United beat Derby to set up FA Cup quarter-final clash with Canaries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Manchester United stand between Norwich City and an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley – teeing up a Carrow Road blockbuster later this month.
The Canaries discovered they would be facing United or Derby County in the quarter-finals on Wednesday night, with the draw made during their 1-1 draw at Tottenham in the fifth round, which Daniel Farke's side went on to win 3-2 on penalties.
The Red Devils went to Derby and cruised to a 3-0 win over the Championship side this evening, denying United legend Wayne Rooney an upset against his former club.
That sets up a trip to Carrow Road for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team on the weekend of March 20-23, which means City's top-flight home clash with Everton will have to be rearranged.
It looks likely the tie will have to be on the Sunday or Monday, due to United having the second leg of their Europa League last 16 tie against Austrian side LASK at Old Trafford on Thursday, March 19.
You may also want to watch:
Details of the game are due to be confirmed in the next few days, with the Canaries having Saturday's trip to Sheffield United and a home clash with Southampton the following Saturday to contend with first in their battle for Premier League survival.
Winning at Spurs has set up the club's first FA Cup quarter-final since 1992 and also earned £360,000 in prize money, with £720,000 up for grabs in the quarters.
- 1 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 2 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 What does Pukki injury mean for City's transfer plans?
- 7 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 8 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 9 Farke reveals title celebration curbs
- 10 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
The Canaries will be trying to seal a fourth semi-final in the club's history and just the second visit to Wembley since the national stadium was rebuilt, having won the Championship play-off final there in 2015.
United won 2-0 at Carrow Road in the fourth round in 1994 but lost 2-1 in Norfolk in the fifth round in 1991.
The only other previous meetings in the competition saw City win 2-1 at Old Trafford in the fourth round in 1967 and a famous 3-0 upset at Carrow Road in the third round in 1959, beating the 'Busby Babes' as part of the club's first run to the semi-finals, as a Division Three side - also meeting way back in 1905, when non-league Norwich lost 3-0 in Manchester in the second round.
The Red Devils currently sit fifth in the Premier League and three points from the Champions League qualification spots, winning 3-1 at Carrow Road in October and easing to a 4-0 success at Old Trafford in January - leaving Farke's team with even more motivation to cause another upset.
- FA Cup quarter-final draw
Newcastle United v Manchester City
Sheffield United v Arsenal
Leicester City v Chelsea
Norwich City v Manchester United