Was farewell to Troy premature?
Bryan Gunn has denied reports that he is to make striker Troy Powell his 13th signing of the summer. Powell scored twice for a young City side in the 6-0 pre-season win over Fakenham Town.
Bryan Gunn has denied reports that he is to make striker Troy Powell his 13th signing of the summer.
Powell scored twice for a young City side in the 6-0 pre-season win over Fakenham Town.
Reports claimed the 19-year-old - currently with Bracknell - had travelled to Norfolk earlier this week for a medical.
Kerthney Carty, manager of the British Gas Business League team, was quoted in a local paper saying: “I'm really pleased for Troy and wish him all the best, but it means we need to look at getting some replacements in.
You may also want to watch:
“He scored in our pre-season game against Fleet and would have been a big player for us, but we just have to move on now and focus on the new season.”
Gunn, however, insisted that although the interest in Powell - one of four trialists to have featured at Fakenham - remained, it had not reached an advanced stage.
- 1 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 2 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 3 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 4 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City's win at Derby
- 6 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 7 City Q&A: One down. One to go
- 8 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 9 Chris Goreham: No-one should question just how good City have been
- 10 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
“There is nothing to report,” he said. “The guys came in and joined us for a week and we have got them in for another week at the moment, but no final decision has been made.”
Gunn also confirmed that the situations involving want-away players Darel Russell and Dejan Stefanovic remained the same.
Russell hasn't featured in any of City's games since the end of last season and is set to leave the club if an acceptable offer is made, while Stefanovic is negotiating an end to his contract.
One-time Canaries target Alan Lee is being chased by Championship side Swansea City.
Reports in south Wales says Swans boss Paulo Sousa wants the 30-year-old striker to lead his front line - just as Bryan Gunn did before the cost became too much.
Crystal Palace are expected to ask around �500,000 for Lee, who ended the season on loan at Carrow Road and was Gunn's number one transfer target in the summer. But Palace turned down City's offer and Lee stayed at Selhurst Park, scoring Palace's equaliser in a 1-1 home draw against Plymouth on Saturday.
The sticking point for anyone wanting to sign Lee is that Eagles boss Neil Warnock may be unwilling to do business because a transfer embargo has been placed on Palace. Warnock is unable to sign anyone and, while he is thought to have attacking targets in mind, Lee is his sole central striker, with Calvin Andrew and Stern John injured. Palace are trying to persuade the Football League to lift the embargo, which was imposed because of a dispute over unpaid bonuses and signing-on fees from last season.