Connor Southwell: Why Emi Buendia must be crowned City's Player of the Season
- 10 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
City were expected to look at fresh options this summer to play behind their front-line forwards, while Roberts' age and profile also chime with what the Canaries have done since the recruitment reins were handed over to sporting director Stuart Webber.
Harrison Reed's season loan from Southampton was deemed another 2017-18 success, while Jordan Rhodes played his part in City's title journey during his year on loan from Sheffield Wednesday.
The domestic summer transfer window officially opened a fortnight ago, while the international window opens on Tuesday, June 11.
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…