U's defender Ifil on Gunn’s radar
David Cuffley Colchester United defender Phil Ifil is the latest name linked with a summer move to Norwich City.The 22-year-old full-back, who began his career with Tottenham Hotspur, has been out of favour since Paul Lambert took over as manager of the U's and is reported to be on City boss Bryan Gunn's radar.
Colchester United defender Phil Ifil is the latest name linked with a summer move to Norwich City.
The 22-year-old full-back, who began his career with Tottenham Hotspur, has been out of favour since Paul Lambert took over as manager of the U's and is reported to be on City boss Bryan Gunn's radar.
Former Colchester manager Geraint Williams signed Ifil from Spurs 18 months ago for an undisclosed six-figure fee.
You may also want to watch:
But he has not featured much since Lambert's arrival and is believed to be surplus to requirements at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
Londoner Ifil, a former England Under-20 international, made four senior appearances for Spurs, making his debut as a 17-year-old. He later had loan spells with Millwall and Southampton, but Colchester beat the Saints to his signature in January 2008.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 3 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 5 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 6 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 7 Hanley insists winning title 'means everything' to Canaries
- 8 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 9 Watford wanted to stop promoted City enjoying 'showcase game'
- 10 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
His last league appearance at Carrow Road was not a happy one, however. He played in the Essex club's 5-1 defeat in a Championship fixture in March 2008.
Meanwhile, former City skipper Mark Fotheringham's search for a new club continued today when he began a trial with Championship club Derby County.
The 25-year-old midfielder is training with the Rams and is expected to figure in Saturday's opening pre-season friendly against Burton Albion.
Manager Nigel Clough, who said he invited Fotheringham to train at Moor Farm, added: “One or two will be coming in this week, Mark being one of them.
“We are looking to have a practice match on Thursday in-house and he will be involved at Burton on Saturday. Taking a look at players is all part of pre-season.”
Fotheringham has already had a week-long trial with Spanish club Espanyol.
Coventry are also reported to be interested in him but he said: “Derby manager Nigel Clough has invited me to start pre-season training with them and I like the idea of that.”