Vase exit for cash-strapped Lowestoft

Lowestoft Town's hopes of a money-spinning run in the FA Vase came to a grinding halt at Crown Meadow at the weekend.

Lowestoft Town's hopes of a money-spinning run in the FA Vase came to a grinding halt at Crown Meadow at the weekend.

The cash-strapped Blues would have banked £1,500 - with the prospect of plenty more to come - had they made it past Ipswich Wanderers to reach the last 16.

But they suffered the cruellest cut of all, conceding a late equaliser and then losing to an own goal in extra time.

There was little to divide the teams until the 65th minute when Neil Prescott, overlapping down the right, crossed, Ali McKenna got a touch to take it over the keeper and Darren Cockrill headed home from close range.

You may also want to watch:

But, with five minutes of normal time left, Wanderers equalised through Louie Farrington. And, early in extra-time, the visitors went ahead when a cross from the right took a wicked deflection off Blues captain and centre-half Marcus Saunders.

Lowestoft piled men forward, including keeper Andy Reynolds. But although they hit the woodwork, an equaliser wouldn't come.

Most Read

Wanderers go into the fifth-round draw along with the only other Ridgeons League survivors, table-topping Mildenhall Town, who beat Sherbourne Town 2-1 with two goals from Neil Docking, despite having a first-minute penalty by Gareth Simpson saved by James Smith.

Sherbourne missed a penalty of their own before Mark Caines scored 20 minutes from time.

In league action, the top three didn't play. Third-placed Wroxham and second-placed Needham Market saw their games at Woodbridge and at home to Stanway respectively postponed because of waterlogged pitches.

Kirkley were 1-0 home winners over Newmarket, thanks to Rob Horton's second-half goal, which puts them behind fourth-placed Soham Town Rangers on goal difference after the Cambridgeshire outfit were held 1-1 at Norwich United.

Dereham hit four without reply at home to Halstead, with Jordan Blyth, Adam Gusterson, Graham Barrett and Sam Willis on the scoresheet, while Wisbech shared eight goals and two red cards in a 4-4 draw against Harwich & Parkeston at Fenland Park.

Stuart Cobb put Wisbech ahead in the first minute, but the visitors scored twice before Luke Kennedy converted a penalty, which led to Lee Matson's dismissal, at the break.

Cobb put Town 3-2 up and then Darren Jimson made it 4-3 after the visitors had equalised. Cobb was given his marching orders - and Lee Underwood completed his hat-trick.

Diss went down 3-2 at home to Leiston, who went two up before Mark Angel pulled one back. Leiston had a player sent off, but still managed a third before David Lawrence scored a consolation for Diss.

Second-from-bottom Norwich United will feel unlucky that they didn't move up the table after their draw with Soham. Adam Sivell's 20th-minute goal was good enough until five minutes from time when Soham equalised.

In Division One, Swaffham stay second after a second-half goal by Doherty earned them the points in a 1-0 win at Yarmouth - who must have wished they had saved some of the seven goals they scored last week.

Fakenham survived a second-half comeback by Debenham to win 3-2. The Ghosts were 2-0 ahead through Colin Wines and Wheeler, but were pegged back after the break before Shaun Rebbeck grabbed a winner.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus