View from the opposition: Sunderland fans will travel to Norwich City in search of some answers
- Credit: PA
Ahead of tomorrow’s Carrow Road clash, we spoke to Sunderland fan RokerReport.com writer Michael Graham, who is unsure what to expect from the Black Cats this season
Is it fair that Sunderland’s promotion chances are being written off so early in the season?
At the moment, I would say yes it is. I think you would rightly look at a team like Sunderland and not know what to expect and to be honest, we’re the same, I don’t know a single Sunderland fan out there who knows what sort of team we’re going to be this season – at all. Until we know more I don’t think you can include us in any kind of talk for the title or the top six or anything like that really. We’re still waiting to find out the exact same as you guys are really.
Clearly a lot of change has gone, as it has done at Carrow Road, two new strikers though, James Vaughan and Lewis Grabban, both will be familiar to Norwich fans – what have you made of those two coming in?
Well James Vaughan has been a funny one so far really, he was one of the first through the door and he’s played every pre-season game – and he’s missed a lot. He’s missed twice from the spot, he missed against Derby too, he looks like one of those classic trier strikers but he may not have as many goals in him as he did last season with Bury in League One. I think we’re going to have to accept that with him. Grabban, I haven’t seen as much of but he seems to be much more of a threat in front of goal. I don’t know if he’ll continue play up front for the whole season, I think he may end up on the wing, Simon Grayson seems to want to get at least one more striker in, maybe two. But certainly he looks a threat, this looks like this is his level, I’m not really shocked to see him come back to this tier. I think where we are, he might do well, I certainly hope that he will.
You may also want to watch:
Which player should Norwich fans be wary of?
Aiden McGeady, certainly. He’s not maybe what he was but his feet are so quick and he holds on to the ball extremely well and I think he’s going to be the biggest threat for us all season.
- 1 Canaries not pursuing Spurs defender; Billing latest
- 2 City release 2021/22 squad numbers
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 4 Norwich City issue face masks advice to fans
- 5 City boss raises the bar ahead of Carrow Road return
- 6 City recruitment chief to join Boro
- 7 Canaries visit a matter of pride for Gills boss
- 8 Balance of risk and reward for Norwich legend at Swansea
- 9 Get ready for 'new, improved' VAR, City fans
- 10 Canaries' Q&A - with Paddy Davitt and Dave Freezer
And a player you’re worried about in Norwich’s ranks?
I haven’t seen that much of them but Wes Hoolahan has always been the one that has always concerned me slightly, he always does well against us.
And finally, your prediction?
I don’t think that Sunderland will win, I think Norwich have got an extremely good coach in Daniel Farke and will be much more settled. Our record, other than the last time we were there (winning 3-0), but I will go for a 1-1 draw.
• Michael Graham was speaking to The Pink Un Show, which is live from 7pm on Mustard TV and youtube.com/OfficialPinkUn on Wednesday nights. He writes for RokerReport.com and can be found on Twitter @Capt_Fishpaste