Wales include Norwich City forward Marley Watkins in squad for World Cup qualifiers against Austria and Moldova
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City forward Marley Watkins has been named in the Wales squad ahead of two World Cup qualifiers during the upcoming international break.
The 26-year-old was handed has first call-up by manager Chris Coleman at the end of last season after scoring 10 goals in 45 games for Barnsley last season.
He was then an unused substitute in a 1-1 Group D draw in Serbia, so is still waiting to win his first cap.
Wales host Austria in Saturday, September 2 and then travel to Moldova the following Tuesday (both 7.45pm kick-offs) and need to win both to remain in with a hope of playing in Russia next summer, with Serbia and Republic of Ireland currently both four points better off.
Watkins has made five appearances for Norwich so far and scored his first goal earlier this week, in a 4-1 win over League One side Charlton Athletic in the second round of the League Cup.
Norwich City 4-1 Charlton: Marley Watkins sure City’s sloppy starts will be ironed out
You may also want to watch:
Born in London but raised in Wales, the former Swansea City trainee is one of six uncapped players named in the 25-man squad, with Real Madrid star Gareth Bale and Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey the star names.
He becomes the seventh senior Canaries player called up for the upcoming international break, including striker Nelson Oliveira being recalled to the Portugal squad.
Steven Naismith and Russell Martin (Scotland), Michael McGovern (Northern Ireland), Wes Hoolahan (Republic of Ireland) and Angus Gunn (England U21s) are the other players set to be on duty.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 5 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 8 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 9 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 10 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City