Ex-City striker Van Wolfswinkel extends stay with FC Basel
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ricky van Wolfswinkel has penned a new two-year contract at Swiss side FC Basel despite appearing to announce his departure from the club last week.
The former City record signing has had a turbulent year after battling with a brain aneurysm - a balloon-like bulge in a blood vessel, which can be fatal should it burst.
Van Wolfswinkel discovered the condition after sustaining a severe concussion in a Champions League qualifying match last August.
The Dutch international made a full recovery and returned to action prior to football’s suspension owed to the coronavirus pandemic.
Van Wolfswinkel scored two goals in the last six appearances and has been playing as an attacking midfielder and a winger. The ex-Canaries striker has penned a new two-year deal at the club despite posting a farewell message on his Instagram account last week.
You may also want to watch:
Writing on Instagram, the striker said: “Looking back on my three years at this club, all I can is to thank the fans, the club staff and, of course, my teammates that I worked with on a daily basis.
“Despite the turbulent season, I will never forget how nice it was for me to be part of this club. I will never forget the support you guys have given me. Stay supportive of the team as always. I wish you the best.”
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 8 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 9 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 10 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
Van Wolfswinkel netted only one league goal for City despite the club shelling out a fee believed to be £8.5million for the former Sporting Lisbon striker.