U18: Portsmouth 1, Norwich City 5
Norwich City Academy side have earned themselves a mouth-watering fourth round FA Youth Cup clash against Newcastle at St James's Park as they scored a convincing 5-1 victory over Portsmouth at Fratton Park last night.
Norwich City's Academy side have earned themselves a mouth-watering fourth round FA Youth Cup clash against Newcastle at St James's Park as they scored a convincing 5-1 victory over Portsmouth at Fratton Park last night.
Star of the show for the Canaries was striker Chris Martin, who scored a goal in either half and had a hand in two of the other goals scored by Kris Renton and Jamie Eames.
The Beccles youngster must have impressed the watching Peter Grant and on this performance he could well have earned himself an early return to the south coast when the Canaries take on Southampton this weekend.
Grant's first team have struggled to find the net recently and, certainly on this showing, Grant may just have witnessed in young Martin a potential answer to his goal-scoring and supply problems.
You may also want to watch:
David Williams' side dominated the game from start to finish but it wasn't until the 26th minute when the young Canaries opened the scoring when Martin beat Nick Jordan in the Pompey goal with a low drive from 20 yards into the bottom right hand corner.
Martin continued the rout after the break when he saw curling shot cannon back off the upright with Renton heading the rebound onto the crossbar. With 65 minutes on the clock Martin scored his and City's second goal when he raced onto a through ball from Bally Smart to slot the ball home.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 3 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 8 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 9 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 10 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
With seven minutes left on the clock City made sure of the tie when Martin turned provider and he slipped into Renton who tucked the ball under Jordan.
Less than 60 seconds later the Canaries found themselves four up when Smart cut in from the left to fire a ball into the far corner.
Eames rounded off a five star performance from City when a disconsolate Jordan spilled the ball into his path.
Portsmouth substitute Matthew Ritchie went on to to score a consolation goal in injury time. The fourth round tie at Newcastle is to be played on a date yet to be decided but before January 20.
t Portsmouth: Jordan, McClory-Cuthbertson, Hartmann, Oastler, Roberts, Lake, Rogers (Ritchie 53), Ward (Walker 75), Torre, Bell (Harris 66), Plumber. Subs not used: Page, Smith
t Norwich City: Arnold, Matthews, O'Toole, Spillane, Quaye, Bexfield, Eames (Muddel 88), Lathrope (Miller 88), Renton (Daley 88), Martin, Smart. Subs not used: Rudd, McLean.
t City man of the man: Chris Martin